Home Marmoset

Marmoset Toolbag 2 | FAQ & Support

Replies

• kyle.rau
    Offline / Send Message
    kyle.rau polycounter lvl 8
    I'm unable to get the FBX camera import to work. I tried exporting just the camera in an FBX file, and it imports an empty object with a "white paper" icon next to the name.  Am I doing anything wrong? 
  • EarthQuake
    kyle.rau said:
    I'm unable to get the FBX camera import to work. I tried exporting just the camera in an FBX file, and it imports an empty object with a "white paper" icon next to the name.  Am I doing anything wrong? 
    Hi, it would help to know which 3D app you're using, for now, a couple suggestions:

Try checking your export settings to make sure the camera is being exported.
    Try re-importing the file into your 3D app to verify that the camera object is being exported.

If neither of those work, you can send the .FBX file to me, either contact me via PM or joe@marmoset.co

Thanks

• kyle.rau
    Offline / Send Message
    kyle.rau polycounter lvl 8
    Actually, I just figured it out! But thank you for getting back to me so fast. 

Turns out I had an extra shape node that holds a few properties I use on my camera. That extra shape node caused the FBX exporter to drop the default shape node, which basically means it wasn't fully exported. I deleted the 2nd shape node, exported again, and it works perfectly. LOVE this feature!

Thanks again :smile: 
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Hey guys, I'll admit I only spent ~5 minutes searching for similar bugs, so I hope this error report hasn't been submitted ad nauseam - attempting to open marmoset-generated .psd screen captures (both 8 and 16bit) crash my Photoshop CS6. First off I am asked to add a color profile (as per my photoshop settings), and the next step is a crash, each and every time.

(Just tried to [x] not change color profile, same result)

System is Windows7x64 with 16GB of Ram and a Geforce GTX 660 with 2 Gb.

While I'm at it - a shadow-plane-floor-matte thingy for ground shadows and possibly reflections would be all kinds of nice. I know it's on the suggestion list, so this is just a +1 ;)
  • EarthQuake
    cptSwing said:
    Hey guys, I'll admit I only spent ~5 minutes searching for similar bugs, so I hope this error report hasn't been submitted ad nauseam - attempting to open marmoset-generated .psd screen captures (both 8 and 16bit) crash my Photoshop CS6. First off I am asked to add a color profile (as per my photoshop settings), and the next step is a crash, each and every time.

While I'm at it - a shadow-plane-floor-matte thingy for ground shadows and possibly reflections would be all kinds of nice. I know it's on the suggestion list, so this is just a +1 ;)
    Hey, what version of Toolbag 2 do you have? We had a bug with crashing PSD files a while back but it should be fixed in the latest version. If you're using 2.08, it may be a different bug, in which case, could you answer a few questions:

1. Does it happen with every scene, or is it just one scene that creates crashing PSDs?
    2. Have you tried with and without transparency in addition to 8/16 bit? If so do you get crashing with all 4 combos?
    3. Do you have problems exporting any other files types, like PNG and JPG?
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    cptSwing said:

Hey, what version of Toolbag 2 do you have? We had a bug with crashing PSD files a while back but it should be fixed in the latest version. If you're using 2.08, it may be a different bug, in which case, could you answer a few questions:

1. Does it happen with every scene, or is it just one scene that creates crashing PSDs?
    2. Have you tried with and without transparency in addition to 8/16 bit? If so do you get crashing with all 4 combos?
    3. Do you have problems exporting any other files types, like PNG and JPG?
    Good catch, it seems to be the transparency switch when using PSD. Exporting non-transparent PSD's worked flawlessly, opening a transparent one will crash every single time. After this 'discovery' I didn't re-test with 16bit PSD's, I will if you need to me, though ;)
    Using PNG for transparency worked well enough, so I'm not too bothered (TGA looked strange, admittedly)... Having a VFB+ like export for PSD files (automatically adding the alpha channel as layer mask in Photoshop) would have been comfortable, so I figured I'd try PSD.
    And I'm on 2.08, yeah.
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Hey, I'm experiencing I bug I think. When using depth of field and then render at 2560x1440 I get more DOF than I should be getting. It looks like it doubles the amount of DOF compared to rendering the same shot at 1920x1080. This is not an issue in the viewport, but rather when you do the capture. Joe can you confirm this please.

Edit, actually this also happens in the viewport by changing the resolution to 2:1, you will see the DOF update in real time and become totally different looking than the tuning for 1:1. Any fix for this?
  • EarthQuake
    malcolm said:
    Hey, I'm experiencing I bug I think. When using depth of field and then render at 2560x1440 I get more DOF than I should be getting. It looks like it doubles the amount of DOF compared to rendering the same shot at 1920x1080. This is not an issue in the viewport, but rather when you do the capture. Joe can you confirm this please.

Edit, actually this also happens in the viewport by changing the resolution to 2:1, you will see the DOF update in real time and become totally different looking than the tuning for 1:1. Any fix for this?
    Hey, I just tested this out and it seems to be working correctly. I frequently render at 1080p for draft and 2160p for final quality when doing video work and the DOF matches up in my experience.

I did the following test:
    render at 1080p
    render at 1440p
    render at 2160p

Resized the two larger ones down the 1080p. In all cases, the size of the out of focus highlight was the same. If you're looking at a 1080p render and a 1440p render at the same pixel size (ie: at 100% in photoshop), the bokeh balls will appear larger, but they shouldn't be any larger relative to the image size.

I notice a slight different in the viewport when switching from 1:1 to 2:1, but not in the size of the bokeh balls, just the quality of the sampling.

Can you post or send me some images that illustrate the problem?
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Joe, sure here are the images as a gif animation of the exact same scene captured at 1920 and then at 2560. The DOF expands drastically.

• malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Joe, some additional info. This happens on a fresh scene with nothing in it except one imported model.
    My set up at home is
    win 10 pro
    dual monitor
    geforce 970gtx
    driver 364.51

• EarthQuake
    malcolm said:
    Hey Joe, some additional info. This happens on a fresh scene with nothing in it except one imported model.
    My set up at home is
    win 10 pro
    dual monitor
    geforce 970gtx
    driver 364.51

Hey, thanks for the info and sorry for the delayed response, I was out of town over Easter weekend.

I've tested this on both my Mac and PC, with both 2.08 and and our internal build, and I haven't been able to reproduce it. This is what I see:

Here is the scene for that chart, can you open it up and see if you're seeing the same issue with this scene?
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/499159/focustest.zip

If not, please package up a scene that demonstrates the issue and send it my way so I can try and reproduce and bug log it.

If memory serves, this was a bug we fixed a while back, so make sure you're using the latest version of Toolbag (2.08).

• malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Joe, just tried out your scene. The issue occurs there as well, I've also confirmed I'm on 2.08 In fact this is a fresh win 10 install from format and the first and only version of Toolbag I've installed on this machine. Link below for the scene I'm having issue with.

http://www.malcolm341.com/misc/rocks_broken_dof.zip

• Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I get a difference too. 2.08.

Windows 7, 64 bit SP1,
    intel core i7-5820k CPU @ 3.30 GHz,
    32 gb RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX 970.

• EarthQuake
    Thanks guys, I've been able to reproduce this now. 1080p and 2160p render bokeh the same size, but 1440p renders it a bit different, probably because 2160p is exactly 4x the size of 1080p. I'll get this logged and we should be able to fix it in a later version. For now, for large renders, use 3840x2160 and size down to 1440p in photoshop if you need to.
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool thanks, which is the actual correct DOF to preview the 1080p version? I think I've tuned all my renders now to the broken 1440 so I will need to go back and adjust dof once the fix is live.
  • EarthQuake
    malcolm said:
    Cool thanks, which is the actual correct DOF to preview the 1080p version? I think I've tuned all my renders now to the broken 1440 so I will need to go back and adjust dof once the fix is live.
    I think this depends on your monitor's resolution, if you've got a 1080P screen (or 1920x1200 that should be pretty close) the result you see in the viewport should match up pretty well to the rendered image. If you're on a 1440P screen you may need to do some trial and error.
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm on 1920x1200
  • Daew
    Offline / Send Message
    Daew polycounter lvl 9
    Hey, first I want to give a thanks to marmoset for making such a cool tool.

So my problem is  trying to put different materials on one mesh. I noticed in the patch notes for 207 that there was material Id support. However i'm not really sure how to set it up. 

What im trying to change is the reflection type. 
    In the image i'm trying to achieve satin (the body part) so i have arnistrophic reflections on that, but i don't want arnistrophic reflections on the metal. Is there a way to separate the two without breaking the mesh?

cheers.
  • EarthQuake
    Daew said:
    Hey, first I want to give a thanks to marmoset for making such a cool tool.

So my problem is  trying to put different materials on one mesh. I noticed in the patch notes for 207 that there was material Id support. However i'm not really sure how to set it up. 

What im trying to change is the reflection type. 
    In the image i'm trying to achieve satin (the body part) so i have arnistrophic reflections on that, but i don't want arnistrophic reflections on the metal. Is there a way to separate the two without breaking the mesh?

cheers.
    There are two ways to do this:
    1. In your 3D app, break off the part you want to apply an additional material to as a different object, reimport in Toolbag and assign your material to that object.
    2. In your 3D app, make a polygonal selection for the area you want to apply an additional material to, and apply the material in your 3D app. Reimport the mesh in Toolbag and your newly created polygonal material assignment/matid should load, in which case you can apply your material.
  • Daew
    Offline / Send Message
    Daew polycounter lvl 9
    @EarthQuake
    Thanks! method 2 works well.
    However i do have one piece that has material separation in the middle of polygons so both methods wont work unless i remodel it? I'm assuming that that would be the only way...so as quick feature suggestion ;p please could we have material ids based on maps? Anyway thanks :).

• malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Earthquake, ran into another bug. After creating a new camera and setting the field of view very low 0.1 for orthographic look, my original camera that has FOV of 20 seems messed up. It now has a clipping plane and as I zoom into my model it clips out, so I can only look at it from far away. Any idea what's going on here, or a workaround to fix it. Also I have a camera in the scene I can't delete?

Edit, I just noticed the issue occurs when I view the model from that particular side, like there is a clipping plane that is also backface culled if that makes sense. I need to render from the broken side though so hopefully there is a workaround for this.

• EarthQuake
    malcolm said:
    Earthquake, ran into another bug. After creating a new camera and setting the field of view very low 0.1 for orthographic look, my original camera that has FOV of 20 seems messed up. It now has a clipping plane and as I zoom into my model it clips out, so I can only look at it from far away. Any idea what's going on here, or a workaround to fix it. Also I have a camera in the scene I can't delete?

Edit, I just noticed the issue occurs when I view the model from that particular side, like there is a clipping plane that is also backface culled if that makes sense. I need to render from the broken side though so hopefully there is a workaround for this.

Hey Malcolm,

Camera clipping is set automatically, it's determined by the bounding box of the objects in your scene. Currently there is no way to manually set the camera clipping plane. If you've got one object that is very large, or an object that is very far away (like your camera with low FOV), this might throw off the camera clipping calculation. Try hiding, or deleting that object and seeing if the clipping issue goes away.

If you can, please send me a copy of this scene so I can bug log it. Thanks!
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Earthquake
    Hey Joe, here is the scene. The issue appears to happen when I have one of the cameras in the scene, if I delete that particular camera, even though I'm not looking through it, the problem is fixed. Setting the FOV very low to get orthographic requires me to dolly the camera very far away from the subject, so perhaps that's the issue as you suggested. Ideally I would like to have all my cameras in a single scene though instead of having to create multiple toolbag files one with each camera I want to take a screenshot from, but in theory as a workaround for this project I could save two scenes, one that only has the orthographic camera in it, and one that has all the other cameras.

http://www.malcolm341.com/misc/for_joe_broken_camera.zip

• EarthQuake
    malcolm said:
    Earthquake
    Hey Joe, here is the scene. The issue appears to happen when I have one of the cameras in the scene, if I delete that particular camera, even though I'm not looking through it, the problem is fixed. Setting the FOV very low to get orthographic requires me to dolly the camera very far away from the subject, so perhaps that's the issue as you suggested. Ideally I would like to have all my cameras in a single scene though instead of having to create multiple toolbag files one with each camera I want to take a screenshot from, but in theory as a workaround for this project I could save two scenes, one that only has the orthographic camera in it, and one that has all the other cameras.

http://www.malcolm341.com/misc/for_joe_broken_camera.zip

Cool thanks, repro'd and logged.
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, so I'm trying to use the transparency feature so I can composite my render to a background plate, but there is this annoying 1 pixel white edge around my image that is not there when I render it with a background image. How do I go about fixing this, it's like the alpha channel Toolbag outputs is incorrect.

For example doing a render with a solid colour background looks fine, but if you render with transparency then comp the same image to the exact same background colour you get this edge. This problem is solved in offline rendering by turning premultiplied alpha off, Toolbag seems to do this, but then gets the alpha channel wrong or something. Below is an animated .gif so the white edge appearing when comping the transparent image.

Actually what it looks like is the edge alpha is not being antialiased like the rest of the image.

• EarthQuake
    malcolm said:
    Hey, so I'm trying to use the transparency feature so I can composite my render to a background plate, but there is this annoying 1 pixel white edge around my image that is not there when I render it with a background image. How do I go about fixing this, it's like the alpha channel Toolbag outputs is incorrect.

For example doing a render with a solid colour background looks fine, but if you render with transparency then comp the same image to the exact same background colour you get this edge. This problem is solved in offline rendering by turning premultiplied alpha off, Toolbag seems to do this, but then gets the alpha channel wrong or something. Below is an animated .gif so the white edge appearing when comping the transparent image.

Actually what it looks like is the edge alpha is not being antialiased like the rest of the image.

Hey, I've seen this before and I think it's a known issue, but I don't think its officially in our bug system. Send over this file and I'll get it logged as well.

A work around to this is to add a background plane object to the scene, parent it to your camera so its position updates as you move the camera, make sure the scale is set to match the bounds of the camera and then give it a material with unlit diffusion and specular/fresnel set to 0. This is the hacky way of loading a custom background image.

We'll be adding a custom background image feature that makes this easier in a future update.
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    It's the same scene as the last one, just turn on transparency and do a render, then comp it. As a ghetto workaround I've found if you do the first render without transparency, then do the second render exactly the same with alpha channel .tga you can use the alpha channel to comp the original image onto a background with more success. The edge is reduced, but the depth of field does some strange things. A real fix would be great, but in the meantime writing out the original image as .tga with alpha channel instead of rendering black background would make this process much quicker, then I only have to do one render.
  • Apheleion
    Offline / Send Message
    Apheleion vertex
    Can you make a turntable video in Marmoset 2 i render doing turntable and it only gives me frames of the turn table and not a rendered video
  • EarthQuake
    Apheleion said:
    Can you make a turntable video in Marmoset 2 i render doing turntable and it only gives me frames of the turn table and not a rendered video
    Currently we only support exporting still images. You'll need to use a video editing programing to compile the stills into a video. I use Adobe Premiere but there are a lot of tools that can do this.
  • Apheleion
    Offline / Send Message
    Apheleion vertex
    thank you very much for the information.
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    stills are much better suited to compositing or any type of post-work than direct output as video. if you need a free editor to turn this into a movie format, look at davinci resolve (win/mac).
  • Ricky
    Offline / Send Message
    Ricky polycounter lvl 12

Hi guys, quick question:

When rendering from Marmoset, is there a way to see a resolution gate based on the setting chosen? So say if I want to render a 2000px square image, is there a way I can preview this aspect ratio to compose the model nicely inside it? At the moment, doing this kind of thing just seems to be shooting in the dark hoping that the render comes out in the right place.

• EarthQuake
    Ricky said:

Hi guys, quick question:

When rendering from Marmoset, is there a way to see a resolution gate based on the setting chosen? So say if I want to render a 2000px square image, is there a way I can preview this aspect ratio to compose the model nicely inside it? At the moment, doing this kind of thing just seems to be shooting in the dark hoping that the render comes out in the right place.

Sorry, not in the current build, though this will be added for Toolbag 3.
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice, looking forward to that.
  • xChris
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys, I ordered the pano pack that went on sale last week, and it still shows as pending? I checked out with paypal so I'm not sure if something hung up during that process? Is there a way to check out  again with the sale price or push the order through again through a different payment?
  • EarthQuake
    xChris said:
    Hey guys, I ordered the pano pack that went on sale last week, and it still shows as pending? I checked out with paypal so I'm not sure if something hung up during that process? Is there a way to check out  again with the sale price or push the order through again through a different payment?
    Please send an email to support@marmoset.co with your purchase information and we will get your problem sorted out.
  • xChris
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 9
    xChris said:
    Please send an email to support@marmoset.co with your purchase information and we will get your problem sorted out.
    Mark sorted it out, thanks!
  • Jason9jason
    For some reason I am missing the 'gizmo' to move/scale models in toolbag, is there a hot key or somthing I have hit to hide it?I had a quick look through the manual but couldn't see anything for this.

*reinstall fixed*
  • Swaggletooth
    Offline / Send Message
    Swaggletooth polycounter lvl 5
    I'm getting a weird bug with lighting here, with shadows on one of my buildings not showing up properly. It's very weird, it's like the position of the shadow is further than it should be. Usually this might be caused by missing backfaces, but in this case it simply isn't (even turning off backface cull does nothing)

Can anyone offer any insight as to what may be causing this?

• EarthQuake
    I'm getting a weird bug with lighting here, with shadows on one of my buildings not showing up properly. It's very weird, it's like the position of the shadow is further than it should be. Usually this might be caused by missing backfaces, but in this case it simply isn't (even turning off backface cull does nothing)

Can anyone offer any insight as to what may be causing this?

Hi, a few things to try:

1. Turn on Front-Face Shadows
    2. Turn on High-Res Shadows
    3. Turn off contact refinement in the light options

Let me know if that solves it, if not, please send me the scene and I will take a look, thanks.
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake
    Hey Joe, is there a way to get at the HDR skies that come with toolbag, is there someway I can export those images, or could one of the rendering guys include them in a download link somewhere?
  • EarthQuake
    malcolm said:
    EarthQuake
    Hey Joe, is there a way to get at the HDR skies that come with toolbag, is there someway I can export those images, or could one of the rendering guys include them in a download link somewhere?
    Hey Malcom, most of the skies can be found in the following locations (the first two links in particular):

University of Southern California (light probes; http://gl.ict.usc.edu/Data/HighResProbes)
            Bernhard Vogl (light probes; http://dativ.at/lightprobes)
            Grzegorz Wronkowski - (light probes; purchased - http://hdrmaps.com)
            Nikolaus Hoppenthaler (light probe; http://www.openfootage.net)
            hdri-hub.com (light probe; http://www.hdri-hub.com)

• malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    That's awesome, thanks a lot!
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Edit, nevermind, found the ones I was looking for. Thanks Joe, great links.
  • C86G
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    I´ve also asked on facebook, but I might get an answer here faster:

I´ve seen Marmoset Viewer scenes with limited camera zoom and limited rotation. Where can I add limits? Thank you : )

• Fridock
    Offline / Send Message
    Fridock polycounter lvl 11
    Hi! Is there any way to stop steam asking me "Marmoset Toolbag 3 is attempting to launch with the optional parameters shown below..." every time i try to open a viewer scene? It was working just fine with Toolbag 2.

• Noth
    Offline / Send Message
    Noth polycounter lvl 14
    There is a way to adjust the camera clipping? I'm trying to set up a dynamic shot with something close to the camera.
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I have to concur with @Noth

I've been running into some issues without having explicit control over those values. If I recall now, they're based on scene size?
  • Noth
    Offline / Send Message
    Noth polycounter lvl 14
    If it's based on scene size then that might be why I'm having trouble, since I've got an entire environment in mine and I'm trying to zoom into a character. Still though, it seems like a pretty standard value to have exposed. Automation is great, until it isn't.
  • Bal
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but the "Safe Frame" option doesn't work well when having depth of field active.
    The DOF you see on the real time preview will not be the same as what you get when exporting screenshots, depending on the size of your window. This makes the safe frame basically useless if you're trying to export specific renders with DOF active.