Home Contests & Challenges Archives Handplane Contest

Handplane Contest - Triton TPL 180 - Finished

Nerdicon3000
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Nerdicon3000 polycounter lvl 8
Well I didn't get as much time as I wanted on this but I worked as hard as I could And I'm pretty proud of the results. I ended up at 8k tris witch I thought was pretty good.

But First, my thoughts on Handplane as a baker. I didn't have any problem with what it produced. I had some pretty rough UV's so I was expecting a whole heap of errors on my first bake but it came out fantastic. It was also very quick. Even when I did my final bakes the only thing that took over 20 secs was the AO, which was pretty slow at 8X SS. But it was on par with Xnormal. I did Have an issue with my cages never getting a green light. They were the exact same mesh with a push modifier so I thought they would be right. I ended up ditching my cages as they kept on showing up errors. Once they were gone I had no problems. I really enjoyed using the material presets and different projection groups. That feature alone will keep me coming back.

The only real problems I had was with the UI. I have a small list of things I hope will help you out, some might just be personnel things but I thought I would put them in anyways.

* When I right clicked in the save directory to make a new folder, the whole program crashed.

* I found myself changing all my material presets when I scrolled down with the scroll wheel on my mouse.

* I was thinking maybe the Material presets could be on the same tab as the projection groups?

* Some sought of preview of the bakes would be nice. 

* This wasn't a problem I had but I think people like to create ID maps from the vertex level. So I'm not sure how that could be used in this workflow.

Replies