Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mercurial Forge does Games Workshop with Gilberto Magno

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MercurialForge polycounter lvl 11
Hi everyone,

I'm currently enrolled in @gmagno Games Workshop class and will be producing the following concept by Sergi Brosa.

I'll be posting my progress here so please comment and critique!

Finished Version:

Latest Work (Week 01): Test Image Concept Art by Sergi Brosa:
Test Image

Replies

• MercurialForge
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll start off with posting my reference and add to this space as it grows, for your easy reference as well.

My Breakdowns:
  • MercurialForge
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is my work so far from week one. I think I went a little to far and started working on the anatomy and style in greater detail than I should have so early. But it really got me thinking about how to best adapt Sergi's style into the 3D on this piece which has a little more "realism".

Anyway at one point I started adding polypaint to mesh to help me better relate the model to the concept. But I know getting the forms right without the polypaint is just as important.

Lastly, it's very subtle I know, but I started adding a little more anatomic detail to places like her ribs, which I kind of like but i'm on the fence about it, does it suit the concept? Thoughts welcome here.
  • leopenaranda
    looking good so far man! I like the overall shapes and proportions so far!, the only thing I see and can point out but might only be me is that the head is just a little bit too small compared to the rest. Maybe this is what you are aming for but any way it is just me great work man!
  • adrxzero
    Offline / Send Message
    adrxzero polycount sponsor
    Good  so far and I also agree with leopenaranda, I look forward  to seeing your progress 
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Not sure why you've measured her at 8 1/2 heads tall... her heel is clearly on the floor at 7 heads tall, and you can see from the concept that she's got a somewhat short and petite build. But you're sculpting her at 8 1/2 heads tall and it's looking reeeeally weird.
  • Valandar
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Not sure why you've measured her at 8 1/2 heads tall... her heel is clearly on the floor at 7 heads tall, and you can see from the concept that she's got a somewhat short and petite build. But you're sculpting her at 8 1/2 heads tall and it's looking reeeeally weird.

Because that's the BACK foot. It goes into the background. The right leg is exactly on the same plane as the rest of the body, and it sits at 8 1/2 heads tall.

((Not the OP, just had to comment))
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    count the lines man.... even if he was using the right leg it would be 7 1/2. he's literally added an extra head.
  • MercurialForge
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi folks, thanks for the posts I did read these. I abandoned this post due to life events and I apologize, I picked up an art test during the class and had to drop almost everything. Now that my life is recovering I'm here to update and respond. So a big thanks to everyone who chimed in.

On that note, @almighty_gir was totally right. I over measured her like a fool, I believe it was sorted out later.

Anyway here is the results, I wish I had spent more time on her, but I did what I could and finished it up. Visit my sketchbook for more images, thanks :D