Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Substance/UE4] - Snow road scene

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
SimonTG polycounter lvl 10
Edit: Updated with new screenshots.

Hi everyone,

Here are the results of an art test I've been working on this past week.
I was tasked with creating textures & materials for a snowy road segment. Used Substance Designer, textures are about 99% procedural. 

I have a bunch of parameters exposed in the substances and UE4 material instances to control the colors, tiling, roughness, details, snow coverage, blendings, SSS amount/color, tessellation subdivisions / distance fade etc... giving me quite a bit of control over the materials directly inside the engine for rapid iterations.

Might post a little video breakdown later on.

Comments / critiques are welcome.

Updated screenshots: 

Replies

• SimonTG
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated original post with latest screenshots. 
    I kept tweaking this thing some more. I wasn't quite satisfied with the sludge in particular. I think I'm gonna call it done for now. Might revisit the project at some point.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Looks real nice and slushy. 
  • KenanPhoenix
    This is insanely beautiful, well done man, reminds me of the game 'Kholat' :)
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Excellent results. Never ceases to amaze me what people are achieving with SD. Vid breakdown would be well received I'm sure. ;)

Only thing that stands out is that the mud seems a bit translucent or something. As if it has more of a 'toffee' feel to it. Is there SSS on the mud?
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    really nice, musashidan Im not sure if its actually meant to be dirty brown snow mixed with mud rather than just mud which explains the wet almost transparent look to it.
  • gsokol
    Looks nice!

One bit of crit...its a little jarring how abrupt the transition from the slushy brown snow to the pristine white snow is.  Usually cares fling up that brown stuff and it scatters around a bit more.

I think peppering those areas with a big more of the dirty snow will ease that transition a bit and make it look more natural.

Here is an example where you can see how some of the brown stuff gets thrown into the white areas of the snow:

• Valravn
    Offline / Send Message
    Valravn polycounter lvl 7
    This is so beautiful! I'm really keen to see the breakdown video for this! 

Tessellation settings are a real source of trouble for me, so I'd love to see how you got your beautiful smooth tessellation!
  • SimonTG
    Offline / Send Message
    Excellent results. Never ceases to amaze me what people are achieving with SD. Vid breakdown would be well received I'm sure. ;)

Only thing that stands out is that the mud seems a bit translucent or something. As if it has more of a 'toffee' feel to it. Is there SSS on the mud?
    Ged said:
    really nice, musashidan Im not sure if its actually meant to be dirty brown snow mixed with mud rather than just mud which explains the wet almost transparent look to it.

Thanks. Yes there is some SSS on the slush as well as the snow. Not quite sure it's really "physically accurate" on the wet slush but eh... I wasn't quite getting the effect I wanted playing only with normal/rough/spec.

gsokol said:
    Looks nice!

One bit of crit...its a little jarring how abrupt the transition from the slushy brown snow to the pristine white snow is.  Usually cares fling up that brown stuff and it scatters around a bit more.

I think peppering those areas with a big more of the dirty snow will ease that transition a bit and make it look more natural.

Here is an example where you can see how some of the brown stuff gets thrown into the white areas of the snow:

Thanks for the critique! I'll keep that in mind if I decide to revisit the project.
  • Dragonar
    Offline / Send Message
    Dragonar polycounter lvl 10
    hi ! first of all it's very nice ! I really like it !
    And maybe it's a stupid question but I'm curious about the geometry. It's just a plan with tessellation and parallax ? or it's a real mesh ?

• macoll
    Offline / Send Message
    macoll polycounter lvl 13
    Dragonar said:
     or it's a real mesh ?

Believe me, it's UNREAL !! ;)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stellar snow GG !  We are waiting for 'teh video breakdown'  ;)
  • thegeist
    Offline / Send Message
    thegeist polycounter lvl 4
    Love the Snow!