Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand painted textures noob

gsAlpha7
null
Offline / Send Message
gsAlpha7 null
Hi everyone,

as the title describes I'm inexperienced with hand painted styled textures but it is something that I would like to learn.I make this topic in order to keep myself on track while taking critiques and advice from people who know what is going on with hand painted stuff.I'll try to update as much as possible(hopefully). So this what my current level is, model and texture created with blender(photo edited in gimp), I feel a lot like a kid painting while trying to paint textures, is this normal for beginners?

Thanks

Replies

• Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    With hand painted textures, you want to capture some light in the texture. Right now, you just have dark lines indicating the woodgrain, instead of suggesting the form with a shadow on one side and a highlight on the other.

There are plenty of great hand painted texture tutorials out there. I particularly liked the one from 3dMotive. I'd suggest following along with one of those.
  • FemCharles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    @gsAlpha7

I am glad you picked something small to start off with! This is an excellent way to start learning handpainted stuff.

"I feel a lot like a kid painting while trying to paint textures, is this normal for beginners?" Yes this is completely normal! You are learning something new, it takes time to learn new things :)

As @Meloncov mentions it may be worth watching some tutorials to begin you on your hand painted journey!

A couple of ways to achieve hand painted styles is:

1) painting it all by hand from scratch

2) using zbrush to bake out initial textures to help with lighting information ( This helps me a lot.)
    See example below:

You can find tutorials online to help with this workflow. Hope this helps!
  • gsAlpha7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gsAlpha7 null
    @Meloncov 3dmotive subscription added on my wishlist :P
    @FemCharles I'm actually quite terrified of big projects so sticking to small things.I'm not really interesting in sculpting at the moment, would like to learn the "traditional ways" first before jumping into that kind of stuff.

I'm following some tutorials from this guy ( https://www.youtube.com/user/XRG81/videos ) on youtube.He is hand painting a dagger all in blender.
    So this is what I have came up with until now, work in progress.

Have a nice day.
  • tomenjerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tomenjerry polycounter lvl 6
    @gsAlpha7 Hey man. Yeah the tutorials you are following are pretty good. I like the one for the pillar better. I would suggest the tutorial by Tyson murphy from 3dmotive. He explains things perfectly! Remember that you're not trying to learn how to make this sword, but rather how you should render lighting, what kind of details, use of color, etc. I see you're using blender to paint textures, Nice! Haha big blender fan here, even though blender is not commonly used as a 3d painting tool, it's a good start. I would suggest painting on about twice the final resolution, blender can give some jaggered looking lines, you get rid of them by painting twice the res, and then scaling down with 50% in photoshop.
  • funk80
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    funk80 polycounter lvl 5
    Try to take advantage of the larger gradient colors white and black. Do not use 100% white or black, because it is not realistic. Some highlight information in your handpaint and it will look much better.) For example:

• gsAlpha7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gsAlpha7 null
    @tomenjerry Hi and thanks for the tips, I started watching the tutorial you are talking about(Hand Painted Texturing Tyson Murphy,3dmotive) and it's preety good indeed.I spent many hours this weekend following the steps to make the sword and this is what I came up with:

I used Krita instead of Photoshop.That was a lot of new information for me so I think I'm going to stop before starting the shield,I need to watch the replay and apply what I learned on my own models.
  • JamesMeader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesMeader polycounter lvl 9
    Immediately see you're going in the right direction, following tutorials and real examples where you can pull instances from and apply it to future personal work for me also is the best method. 

Maybe after finishing the tutorial do a new project and compare it to the first thing you did, will definitely give you the confidence boost that will help push you further, trust me. 
  • gsAlpha7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gsAlpha7 null
    @JamesMeader Thanks for the tip and sorry for the late response.

Just a quick update :

Definitely need to practice wood and cloth more.