Home Technical Talk

Noob modeller needs some advice :P

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
randygootjes polycounter lvl 3
Hi i am a graphic designer, started using zbrush a couple years ago for fun, now i want to get into more game assets or game modelling, but i need some good advice.

i am using zbrush for my models, and i can pretty much handle cinema 4d. My questions are:
  1. can i use zbrush for retopo? or is it better to use a different application?
  2. what are the best steps i can apply for my workflow?
you would be of great help guys... !

Replies

• CharacterCarl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharacterCarl greentooth
    1. I've seen artists use ZBrush to create the low poly geometry of a game character using mostly ZSphere retopology. Personally, I think ZBrush's retopo tools (ZSpheres and Topology brush) are a good option for cleaning up individual parts or retopo-ing smaller meshes but for everything more complex I prefer either Maya Quad Draw or MODO which I use for all my low poly needs. This also makes smoothing/relaxing your meshes much easier as you can move your topology around as you're working on it which isn't as easy in ZBrush.

2. This is a rather vague question as you didn't provide much information about your actual workflow (only the software you use). But, as you're looking into creating game assets, here is some advice:

In general, you should be very familiar with the high to low poly workflow (baking properly). Knowing how to avoid artefacts, waviness, etc. will save you a lot of trouble. Check the wiki and the sticky threads for valuable information: http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Texture_Baking

Look at actual game models to study their topology and texture layouts. I tend look at models that have been ported to Source Filmmaker for example, as it comes with a model viewer. Also, often times artists put up wireframes when posting portfolio pieces.

What are your experiences regarding texturing? For generating PBR textures it'll be valuable to know a tool such as Substance Painter or Quixel as they will enable you to produce work and iterate much quicker while being less destructive than good ol' Photoshop. 

Cinema 4D isn't used that much in the video game industry. Shouldn't be much of an issue when creating assets on your own as all major game engines that are available for the public understand FBX as an exchange format for models. It is just something to keep in mind if you're planning on working in the field.
  • randygootjes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow nice thnx for the info! really apreciate it.. i am indeed looking at how i can get the best outcome, now i make something with cinema4d then import it with zbrush... i think i going to look at modo.. but i heard allot of 3dcoat aswell.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    1 - can i use zbrush for retopo? or is it better to use a different application?

Don't shoot yourself in the foot by attempting to retopo in Zbrush, it will just be a waste of time and you will not develop good habits from it. Retopo is first and foremost rooted in being able to build rock solid polygon geometry, and in the understanding of why some polygon "setups" work and some don't. So before going any further, spend at least a few weeks following basic polygon modeling tutorials for your program of choice (google "Joan Of Arc Tutorial"). From there, surface snapping will allow you to do basic retopo tasks in pretty much every 3d app out there, so start with that. Then eventually and if your budget allows for it, move to a specialized program. The absolute best out there is Topogun 2.

2 - What are the best steps i can apply for my workflow?

The best approach would be to start by spending a lot of learning how to creating clean, efficient models. This will teach you how to work efficiently, and will also force you to build bold shapes. Once you are able to create models as elegant and bold as the one shown in the following image, you will be able to make everything come together : combining elegant polygon modeling knowledge with your already acquired sculpting skills.

Good luck !
  • randygootjes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice thnx allot guys am currently working on it, following some workshops and studie models...