Home Technical Talk

UV Packer IPackThat

Replies

• tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    It's been a while since we heard from Snoelk hopefully he is alright. Been loving the program so far and ran into the feature request Beefaroni asked.

- The ability to lock UVs in place while the other shells pack around them

Realized this would be a huge help in packing things together to save texture space. Looks like right now this has to be done manually.
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Trying to update:

• Hellfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hellfire polycounter lvl 14
    @SNOELK
    Can you create a option to cap uv scale smaller one pixel? I have many komplex Vehicles with hundreds uv isles. The smallest are smaller than pixel size. The cap option would be help to lock this small isles to scale down.

• Noren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    @C86G Did you try to run the updater as an administrator? 
  • OccultMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    Is Snoek still developing this actively? Should we ask him? It's such an awesome program! I used it and it works great.
  • dutch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anybody notice a bug related to overwriting files?

When saving over previous obj's ipackthat seems to append the overwritten file. Max often doesn't like it much when importing.

• Phoenix995
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995 polycounter
    Is IPackThat better than the new Uv Layout in maya 2016 extension 2?

As far as i am concerned i don't see why IPackThat would be better.
    IPackthat: 3h packing - 16% waste

Maya: 30 Sec Packing - 16% Waste

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    i see the same here... the latest maya version is much faster...
  • Smoluck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smoluck polycounter lvl 7
    Even if Maya have got huge performance improvement, it didn't mean that we should left off to support PBSnoelk and is Tool, cause even if you'll can get good result in Maya, there is tons of cases where i'm sure IPT can rock better, and of course way more than other 3D package. keep it up, there is many concerns around features that can be implemented in the next release. As you might know about Maya History, It was been a long time when maya didn't catch good new features on UV's. But as far i remember, Maya was already a good tool at the start and with some script or plugin, it can be Powerfull.
  • 0z_TM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    0z_TM null
    Hi.
    I Just purchased IPackThat recently. It was work as I expected. 
    I have some feature requests:

1. option for do not move, rotate, scale UV. (or something like toggle for [can move].)

Sometimes, I want to use some parts of UVs as pre-arranged UV.
    There is parts and UVs that shared across multiple assets.
    I draw texture with first one, then use it in multiple assets.
    I thought Ignore processing is work for this, 
    but it really ignore all, so UV overlaped with other UVs.

2. option for cluster in same group always scale with same percentage.

Some UVs need to keep same texel scale.
    If cluster group always scale it with same percentage, I am very appreciate it.
    (or does IpackThat already do this?)

3. option for checker map overlay(or image overlay).

4. option for display texel scale for each cluster.
    I am happy that I can compare the texel of each cluster.

Thank you.
  • Tzur_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    Is IPackThat better than the new Uv Layout in maya 2016 extension 2?

As far as i am concerned i don't see why IPackThat would be better.
    IPackthat: 3h packing - 16% waste

what settings did you use when packing in Maya?
  • Phoenix995
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995 polycounter

i think i used this one

but you dont need to set the Packing Resolution to such a high number, 1024 or less should be good as well.
  • Smoluck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do the Main Dev, can read our thread here, i don't know when the "Leave This Group" in place will be added, but at that time, the Groups are only useful if you work with UDIM, that all...

If i want to define Don't process that Group, all the other UV island should be placed all around that group, but it didn't work like that.

I feel sad to see no new update since end April.

my release is 1.7.5962.28799 but the one in the ReleaseNote end to 1.7.5962.28588, look strange or just Bugfixing release,

By the way i've seen an Error message if you try to load an FBX and skip the Process on the UV set 2, at least from modo.
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    beetledig said:
    Looks like no support at all. Really disappointing for cool but pretty buggy product $60 costs.
    No support? [PB]SNOELK has been one of the most supportive devs here on Polycount. 
    Definitely not active supporting now :( Last response was Feb 2nd. That was 6 months ago.
  • pOgOstyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pOgOstyle polycounter lvl 8
    Maya Layout is still singlecore and i didnt  get similar good results for organic stuff. Maybe the 90 degrees mode is faster.

I also wait for a sign of life from the dev before i'll intergrate this tool full in my pipe.
  • Tzur_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    SNOELK, what's going on with the development of this?  there hasn't been an updated for so long.
  • Hellfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since the last update i have a problem with imported uv. I have the first 16 solutions 100,1% wastet area.
    By complex objects with over 800 uvs is this so bad. :(
    Have anyone a solution for my problem?

• RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    According to his profile the last time he went on Polycount was March.
  • Hellfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ty RobeOmega i try contact Smolk to another platform.

• Swayam_9shah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swayam_9shah polycounter lvl 7
    Hi,
    I have been trying to use the Demo version to see how it works etc. and everytime i press ctrl A or double click it crashes. Also when i press the start packing button it crashes. I am using the Steam version for trying it out. I am using Windows 8.1. Feel free to ask any doubts you have to fix it. 

Cheers,
    Swayam
  • Phoenix995
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995 polycounter
    I really would like to know if the tool will be updated at all in the future....
  • Phoenix995
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995 polycounter
    pOgOstyle said:
    Maya Layout is still singlecore and i didnt  get similar good results for organic stuff. Maybe the 90 degrees mode is faster.

I also wait for a sign of life from the dev before i'll intergrate this tool full in my pipe.
    I wouldn't say that. I mean you are right about the singlecore, but the results are by no means better with i pack that. Maya and I pack that have basically the same option for you to choose. i pack that uses 90 degrees rotation steps as a standard option as well es maya.
  • Smoluck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really would like to know if the tool will be updated at all in the future....
    PB Snoelk have got  some things to do more important, and as far as i'm exchanging with them, is really taking care of his IPT users. Stay tuned, i could just say that some of the features request will be added soon.
  • Lando_Mange
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lando_Mange polycounter lvl 9
    I'm having trouble with iPackThat atm, everytime I start the program, the a small "Loading window" pops up, then immidieatly closes down agian and the software never launches. Anyone know why, anyone been experiencing this before me? Would love some help cause atm I can't even use the software : (
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    I'm having trouble with iPackThat atm, everytime I start the program, the a small "Loading window" pops up, then immidieatly closes down agian and the software never launches. Anyone know why, anyone been experiencing this before me? Would love some help cause atm I can't even use the software : (
    If you bought it from Gumroad, use the portable version. The installer version gave me the same issue.

• Lando_Mange
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lando_Mange polycounter lvl 9
    If you bought it from Gumroad, use the portable version. The installer version gave me the same issue.

Thanks for the tip, actually I solved it by just running it as admin, good old "trick" that I too often forget about :open_mouth:
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    7 Months of no updates. I've unwrapped two models before coming across an issue with the third and decided to wait for an update, which I now don't believe is coming. If you aren't going to update it further but want to continue selling it 'as it is' I believe it would be prudent to update the steam page with a message explaining thus. "This software is no longer in development but will continue to be licensed as-is.". Either that or let us know that updates are indeed coming.
  • retmia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    retmia polycounter lvl 8
    Hello,
    I hope IPT is still alive, I've had some great results with it by the past. Although I have to say that on my last meshes (characters) it appears to be infinitely slower than it used to :/ : 2 min 20 sec to 4 min + for packing a solution with  76 clusters (on a six core i7) ... For no reason, am I missing some optimization ? Does it comes from a bug of a recent update ? Sometimes it just remains stuck for minutes on a cluster ...

Thanks PB Snoelk for the tool, I hope you can make IPT fast and strong as I remember it used to be !

• shogunato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shogunato polycounter lvl 12
    I got and udpated the demo from the first page.
    I always get the same message when importing obj or fbx

• NickBack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NickBack polycounter lvl 8
    I sincerely hope this is still under development. I don't regret my purchase, I already packed enough UVs for my money's worth.

But, it's a little slow atm and there are a ton of minor issues that stop it from producing stellar results at times. I think with a little more development it can easily become a must have tool.
  • [PB]Snoelk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [PB]Snoelk polycounter lvl 7
    Hello folks :)

sorry for not writing anything the last month. Been very busy with testing new algos fir ipackthat and rewriting everything from the scratch in native c++ with directx11 gpu compute shaders. its very very time consuming. im also bugfixing the current version with the mails i got ( thanks smoluck :) )
    additionally i move in my compay from the art department to the coding department and they filled me up with work ^^

i got a new beta branch available inside steam with some bugfixed for the current version ( windows 10 crash etc). the new version got a small problem with the upload with the stream client ( its often skipping the visial shaders argh )

to make it short im still coding and working on IPackThat. My core work at our game at piranha-bytes called Elex will also be not so time consuming in the near future, so i can to more work on IPackThat again.
    Additionally i will answer all the messages and feature requests that piled up here ^^
    Plenty of new features are also gotten as basic code rework in my new code base. The old code base in c# is hard to adjust for those new features (like blocking parts etc).

merry christmass to all and more the next days, i promisse
    ps:
    write me directly for feature request and bug repost
    support@ipackthat.com
  • alekseypindrus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alekseypindrus polycounter lvl 10
    @[PB]Snoelk Don't forget about Steam forums, there are many bugs/feature requests there.

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    I see the beta version on Steam - thank you! I'm curious as to what the fixes are with this version?
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the update. It's appreciated! Glad to see this is still being worked on!
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Just bought my copy of IPackThat from Gumroad today after play a while with the Steam demo. The software runs fine with just 1 problem though, the demo version (1.7.5708.17303) pack much nicer then the indie version (1.7.5962.29094). I think I saw someone commented regarding this a while back, but it still happening until the latest version today, so is it possible to revert the version to an older version?

Just to compare the indie version found a 29% wasted space on the 8th solution and demo version found a 21% wasted space on the 4th solution.
    It's kinda step backwards :neutral:

Also I noticed the Save Global Setting doesn't save the View Option setting. It'll be nice if it save those options too.
  • pOgOstyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pOgOstyle polycounter lvl 8
    Gumroad beta would be great  :*
  • NickBack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    +1 for beta access for Gumroad :)
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    @[PB]Snoelk - does IPackThat has access to object's name on import and export? if it does, it'll be very nice to have a name preset to save during export. For example my mesh name "barrel_low" on import and rename it to "packed_barrel_low" on export, therefor when I bring the object back to Max, I can run a MAXscript to copy the packed UV channel info into my original mesh without having to do it one by one manually. BTW, I'm not saying about the .obj file name, it's the mesh name inside the .obj.

I do this is because if I use .obj, normally the smoothing group will get messed up and also UV2 will be ignored completely. So by just copy and paste UV info, I can still keep my original object's UV/ smoothing group/ etc.

Does anyone else do the same thing? or is there any better workflow?

PS: I tried .fbx it somehow crashed my max on import, so I use .obj instead.
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    I found a problem with IPackThat Steam installer. When I choose startup language to Turkish(my default at steam) the program won't start because of missing files. Even verifying integrity doesn't fix it. IPackThat don't start with default installation in my case. It took me a while to find the problem is the startup language, setting it do English downloads the missing files then program starts. 
  • NickBack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Has anyone used the beta? Is it better? I have the Gumroad version, so no beta for me (yet?).
  • xChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 9
    Gumroad link is here, it was posted on the FB page:

https://gumroad.com/l/PBTools_IPackThat
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    xChris said:
    Gumroad link is here, it was posted on the FB page:

https://gumroad.com/l/PBTools_IPackThat
    There is no beta version here...
  • NickBack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any updates? It has been a while. Gumroad users still have no access to the beta and no "normal" update has come out yet.
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    the app doesn't work for me on Windows 10 on my new setup. It's on Steam, says loading and then stays in Windows tasks forever without opening.
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    @dzibarik it's happened to me before for the Gumroad version, turns out that it seems to me IPT doesn't have access to internet connection and missing some file cus unable to download, or so I believe.

This solution is kinda weird but do you have IPackThat.ex~ on the installation folder? if not, try to copy the default IPackThat.exe and rename it to IPackThat.ex~ and place back on the installation folder. I'm not sure whether it's gonna fix the problem or not though..

I notice this file is when I try to install the program, same thing happened like you said, but if I try to launch the portable version, it open without any problem, the difference between the two is that the portable has IPackThat.ex~ and install doesn't, but then I try to copy the IPackThat.ex~ from the portable folder to the install folder, it then launch without any issue.
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    the solution was to install it on the other drive

• DerPimpvater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerPimpvater polycounter lvl 6
    Hey all! 

after having played around with iPackThat`s demo on steam a few days ago and getting some great results with it, I decided to purchase the full version on Gumroad. After the install It seems that the packing algorithm is entirely different. Below you can see the result from the full version compared to the tests I did in thee demo version on steam. Both ran for 10 minutes with the same settings. I am quite disappointed after spending around 60€ on the full version. 

If someone has had similar issues regarding the demo-version and the full gumroad version, please let me know if you found a fix!

Regards,

A sad Packer
  • Phoenix995
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995 polycounter
    Hey all! 

after having played around with iPackThat`s demo on steam a few days ago and getting some great results with it, I decided to purchase the full version on Gumroad. After the install It seems that the packing algorithm is entirely different. Below you can see the result from the full version compared to the tests I did in thee demo version on steam. Both ran for 10 minutes with the same settings. I am quite disappointed after spending around 60€ on the full version. 

If someone has had similar issues regarding the demo-version and the full gumroad version, please let me know if you found a fix!

Regards,

A sad Packer
    have you tried packing your model in maya 2017?
    models with that amount of shells normally give better or same results than ipackthat.
  • DerPimpvater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerPimpvater polycounter lvl 6
    Phoenix995 Hey man, something I could also try out I guess, although I main 3ds max at the moment. I will give Maya a shot! Thanks. Still would love to see iPackThat work for the amount of money I spend on it though :)
  • Tzur_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    I agree it ain't no cheap program for what it does.  I'm quite disappointed - and the fact that there haven't been any updates in so long is even worse.  been 4 months since the developer's last reply...