Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

FN FAL Battle Rifle

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
ComradeDispenser polycounter lvl 3
Wrapped up the highpoly. I am aware of some of the innaccuracies here and there - couldn't get the topology right to model those shapes in.

Also, no floaters!

Replies

• kohg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kohg polycounter lvl 8
    Love the fn fal, why the use of no floaters? Trying to challenge yourself? You're baking this down to a low and texturing it right?
  • gfelton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gfelton polycounter lvl 6
    Ah damn, I had legitimately just finished the HP of my FN FAL earlier today. Oh well, Your interpretation looks great although I'm rather disappointed that you'd settle for lesser details rather than attempt to fit the things into your topology. Doing so loses lots of the weapon's character. For instance, the bipod cutout on the handguard is greatly pronounced and is positioned a bit higher than yours. Also, the portion in which the handguard meets the gas block under the front sight is a much more organic metal piece as opposed to the machined look you have gone for. And finally, the pistol grip only has the imprint on the left side where the fire mode selector is located, as opposed to both sides like you have in your model. This has great potential and looking at your previous work, I'm confident in your ability, hope you can use my criticism to further this model. I'd also like to commend your work on the upper receiver as I found that bit of geometry to be particularly tricky. Great job man :)
  • ComradeDispenser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baked the thing, 13115 tris/11000 verts

@kohg floaters can be an issue when baking, so I chose to model them in, plus, it looks more impressive in highpoly renders :)

@gfelton due to the amount of time I wasn't able to make the necessary tweaks, but I agree with you, hopefully next time I will be able to learn from this. It's been quite an experience working on the model, especially on the receiver.
  • Thanez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanez interpolator
    That bake turned out real nice, Comrade. As stated earlier, the next level for you seems to be detail-obsession. Nailing down shapes, etc.
  • ComradeDispenser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    after 1000 years, this thing gets a texture

more pics here

• gfelton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gfelton polycounter lvl 6
    Really good texture work, you nailed the wear on the magazine and receiver. The wood could use some work, maybe a brighter tone. Perhaps that would help to contrast with the other materials. Still, a very nice piece.