Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Old Bedroom Environment

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
radumitroi polycounter lvl 6
I started working on this scene probably a couple of weeks ago, but I'm progessing slow due to the fact that I don't have a lot of time to work on it. I was inspired by this image:

The environment is rendered in Unity 5. I am open to critiques and suggestions.

And here are the props I made so far.

Replies

• Kid.in.the.Dark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
    I'll bullet point my critique for you :)

- Too dark, can barely make out some of the details in your art.
    - No objects to indicate where the tints of red light source come from. The only place that indicates a source of light is the window. Either add something to justify the light source or adjust the light in a way it doesn't come off as something emissive and more as an ambient light.
    - No focal point allocated (lighting layout needs revisiting) I'd make the bed your focal point
    - Brick tiles & concrete ceiling are way too big, they make the scene feel miniature
    - the post processing is blurring out everything, also making it hard to see the artwork in the scene.
    - Not much variety in the grunge of the room besides right side wall which looks like a quick vertex painted job. Make use of some dirt decals, etc and think about some creative places where dirt or moisture would build up over time.
    - lacking small scale objects to ground pieces together, add some kind of clutter like an old alarm clock, old plates, box of paper work, an dusty ash tray etc for some finesse and story telling in the scene. These are just ideas not suggestions.

Very good start though, just gotta polish this now :)
  • Deforges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deforges polycounter lvl 11
    I quite like the lighting in the reference picture. It's a lot more pleasing to the eye than the dark red-light district vibe you've got going on now.
  • radumitroi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll bullet point my critique for you :)

- Too dark, can barely make out some of the details in your art.
    - No objects to indicate where the tints of red light source come from. The only place that indicates a source of light is the window. Either add something to justify the light source or adjust the light in a way it doesn't come off as something emissive and more as an ambient light.
    - No focal point allocated (lighting layout needs revisiting) I'd make the bed your focal point
    - Brick tiles & concrete ceiling are way too big, they make the scene feel miniature
    - the post processing is blurring out everything, also making it hard to see the artwork in the scene.
    - Not much variety in the grunge of the room besides right side wall which looks like a quick vertex painted job. Make use of some dirt decals, etc and think about some creative places where dirt or moisture would build up over time.
    - lacking small scale objects to ground pieces together, add some kind of clutter like an old alarm clock, old plates, box of paper work, an dusty ash tray etc for some finesse and story telling in the scene. These are just ideas not suggestions.

Very good start though, just gotta polish this now :)
    Thanks for your advice, I agree with you. I was feeling the same way towards the bricks and ceiling, but I wasn't sure. I'll have to redo those textures, as for the small scale objects, I will add those later. I changed the scene a little, I think the bed looks more like a focal point now.

• FemCharles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    Hey, 

I think it might be worth some time gathering a range of references of abandoned places (If thats what you are going for)! I know you have the main reference you are using, but i actually think you could add more interesting elements into your scene and make something much more original.
    Once you have gathered references you could paint over your latest image to add more interest. I think it's currently lacking story and focus.

Here is some things you should think about:

-Does anyone live here/is it abandoned? Who lives here/what kind of person are they? Why is it abandoned? 
    -How long has it been like this for?
    -Where is this place?

If you answer these kinds of questions suddenly it becomes a lot more easier to visualize your scene. There will be a story within your environment which will make for a much more interesting and believable piece!

Hope that helps!
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    The bricks in your wall look too large. Most modern bricks are one of a couple of standardized sizes (most common is 65mm by 215 mm by 102.5 mm).
  • radumitroi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, 

I think it might be worth some time gathering a range of references of abandoned places (If thats what you are going for)! I know you have the main reference you are using, but i actually think you could add more interesting elements into your scene and make something much more original.
    Once you have gathered references you could paint over your latest image to add more interest. I think it's currently lacking story and focus.

Here is some things you should think about:

-Does anyone live here/is it abandoned? Who lives here/what kind of person are they? Why is it abandoned? 
    -How long has it been like this for?
    -Where is this place?

If you answer these kinds of questions suddenly it becomes a lot more easier to visualize your scene. There will be a story within your environment which will make for a much more interesting and believable piece!

Hope that helps!
    Yes, it does help, thanks. Just for the record, I'm not going for an abandoned place. I'll keep in mind your advice as I'm working on the scene. I've never really bothered that much with the story of an environment so far.
    Meloncov said:
    The bricks in your wall look too large. Most modern bricks are one of a couple of standardized sizes (most common is 65mm by 215 mm by 102.5 mm).
    I know they're too large, I've redone the texture for the walls, as well as the one for the ceiling.
    I moved the bed to the right side as I thought it would make the light from the window act as a guidance line.

• radumitroi