Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dakinaza Female (hunter warrior) WIP

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
GeoCat polycounter lvl 7
Now that I got things sorted on the earlier concepts of this from my sketchbook, thought I'd make it an official WIP, focused on finishing up the character, for now anyway. 

The title of this piece “Thinking about Lunch: fresh fish implies certain things and is the pillar idea for the characters and final images. One the key things that really got this thing back on course was remembering the back story, doing some further research, and making her skin red. Was never really settled on the first pass of the charcter and everything seem to fall into place after going through an old write up, the research and making her physical in alignment with the source material. Kimara (working name) belongs to a guild or tribe of hunter/warriors in the Netherworld, known as Dakinaza, rumored in the netherworld to be one of the lost descendants of the goddess, Kali. The Dakinaza are now the appointed guardians of the Animal realm, on account of their service to the higher realms.

They’re job, to protect the Animal realm from intruders and thieves that might disturb the balance of things in the netherworld. The Animal Realm is abundant with sought after resources and energies. The Dakinaza’s  Rewards for their service to the Animal realm, include enchantment, and dominion over its abundance of the netherworlds finest foods and resources that grant them long lives full of vitality and youth. “Fresh Fish” is by far and wide the most popular and favorite among this tribe of enchanted, masterful, hunters, and warriors.

Most recent screens of the Bull Dragon. I haven't really touched this in almost two weeks, but its where I last left it...

Dakinaza Female thus far...

Thoughts and feedback more than welcome! 

Replies

• GeoCat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeoCat polycounter lvl 7
    I guess this is just a big old turd, not even deserving of feedback.... should I give up on this project? 
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    Not getting feedback does not equal to that you should give up on anything. And also, no art piece is entitled to feedback, that is just silly. But since you are on a good way I think I could shime in some pointers. 

Firstly the bull.

Overall balance is a bit off, with its back part being lower than the chest it feels more like a  feline than bull like. I know you said that you want a bull/dragon thingy, but right now the design does not read either dragony or bull like. I think you should study both bulls and for example Komodo dragons to find something that could push your creature. The anatomy of the legs are also quite undefined, and the foreleg is very stiff without any organic curves to them.
    It would be nice if you posted some images from other angles other than the side as well if you want feedback. 

Image on a Komodo Dragon
    http://kids.nationalgeographic.com/content/dam/kids/photos/animals/Reptiles/H-P/komodo-dragon-white-background.jpg

Images on Bulls
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-SAU7NjY1EzU/UTBNiF-qtaI/AAAAAAAABng/6PFtu3Czxdk/s1600/Bull+Cow+2.jpg 

http://www.biographixmedia.com/veterinary/hereford-bull-anatomy.jpg

Secondly the girl. 

I recommend you too look a lot more on references for her, as of  right now she looks  undernourished. Her calves are very thin, same with the thighs. Her rib cage is too small and that makes her stomach just taper up from the hips unnaturally. The shape of the boobs and the ass from the side look like they have a very waterballoon'ish property to them, and that is not so correct when it comes t how boobs behave in real life, once again check references. And I believe that her head is a tad to large. The armor pieces are coming along great. 

Worth pointing out here is that this is all my opinion and observations. If you would like I could do a paintover tomorrow to show you some of the points. Do you have a concept that you are following or a moodboard or something similar? Any way good luck.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, 12 hours without feedback, sounds like a good time to give up. I kid! But seriously not everything needs feedback.

Anyhow the art looks great so far. Are you working from concepts? Whose?

The resolution on your female is pretty uneven, some tiny parts have a ton of detail, while other larger parts are pretty chunky (hair for example).

Is your intention to get this into a game engine, or just save still shots in Toolbag?

And wasn't this already posted in your Sketchbook?
  • GeoCat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeoCat polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the feed back guys!
    @ Nuclear Angel 
    Thanks very much!
    You confirmed some of my suspicions about the proportions. I don't mind a little "water balloonyness "in certain areas, but I'm definitely not going for malnourished. I did want bustier legs and fairly robust rump....

I'm working the proportions now, and will post the update without the armor. If there are still issues, yes a paintover would be much appreciated :)

As for the Bull Dragon, It is more or less a Big Cat, with a bullish head(meaning broad thick head and horns) and temperament. Reptile is being implied in the feet and tail. Its skin is made up of tight, coarse scales. Like shark skin so it can just rip through dense forests, and deal with enemies, and prey without taking to much damage. I'll probably end up renaming  it after a mythological entity. Not perzactly, but "inspired" by some mythological entity. That way it would have its own identity. The idea wasn't to combine the feature's of a Bull and Dragon, which the name does imply. It was initially inspired by Chinese dragons, well the head anyway....

@ Eric 

Yes, the Character is scheduled to be a game asset, and hirez statue render. I'm probably going to put the game asset up on Unity asset store, with a mechanim configured rig. Once all the assets are finished I'm going to create a real-time illustration in marmoset as well. 

And yes, this was started in my sketchbook. But is officially a WIP now so thought I'd finish it up here.

There is no explicit concept for this.... but here are the key images I'm working from. The two Lineage 2 statues are what I'm aiming for proportionally/anatomically overall really. 

And I guess you could say the initial concept was inspired by this piece by http://robekka.deviantart.com/

other related ref at this point....

Thanks again for the replies, guys!

C&C is more than welcome! 

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for sharing these!

As for the jobs sections here, they're there because people wanted a place to seek each other. That's it. We're not really an employment site, and besides we don't have the manpower to moderate everything. You're on your own, really as it should be I think. 

About employers not replying, have you ever been on the hiring end? It's a lot of work just finding someone capable to fill the seat and get the work done right. But there are many reasons why no replies are sent. Worth a read:
    http://polycount.com/discussion/157738/game-industry-recruiter-taking-in-questions

Check out: 
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Game_Industry

Also remember a lot of business is conducted via private messages. We used to enforce the use of PMs, since business is best conducted 1 on 1. But it was a constant tidal wave of moderation work, and no one likes being reprimanded anyhow.
  • GeoCat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeoCat polycounter lvl 7
     Yep.... thanks for the info, Eric. Much appreciated, were on our own, no doubt. Who am I to expect interaction and courtesy being active in a community? so silly of me... 

Although, imo, I don't think it would be allot of work to make some further rules for the freelance posting. Its been my experience that larger Companies do reply in some manner. All I was saying was the freelance postings should at the very least be required to say at some point... "we filled the position, or its no longer available" something. Instead of having the thread live, and people inquiring for months on end into a ghost job, or illegitimate job and company.... pretty common courtesy that would take the OP about 5 minutes... log in > go to post > "the position is filled, or not available"... or you all suck, buzz off :) JK. Very simple.  I wasn't suggesting to address and regulate issues with recruiters, and industry at large which do exercise courtesy. Honestly I think allot of the freelance postings are fake or something anyway. ... 

• GeoCat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeoCat polycounter lvl 7
    Tweaked the anatomy and proportions some....

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You could make a post in General Discussion with ideas about the Freelance section, that would be great.
  • kaiceps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaiceps polycounter lvl 4
    Her neck feels too short, looks like her neck is leaning towards the viewer.

Waist is slightly too thin but might be the art style you're going for. Try making it wider and see if the silhouette improves or not.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Hi GeoCat, I know not getting feedbacks feels frustrating but it doesn't mean your work is bad. If people don't say anyhting it's generally not bad, but it's not "awesome" either. It's just that people here are used to see the same kind of stuff again and again and they are less and less impressed by "normal" stuff.

As for your character, except for the skin color which hurts my eyes ( personal preference ), it looks pretty good. I like the armor with all the skulls details.

The proportions might not be the only problem though, you should try to give her more curves and more weight ( also don't post orthographic views, it's better to see the character in perspective ). It's useful to analyze the refs and draw some lines to highlight the silhouette and see the differences.

I used different refs as yours but here is the idea. Keep in mind that my lines are exaggerated on purpose. Try to do that with Lineage characters, you'll see that they have extremely long legs and really small heads in comparison, a bit like Bayonetta. This is what gives them their specific look.

Using statues as refs is really useful. Sometimes it's better to use an un-posed sculpt too, and cross-referencing with photos for the details and a more accurate representation ( a sculpt, especially stylized, is only an interpretation of another artist ).

Look at dem curves !

• PEET?
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PEET? polycounter lvl 5
    First off, its difficult to give feedback without seeing the initial concept or reference. Without understanding your goals or visual target, feedback will be based on realism or personal taste. Starting with your visual goals will allow people to help steer you in your desired direction. 

Here is a quick paintover based on your goal for hitting the Lineage proportions. Like Texelion pointed out, much like Bayonetta, Lineage characters have very long legs and small heads. If you want to hit these proportions you will need to push your exaggeration in these areas. 

If you chose something else to aim for. Find your specific reference and share it with the group so they can help you hit your target. The more clear you are with your goals the easier it will be for others to help you with useful feedback. Good luck. 
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    Hard to follow up such an amazing paintover. But to illustrate my point regarding her features from the side, it is not a perfect paintover and might not be what you are looking after. But it illustrates my point regarding the boobs and the ass and its almost liquid properties.

If you want to have bigger boobs than the ones I painted, they should still keep a similar shape, since the bra holds up the breasts. In the sculpture references you posted the boobs have more of a push up effect than a hanging effect. 

And I second the post above, you need to post a more clear vision for your goals. Which style is it? What features do you want to have on the character and so forth. 

Regarding your dragon thing I think you should focus on the character first, and do the monster afterwards. 
  • Generic_Human
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Generic_Human polycounter lvl 3
    i agree with what the others have said, the paintover from the side that Nuclear Angel did really improved the proportion it was looking a little bit distorted on the actual model, keep going man i will be looking forward to see this finished :)