Home Career & Education

Should I be working for royalties?

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
spexel polycounter lvl 2
Alright so I got this job offer and they want me to work for royalties. Here is my situation. Right now I am playing poker professionnally 3 days a week and working on my portfolio 4 days a week. I think I am getting close to a skill level where I can start charging for my art. I never had a paid job before so taking their offer would not directly cost me money beside the time spent on their project vs what I would have made job hunting some freelance job. I also talked with them about my fear of working a couple of months on something without being able to put it in my portfolio because of the NDA and they assured me that I would be eventually able to share the work I've done. 

My question is what are the thing I should clarify with them if I do take the offer? Should I take the offer to gain experience since the chances of me landing a job in the next couple of month are low and that I would probably just keep working on my portfolio anyways?

Replies

• Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Personally, you're better off working on your portfolio than working "for royalties" (that will probably never appear).

Promises of "royalties" are just a way to get people to work on a project for free; most of these projects never get finished. If you're fine knowing both of those things, but you really like what they're doing, it might still be a good experience, but treat it the way it deserves to be treated: an unpaid project you're doing in your spare time.
  • spexel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spexel polycounter lvl 2
    Joopson said:
    Personally, you're better off working on your portfolio than working "for royalties" (that will probably never appear).

Promises of "royalties" are just a way to get people to work on a project for free; most of these projects never get finished. If you're fine knowing both of those things, but you really like what they're doing, it might still be a good experience, but treat it the way it deserves to be treated: an unpaid project you're doing in your spare time.
    This is how I see it. I'm just debating if I should work on my portfolio and do whatever I want or do what they want but gain experience in a more "professionnal" environment with deadline and constraint. 
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can always make money from your art if you sell the assets on the Unity asset store or similar.  Your work has value.

If you are working for royalties, you are essentially financing their company with free labour.  You are their dream investor:  you are putting all of your resources into THEIR company and getting nothing but a promise back.
  • spexel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spexel polycounter lvl 2
    Alright, I won't do it. Thanks guys
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you change your mind and decide to accept the role (or anyone else reading this), make sure you get everything in writing.

As I said in another recent thread, a contract is your chance to communicate clearly what each side is promising to do, and what you'll both get from the partnership.

Oral agreements are crap! And very unprofessional. But mostly just crap. ;)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    View any royality work as volunteer work. If it's exactly what you want to make, and you could put it in your portfolio, it could be a fun experience. But if they are enforcing an NDA and you don't have rights to the assets, I wouldn't consider it. But also, it kinda sets a bad precedent for other artists when you work for free or lower than what you deserve to be paid, don't let yourself and your skills be simply exploited, make sure you are getting as much out of the deal as they are. Which could mean you having the rights to sell those assets on a market place.
  • Zack Maxwell
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    If that person has no means to pay you but has a cool project/grounded with proper tools/direction/schedules AND  you have no bills to pay then go for it ( this is like 0.1%).

but if the project leader has got money to pay you but still chooses royalty based work for you then he also doesnt believe in the project and is trying to scam you for free work. These individuals are dangerous , avoid them at all cost.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    another thing in my experience to look out for is what these project leaders are actually contributing themselves. if they are just the 'ideas/marketing/webdesign' guy but like to call the shots for the whole project then it's not going to work out anyway. ever.
    if it's a team full of artists and no coders then it's neither going to see the light of day (might still lead to decent foliopieces though).
    if it's a programmer looking to team up with an artist to make that prototype that then attracts funding then that must be Joao's 0.1 % where one day perhaps - if you don't get scammed - you might see a return.

• cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    ^ Hah, yes, the "idea" guys are usually the best. Even though it's mostly 17 yr old's operating from their parent's basement, they've sure as hell put a lot of thought into kicking World of Warcraft (insert other popular game here) off the top spot!
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    If I was in your position it would have to be a killer project I would be willing to work on regardless of payment or not. If the brief was so amazing and I had creative freedom and the chance to show my work, I'd do it. That almost never happens though. What you want to avoid is an uncomfortable working environment. In commercial work there is always stuff you just have to get done, and those parts without ensured return can be pretty tough. You could also refuse to sign a contract and just try it out for a bit to satisfy your curiosity. In short though, if the studio has to get work done without guaranteeing payment I'd steer clear. Thats a personal view though.

Cheerio
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17