Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Egyptian Mirror

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Elod.H polycounter lvl 11
Hello everyone,

I've found this beaut of a concept of a highly decorated Egyptian mirror, thought I'd go at it and turn it into a nice, realistic prop.
Concept: 

Blockout mesh, ready for ZB sculpt. Going to work on the snakes and adding wear and tear. A lot of the surface detail I will add in Substance instead of sculpting it in with ZB. Critiques, suggestions more than welcome ;) .

Replies

• Daf57
    Offline / Send Message
    Daf57 polycounter lvl 9
    Ah - cool project! That's going to be fun! Good start - will be watching. :)
  • Elod.H
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Daf57,

Thanks very much. Actually really looking forward to texturing this. Aiming to really push the material definition.
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
    lovely start, I'd watch out for the blockiness of those snake heads on the bottom half of the mirror, they're very jagged atm and won't bake well when you come to it. Depending on what you want to do with this.. I would always build the high poly in detail if you're planning to showcase this as a personal portfolio piece... that way you have a high poly render to demonstrate your ability to sculpt/hard surface model something but that again can be disregarded should your portfolio already contain a good amount of that stuff to demonstrate it... The painting details on via substance painter way is however a lovely pipeline that saves butt loads of time, no objection to it really :) just food for thought in case you hadn't thought about this is all. Otherwise ignore me haha.

Keep going (Y)
  • FemCharles
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    Nice start! 

It be good to see it from all angles! I can't quite tell but it looks like there might be a slightly bigger gap underneath where the mirror meets the beetle wings. In your latest shot it  looks almost flush, but that might just be the angle. Also be careful of the snakes heads! I look forward to seeing the sculpt.
  • Beard3D Bandit
    Offline / Send Message
    Beard3D Bandit polycounter lvl 7
    Looks cool can't wait to see it textured! :D
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    that's not Egyptian, that's Nehekheran!
  • Elod.H
    Offline / Send Message
    Texturing in progress. Tweaking stuff constantly, I'll definitely need to pull the saturation back me thinks.
    (Some bits of the mesh are missing, like the teeth of the snake and the bottom red skulls are a temporary glitch).

• Elod.H
    Offline / Send Message
    Added dirt, grease, wear, tear... all of that jazz. Wrapping this one up this evening.

Question: the mirror part is producing some sharp lines due to the triangulation of the big flat surface. There is nothing extra special about it, the topology isn't messed up or anything...I'm thinking I might need to add in more geometry just for the sake of a nice reflection, but I don't really understand why these sharp lines occur. Mesh is like this: