Home Technical Talk

Merging Meshes For 3d Printing

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
SyaPed polycounter lvl 18
I'm talking with a 3d printing company about getting a model printed but they're asking that I combine all the separate elements into one continuous mesh. As far as I knew having a model made up of separate intersecting elements was fine for 3d printing but if I was to try and boolean this thing together does anyone have any software recommendations? Or is anything boolean related still a nightmare these days...

Replies

• cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Autodesk Meshmixer might be an easy alternative?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Simply ... ask them again. There was probably some sort of miscommunication at some point, or maybe you ended up being connected to the wrong person. Open meshes (non watertight) definitely cause problems, but interpenetrating objects are completely fine since the toolpath interpreter will always see them as closed elements. If that wasn't the case zbrush sculpts would be impossible to print.
  • SyaPed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyaPed polycounter lvl 18
    That's what I thought too, Pior. Communication is a little tricky, 99% of 3d printers seem to be in Poland? :D But I'm pretty sure they want me to combine things into as few meshes as possible, one single mesh if I want it printed as one piece. They sent this picture as an example...
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah it's tricky ... And who knows, maybe it depends on the software. All that said you could always dynamesh everything together. There are some other highly specialized software available for that sort of stuff too but Zbrush will probably do a great job !