Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Munnimun

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Munnimun polycounter lvl 2
Hey! I figured I needed to start taking progress and actually making work more seriously, so I'm hoping making a sketchbook (and thus creating a place to post stuff) would benefit that! 

I'm currently a second year student at a University studying Game Design/Art (very broad so far), including how to make games with a group of students every semester, so some of that work might show up here. Previously spent four years figuring out where I "belonged" studying media design-esque things. 

Cool. Comments, critiques, questions, conversation, discussions are welcomed! Here to learn! :)

EDIT: IM AT THE END OF THE THIRD YEAR NOW M'BARF

Replies

• Munnimun
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll start off with some sketches/silhouettes for a "create a character, model+rig it in Maya, pose it and put it in Unity" assignment. Definitely not used to starting  process off with silhouettes.
  • Munnimun
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's how that assignment turned out. No textures were required, did apply materials within Maya to make it look like something at least. Lots of things bother me, the rigging isn't perfect (first time rig, boy is it a struggle). Hair was sculpted in Zbrush, remeshed, exported to Maya. Everything else modeled in Maya. Presentation obviously needs work lol.

• Munnimun
    Offline / Send Message
    trying to shove aside the "you're pretty shit at what you do"-feels and just paint in a drawing I'd already done. @___@ with having to get a portfolio together to get a decent internship somewhere in a year it's been quite difficult; feeling like everything you produce won't be/isn't good enough and could be done way better, nyehg!
  • Munnimun
    Offline / Send Message
    Messing about in Zbrush. I'm having so much trouble not getting overwhelmed and figuring out the proper workflow, also finding a consistent answer on what steps to take appears to be hard, lel. Posting here so i have a decent reason to work on stuff 
    Also attempted to sculpt out an entire body, but as soon as I get to the limbs everything turns into noodles and consistent shapes are out the window lol.
  • Munnimun
    Offline / Send Message
    December 2016 aye, oops.

January 2017, little guy for a game weekend-long gamejam. Couldn't figure out how to make animations work in Unreal in that short time so we just pasted some stills onto a timeline:

March 2017, weird-lookin' blow fish guy for fun:

April 2017, school assignment to create a creature within Zbrush, supposed to be some kind of imp. Turntable here!

July 2017, drew up a character to then sculpt and create a finished character out of (have yet to finish the sculpt rip):

August 2017, spending time on and off on said character, doing an internship at an indie company in the meantime (thus not spending much personal time on anything):

November 2017, some progress on the character (finally), wanted to create the jacket in Marvelous Designer but so far I'm not sure how to work that software yet in terms of creating a decent pattern:

March 2018, wanted to get back into drawing more (or really creating anything) after feeling super drained:

April 2018, after not having touched 3D software for a couple of months after the internship I kicked myself into getting started on something again, not done yet, but it's a start of a sculpt based on artwork by Siwoo Kim, it's cool.

April 2018, messing around with fibermesh in Zbrush, figuring out how to tame that tool (she's got a sweet baldspot on her hair where I hadn't finished it yet huehueg):

Overall, feeling overwhelmed with everything there is to learn still and figuring out what the next logical step is, alongside school assignments. I'm currently working on a  base for a research assignment where I'm basically planning ot try out a bunch of methods to create hair for game characters.

Wanting to post here more and ask for feedback more because I've been questioning a lot of my (barely existing) workflow and other technical aspects, feels good.

• Munnimun
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying out 3DCoat to retopo a head and shoulders. Hot damn, this feels way better than Zbrush's retopology tools