Home Technical Talk

Former Microsoft Dev demonstrates VR Modeling prototype.

JordanN
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
JordanN interpolator
Last year, I posted news of a famous Disney animator using VR to draw cartoons. Now here's a new example of a developer trying out 3D modeling in a Virtual Reality environment.

As someone who now owns a VR device, I can imagine the huge wave of creativity inspired it. While modeling is one major use for it, I personally look forward to seeing texture painting. It would be exactly like how Studio Laika paints all their props by hand.

Replies

• fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    I can see my self sculpting in the vr
    but I can't imagine it being practical in anyway to model in vr
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Oculus Medium definitely looks more fun and practical. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9XlnW_Megk
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    That looks about as fast and easy as google sketchup (which is very fast and easy) but without the precision and 90% of the features to be honest. Not seeing any advantage, aside of the fun factor. 
    For a serious modeling environment this will most likely never be competitive, but in a non serious one, like within a game, it could really be usable and something special. Build a castle in multiplayer then a car to drive around, that could really be something. 
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    So.... when I'm sculpting female torso, will it look like I'm rubbing her tits ??
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    It will be  great  for prototyping scale, and arm reach..it will be  most useful when Unreal and Unity let you do this with BSP or something similar..its not enough to eyeball things(at least it is annoying to adjust)...best to get the feel of the scene in HMD
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Ive said it before and Il say it gain, VR is most likely a really, really bad idea for professional work.

could be cool for kids and schools though.
  • pablohotsauce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pablohotsauce polycounter lvl 7
    Cool, but prepare for neck RSI to be a thing, all of a sudden.

Also, why does it look like you're modeling inside a maximum-security holding cell?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The best part of this is the feature where you delete stuff by throw it off the table.
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
    pableaux said:
    Cool, but prepare for neck RSI to be a thing, all of a sudden.

Also, why does it look like you're modeling inside a maximum-security holding cell?
    I guess the idea is to have a background that isn't performance intensive for your system... maybe?

Also, we shouldn't presume to know how precise VR will be be 5 or 10 years from now just judging  from the current rather clumsy input solution such as Oculus Touch or the Vive wands.

If you've watched OC3 M. Abrash keynote, you have an idea of how big of a push there will be for technologies like hand and finger tracking in coming years. I'm not saying my mouse is going the way of the dinosaur any time soon, but it's very possible that 10 years from now we have an input solution precise enough to allow the fine gestures required by polygonal modeling packages, with finger or hand gestures recognition for shortcuts for instance. I think it's something to look forward to with cautious optimism.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    I'll only use this if I can don primitive-shaped boxing gloves and punch the shit of a boolean mesh......
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
    haha, that's a great idea right here :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'll only use this if I can don primitive-shaped boxing gloves and punch the shit of a boolean mesh......
    It'd be really cool if we could have multiple layers of meshes, like meat, bone, metal, wood, etc. It'd be taking a hammer to some meshes...