Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Snow landscape

Hi all,

I've just started working on a snowy level. It's very fun. :)
Will post more updates today/tomorrow.

Replies

• Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a lot more work on lighting and landscape shader.
    Now I don't like it when atmospheric fog kills the clouds visibility. :( Going to do some work on that next.

• Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More work on the materials and lighting. I'm now happy-ish. Yet more work to do.
    Layered cloud shadows really add a ton to the atmosphere, movement not visible in the images though.   :p
    Next I'm gonna try tweaking the lighting and get one or two screens from that and ask for feedback on the lighting from you lighting gods. Will do that tomorrow.

• Wolves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolves polycounter lvl 2
    Wow it's looking really awesome! Some scenes look really realistic  :)
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Looks like planet Hoth from Star Wars.
  • Tomiajayi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomiajayi polycounter lvl 2
    yesh that looks real good
  • EliasWick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EliasWick polycounter lvl 9
    Incredible work here! Would you mind sharing some tips and tricks?
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!

EliasWick, Actually I had a little interview with 80.lv a few days ago. You can find some information there: https://80.lv/articles/creating-realistic-virtual-landscapes/

Alright I'm back at this. Small update below. I'm gonna take some more time and finish my tweaking with the lighting and then I'll ask for your feedbackz as I said earlier.

• Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, finally! This is as far as my eyes could get me. You guys have fresh eyes, please let me know if see anything that's not good enough. I'm hoping to improve my realistic lighting ability so throw your tips at  me! :)

Additionally, I just found that it's cool to carve a hole in the ground. Thinking about what to do with it. ಠ_ಠ

• TweaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TweaK polycounter lvl 6
    This is really amazing.  <3
    Although I have no idea how you achieved this actually, the only thing I find to improve lighting is the hard shadow under the rock on your last images.

There would have been a difference between when it is under a cloud or not, i.e. the shadow would be less visible and the shape would become blurry when there's a cloud.
    Again I have no idea if it's possible to achieve something like this.

Anyway that's some really neat stuff ! ^^
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TweaK said:
    This is really amazing.  <3
    Although I have no idea how you achieved this actually, the only thing I find to improve lighting is the hard shadow under the rock on your last images.

There would have been a difference between when it is under a cloud or not, i.e. the shadow would be less visible and the shape would become blurry when there's a cloud.
    Again I have no idea if it's possible to achieve something like this.

Anyway that's some really neat stuff ! ^^
    Thanks! Very appreciated! :) I've been working on some snowy rocks. After this I'm gonna implement SSS for the snow functions used in landscape shader and see how that turns out.

• JamieMc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieMc polycounter lvl 18
    Looks really great!  Are you using the dynamic tesselation to get the crunchyness on the snow?  Or is it vert blended normal maps?
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieMc said:
    Looks really great!  Are you using the dynamic tesselation to get the crunchyness on the snow?  Or is it vert blended normal maps?
    Most of the detail is coming from the baked normal map of the rock itself, the snow normal map is very subtle. It's the same snow as you're seeing on the ground. Then I've used the angle blending to blend the snow and rock materials together. :)
    I guess the rock is too dark..

I just finished adding SSS to snow on the rocks and ground, it looks way better however, I need to redo my lighting now as SSS introduced a lot more brightness to the snow. Going to have to reduce a tiny bit of brightness from snow albedo as well. Gotta balance it all out. ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
  • MarkZubenko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unbelievably gorgeous!
    I went on to read that article with Alireza Khajehali and stumbled upon mention of Tonemapper, I've battled it for so damn long, lol
    Have you figured out the steps how to unclamp whites and get the correct range in UE?
    He only gives a link to a texture asset, If you have figured out exactly how to work it into the Post Proccess volume please help me out.
    Thanks anyway, keep up the good work)
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unbelievably gorgeous!
    I went on to read that article with Alireza Khajehali and stumbled upon mention of Tonemapper, I've battled it for so damn long, lol
    Have you figured out the steps how to unclamp whites and get the correct range in UE?
    He only gives a link to a texture asset, If you have figured out exactly how to work it into the Post Proccess volume please help me out.
    The guy you're talking about is me. :p
    I did go on a journey to unclamp the whites using only the tonemapper itself but that never worked out the way I expected. I've carefully created that LUT and the result is very neat and accurate. I'm using the same LUT in all my scenes including this snow landscape. :)
    Thanks for the comment.
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good morning all! I've added SSS to snow. I think it looks a world better! And I've reworked the lighting as well.

The Cloud Shadows at some parts aren't dense so the shadow isn't as dark as the shadow casted from the rock itself. I'll try to take an overcast-ish screen as well to see how it'll look like.
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Increased the cloud shadow density.
    I liked the previous screen with more sparse clouds/less shadow density but like to hear your opinions.

• MarkZubenko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unbelievably gorgeous!
    The guy you're talking about is me. :p
    I did go on a journey to unclamp the whites using only the tonemapper itself but that never worked out the way I expected. I've carefully created that LUT and the result is very neat and accurate. I'm using the same LUT in all my scenes including this snow landscape. :)
    Thanks for the comment.
    Oh! Hahah, sorry, didnt quite make that connection.
    Anyway, thanks for sharing that LUT, took me longer to figure out what to do with it than it should have)
    Looking forward to seeing more of your work!
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been smoothing out a lot of the rocky areas. I'm gonna continue doing so until there's a good balance between the snow and rock amount when looking at any direction.

• Kaine123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
    you could totally do a crashed ufo with that carved ground you posted 
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123, Hmmm.. yeah! but a bit lazy to model a UFO.  :p

This is the last picture I'm gonna post from this and then I have to get to work on the rocky areas again for a while.

• Visum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Visum polycounter lvl 7
    Amazing.
    Good job.
  • abcdethan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    abcdethan polycounter lvl 4
    Wow!  How do you setup the cloud shadows?
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Visum, Thanks.

abcdethan, You need to create a material and set the material domain to light function and then apply it to the directional light. You will need some black and white map in the material to act as cloud shadows. You can use the panner node to make it move and keep advancing it as you like.
  • abcdethan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    abcdethan polycounter lvl 4
    Maximum-Dev , thanks!  I will try it out!  the landscape is looking great so far!
  • Sunray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    Oh man this looks amazing, are you planning on just keeping it a landscape or going crazy and adding a military base or something like that. But I assume not since I don't see the ufo yet haha. 
  • Maximum-Dev