Home Technical Talk

Maya user with a Max questions

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
RossHildick3D polycounter lvl 3
Been using Maya for years and years and need to use Max for a new job... 

Should be a fairly simple one but surprisingly hard to find the answer to online when you don't know what to search for!

I want to move this vert to the right so it will snap in line with the one above. In Maya, you would click on the axis you want it moved in on the Gizmo, hold down 'V' and middle-click-drag on the vert you want it snapped to and BAM... no such luck in Max though. Feel like an idiot for asking such a simple question but like I said, just cant find this one anywhere! See image:

Thanks

Replies

• CompanionCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CompanionCube polycounter lvl 12
     Enable Axis Constraints in Grid and Snap settings.

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Or copy/paste the Y coord from the translation fields at the bottom of the UI.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You could 3D snap it to the corner point and then translate it down on Z.
  • Shive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shive polycounter lvl 2
    Enable Snapping with Hotkey "S". you'll see the icon on the top toolbar enabled. If the Icon shows 2 or 2.5 hold it and change it to 3. Then rightclick the icon, enable Vertex in Snaps tab. Go to options tab to enable Axis constrains. Now you can move on one axis with snap enabled. While holding the mousebutton to move, hover over the vertex you want to snap to, it'll get highlighted. Let go. Done  :)
  • RossHildick3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
     Enable Axis Constraints in Grid and Snap settings.

This was exactly what I needed thankyou :)

and thanks to the other suggestions - all good to know!

new problem... well... annoyance due to transitioning from Maya:

In maya, I bring edges closer together or further apart like this by scaling them in that axis (somewhat as a way of life for me now) yet, in max, this does not do anything at all... So my question is (1) How can I get scaling edges like this to work in max? or (2) What is the proper way if this way is just not possible/done in max?

thanks again polygods!
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Top of the UI, button to the right of the 'ref coordinates system' dropdown, open the flyout and change from 'use pivot point centre' to 'use selection centre'
  • RossHildick3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Top of the UI, button to the right of the 'ref coordinates system' dropdown, open the flyout and change from 'use pivot point centre' to 'use selection centre'
    ofcorse! Im an idiot; Thankyou.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No problem, I know exactly what it's like. I had to brute force learn enough of Maya a while back solely for the purpose of a few animation projects.....and there were plenty of "wtf, this -insert every feature here - is so much easier in Max!" :)
  • RossHildick3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for your patience!

BACK AT IT AGAIN WITH ANOTHER (probably) VERY SIMPLE QUESTION!

in short, I want to create UV sets and a single material so that I can have who different opacity maps on different faces while maintaining the UVs for the diffuse.

This time I made an image explaining it: I want all of this in one material to then be used in unreal.

I have learnt how to unwrap and texture and stuff no problem - now I want to make slightly more complicated shaders: I have a small tiling diffuse map to be applied to everything, and two tiling opacity maps - one for the platforms and another for the steps. I then need a channel for the lightmap.

Can not for the life of me figure out how to do this. The closest ive got is make three materials and then a multisub object to combine them into one however this means reading the colour map three times which I dont want... I think..... who am I?.... going mad.

• cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Not sure I fully understood what you need to acheive, but here goes.

• huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    Why don't you create the material directly inside Unreal? I don't think it's possible to have a single material, since it must use two opacity maps and there's only one slot for opacity...Maybe assign a single opacity map and tweak the UV's on the second UV channel (for transparency): shrink them to cover a single row of dots, so those faces will have longer transparent slots.
  • RossHildick3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer said:
    Why don't you create the material directly inside Unreal? I don't think it's possible to have a single material, since it must use two opacity maps and there's only one slot for opacity...Maybe assign a single opacity map and tweak the UV's on the second UV channel (for transparency): shrink them to cover a single row of dots, so those faces will have longer transparent slots.
    Thanks huffer I ended up doing exactly that. I need to do this all in max as there's another person handling that side of things and I'd rather it just work for them on import! Thanks :)
  • RossHildick3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing said:
    Not sure I fully understood what you need to acheive, but here goes.

Not exactly but it did help me a lot in understanding what I needed to do so thanks so much for the help!