Home Career & Education

Freelance: how much game art vs. others?

admin
Offline / Send Message
System admin
This discussion was created from comments split from: Question On Making the Decision to Go Freelance.

Replies

• lefix
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    I don't have much freelance experience to share, but wanted to throw in another question. How much of your freelance work is actually game art related, or do you also venture into other fields? Arch Viz? Web Design? Flyers?
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Personally I only do game art, I would however possibly consider small contract for the movie /collectible industry if I feel up for the ask.
    Back when I started I also had a 3d hub and did couple of gig related to that, small modelling contract and 3d prints. I sold my printer a while ago so that's over now.
    If one artist is versatile enough to offer other kind of services I'm sure that could be a good thing

• Eric Chadwick
    I've branched out from game art into architectural VR, also medical equipment modeling for VR, ui art for mobile, etc.

Those jobs tend to pay quite a bit more than game art, since architectural/medical/simulation clients are used to paying larger sums for professional services.
  • Add3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    With @Eric Chadwick on this one.  I enjoy the game work 100% more than any other freelance that I have done, but I will say that I always made quite a bit more money when I stepped outside of games (sometimes more than double the hourly rate).  Specifically arch-vis and offline rendered type educational work, especially when it was government related.  
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    I have stuck to Game art and some sculpting work for render so far but it's true there is good money to be made outside of our field.
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Anything you can get your hands on, and if it out of the realm of your expertise hand it over to someone in that area and manage the job. That is anything to do with art and design. If its something like nuclear physics try and help the client to find what they are looking for. 
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    @Add3r Could you elaborate a bit more on arch-vis  ??  Is that like for real estate kinda thing ?
  • samnwck
    Offline / Send Message
    samnwck polycounter lvl 9
    @PyrZern It's more for architectural firms trying to help show what an end product for what they are designing to a client of theirs. When they're done in 3d, especially VR, the client can see exactly what they'll be getting, which when they're splurging millions to build whatever the building may be and having it designed, you want to make sure they get exactly what they want. At least generally that's what it's used for. 
  • Rurouni Strife
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    I'm with the guys who've branched out. Game Art Freelancing tends to be 75% small clients (at least for me) and thus I need to string together multiple contracts at a time. I've done some Advertising work with Unreal for a few places in New York that have deep pockets and huge clients that has paid very well. I've done some Arch Viz work as well.

I'm happy as long as I get to use game engines and my Unreal Expertise has been quite helpful in that regard.