Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Medbay Hallway

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
gerridoo polycounter lvl 4
Hey ya'll, I recently wrapped up this small 2 week hallway scene. It was mostly an exercise in mood and lighting within Unreal. I've been working in an echo chamber so any critiques or thoughts would be highly encouraged! 

Replies

• gerridoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • kohg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kohg polycounter lvl 8
    Big fan of your work, love the lighting and atmosphere, the only thing i could do without is the dirt on the floor, feels a bit weird, but maybe that's just me. Also thanks for the breakdowns, they're really useful to see how you put it all together.
  • Stosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stosh polycounter lvl 4
    Everything that has been created so far looks great. The one critique I have is that you titled it a medbay hallway, but there are very few indications that it is a hallway leading to or within a medbay. There are only two signs, which when first glancing I didn't notice them. I can understand if the power is out or electrical malfunctions took place, but I'd consider both adding or brightening the signage for the medbay. If this is designed for a game, it's best to make it more obvious to the player since likely they will spend a only few seconds walking/running through that hallway.

EDITED: Signage might not be the only way to do it, unless you don't want a hallway cluttered with medical equipment. Either way, if you didn't title it Medbay hallway, I wouldn't have thought that is what it was at this point. 
  • gerridoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @kohg I felt the floor needed a bit more variation, however I probably might've been too heavy handed with the floor goo decals. Luckily that can be easily adjusted. I'm glad you enjoy the mini breakdown! 

@Stosh That is a very fair critique and I agree, in hindsight it does appear the context of the hallway is not very clear or exaggerated and seems more like an afterthought than anything else. Thanks for your input! 
  • macoll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    macoll polycounter lvl 13
    The props look great and i love the mood of the scene !
    What bothers me is the overall busy look, i think it comes from the floor, too busy to me. Also, i am not fan of your ceiling mesh...I think you can add a lot of details on the side but when it comes to the floor, you must take really care of the 'too busy look', it can ruin a scene imo.

I had a look at your 'Sci-fi Armory Walkway scene' at Artstation, stellar work ;)
  • gerridoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @macoll I rather enjoy the flooring but that's just my opinion. Do you think the shapes in the rubber are too busy or is it from the goo decals? 
  • macoll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    macoll polycounter lvl 13
    I meant the shapes in the rubber indeed ;)

Also, i'd do the albedo of the floor more clear than the albedo of the ceiling 'or' i will increase the lighting for the floor.  I made a small test to explain my feeling about your scene, look at the screenie here, i simply 180° rotate the thing :)

I prefer this sight cause the floor is more identifiable...btw funny like the ceiling could be the floor and vice versa imo ;)

In your previous ''stellar'' work
    Sci-fi Armory Walkway, all is clear and in place to me (and i am not talking here about the design part).

Hope i am clear...my 2 cents ;)