Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Steampunk D.va

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Texelion polycounter lvl 8
Hey there ! I didn't do a single game-ready character since I started doing 3D prints so I thought it was time to try again.

I'm gonna try to create a new skin for D.va from Overwatch, and after hesitating between a cyberpunk ( inspired by Ghost in the Shell outfits ) and steampunk, I finally went for steampunk.

Project goals :

- making a recognizable D.va
- doing good details and believable gear
- learning Substance Painter and create good PBR textures
- geting a result as badass as possible without half-assing everything like I usually do
- ???
- profit !

So let's get started.

I - Base body

I used the ref sheet provided by Blizzard for the proportions, and just changed the face a bit. I'm not going for 100% likeness anyway. Headphones and hair are placeholder, don't know yet if I'll keep that haircut or do a more "steampunk" one.

II - Steampunk refs gathering

Lot of choice here, and it will be difficult to choose. Basically I separated the refs in 3 "paths" : 

1 ) The adventurer/pilot/mechanic

Less fancy and more practical, this is the more suited for combat I think.

2 ) The elegant

Generally wearing a corset and a dress, not really suited for combat, but it looks good.

3 ) The cutie

A mix of both, I think that's what would fit her best.

4 ) Stuff to avoid

Anything that is just "put some gears here and there for no purpose".

5 ) Accessories

First the headphones, I'll replace them with some big ass vintage design while keeping the "bunny ears" design. I could add an aiming device on one eye and/or googles on the top of her head. I'll try to not overload though.

As additional accessories, IF the design permits it she'll have a watch on one arm and a bracer on the other, and several pouches. I want to integrate a holster for her gun too. And finally for her gamer aspect I could add a steampunk Gameboy or other gaming device.

Well that's all for now. I'll try to make a bit of concept for the clothes this week.
This project is gonna take a lot of time so feel free to give your mind and pinpoints errors, give some ideas, etc.

Replies

• Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    Base body looks good so far, although I'm not sold on the knee anatomy. The kneecap area could stand to be a little leaner, I think, to match the slim legs.

I like your reference selection, curious to see how it will turn out! ^_^
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I see what you mean, I always do "fat" knees ^^. And I've learned recently that some people have a fetish about that... People are weird.

Should have precised that the body isn't really detailed as it will be covered almost entirely.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OMG this is taking forever, remembers me why I don't draw often, would be quicker to just modelize it... I could probably do 2 or 3 other Overwatch characters with Steampunk skins with all those refs... A steampunk sky-pirate Tracer or steampunk cowboy McCree...

( useless image removed )
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished a first concept. Of course there will be pouches and the holster and belts on top of that.

I don't really like the legs though, I'll try with some pants instead of the skirt.

• Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New concepts with pants this time, and a variation of the arms and legs. I added a holster too but that will be more defined later, like the headphones btw.

I think I prefer the pants, but the overall looks kinda reminds me of pajamas XD. Maybe I should remove the stripes and change the colors ?

I'd like to try something with more metal pieces and wires and stuff.
  • zbyszko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zbyszko polycounter lvl 7
    IIIa looks good .

• o0_themilkybarkid_0o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    o0_themilkybarkid_0o polycounter lvl 2
    The concept art looks fantastic! I'd play around with the colours a bit too. I can see where you're going with the blue to match her original outfit, but it could look amazing in orange or that hot-pink that she has on her original costume. 
  • Opilo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Opilo triangle
    Really nice work overall! And you have definitely done your preparation work. Inspiring. I really have to up my own pre-modelling game. :)
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Concept looks great man!  
  • Rakisan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rakisan polycounter lvl 2
    I'm loving the concept!  <3 and great work so far ! 
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys, appreciated.

I played with the colors to find another scheme I like, and changed a lot of stuff too. New pants, boots, top and belts/holster, I changed the watch a bit too and some other stuff.

Winky peace !
  • FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    Haha, awesome!  B)
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    Really sold on the last design, those concepts are hella clean! Maybe there is a way you can integrate her default colors more? Like pink gems and glowy pieces instead of green? I image that without her mech it will be harder to recognize a re-skin of her with different colors.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The problem is that her default colors don't fit the steampunk style. The bright green parts I did probably won't stay like this, I'll have to see that later.

But here is a test with her original colors. Doesn't work at all with the leather, and even then colors in steampunk designs are generally darker and desaturated.

• Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    Maybe try the left color scheme with a deep blue instead? A deep blue velvet material can still be steampunk, I think.
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    I think a darker blue as @Wendy de Boer pointed out might be able to work, I did a quick color paint over to maybe give you some ideas:

I think the lack of white was also making it read less as D.Va, if you want to steampunk-ize it, maybe more of an off white or cream? Just a few ideas, however it's really up to you. The concept is still really good, I look forward to seeing the design in 3D :)

• Aren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aren polycounter lvl 9
    I'm with @Wendy de Boer as well. Trying to keep those vibrant colors of the original I don't think is a good idea. Just take a look at your reference sheet, you'll notice that deep, mid-to-low-saturated colors are the prefered palette. Try some very deep blue and purple. Also don't drop the stripes, keep 'em but not in all the outfit to avoid that pajama look you mentioned. Finally, the symmetry of the boots is important IMO. Good work so far.
  • romy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    romy polycounter lvl 12
    I tend to disagree with @Alemja as well, you don't need to keep the original colors of the default skin to recognise dva, silhouette and animation are more than enough for that. After all, dva's skins have many different colors in the original game : http://wiki.teamliquid.net/overwatch/D.Va/Skins

I like those colors you picked before :

• Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blue and white... honestly it reminds me of army uniforms XD. Not gonna use that.

But I'm sure any dark, desaturated color would do it. Here is one in blue : 

I still prefer the red and green tho, so for now I'll go for this, but it wouldn't be hard to have several variations in the shader later I guess.

I did a steampunk bunny logo too...

• Ouran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ouran greentooth
    Really digging the steampunk logo ^^

Regarding the outfit, I think you got the steampunk vibe but it could use more simplification in terms of amount of detail to get closer to the Overwatch style.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i would definately make it with more copper\metal parts like steampunk art. It has too many bolts tho imo , but i like the last color scheme you did. i dont think the blue one fits the char much to be honest. Any plans on making the mech :D ?

keep at it !
  • GeoCat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeoCat polycounter lvl 7
    Concept is looking good, Tex! I definitely like the green pants version though. Although I will say that its probably going to be hard to tell which color scheme is best until look dev, in 3D. I also think a hipster do for the hair would be worth exploring....

I'm sure it will be great whatever you decide though...

my 2

Edit: I like the stripes on the clothing for her as well. I think it helps move the viewers eye through the design. It also seems to be a definitive trait in allot of the steampunk reference. Her shape in the sculpt is nice too...
  • Bilfrok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bilfrok polycounter lvl 7
    Awesome concept!
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ouran said:
    Really digging the steampunk logo ^^

Regarding the outfit, I think you got the steampunk vibe but it could use more simplification in terms of amount of detail to get closer to the Overwatch style.
    True, I thought I would do some kind of really detailed "cinematic character" for once, but in the end I'm going for a normal one. I'll try to remove some useless details here and there and make the existing ones bigger for readability.

i would definately make it with more copper\metal parts like steampunk art. It has too many bolts tho imo , but i like the last color scheme you did. i dont think the blue one fits the char much to be honest. Any plans on making the mech :D ?

keep at it !
    I don't really know where to put more metal here without changing it too much. As it's not bendable I'd avoid putting it near joints, the thighs are already heavily covered by all the straps. Maybe on the lower legs then as protection ? The bracers will have more metal too, and the elbow pad. I will also add some kind of little "compressor" on her back powering her gun I think.

I'm really not sure I could design a steampunk mech, even based on the existing one. But if you feel like it be my guest, you seem good with this ^^.

GeoCat said:
    Concept is looking good, Tex! I definitely like the green pants version though. Although I will say that its probably going to be hard to tell which color scheme is best until look dev, in 3D. I also think a hipster do for the hair would be worth exploring....

I'm sure it will be great whatever you decide though...

my 2

Edit: I like the stripes on the clothing for her as well. I think it helps move the viewers eye through the design. It also seems to be a definitive trait in allot of the steampunk reference. Her shape in the sculpt is nice too...
    For the hair I had the idea to let it like this on the front, but change the back to add some ornaments and maybe braids. Something like the first image here, but on the back ( a big piece of metal in her hair ) :smile:

I thought about adding some discreet stripes on the pants too, not too visible.
  • polygons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polygons polycounter lvl 4
    Very cool idea  I look forward to seeing how it comes out