Home Technical Talk

Help with some baking

Offline / Send Message
Pinned

hey guys trying to bake this cave scene but i keep getting these weird missing chunks iv tried bringing the low poly as close as possible and it doesn't seem to effect it any takes on what is causing this thanks a lot ??

Replies

• Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I'm still trying to improve baking myself so will offfer what little advice I can :D What are you baking in, are you using a cage? 
  • colombia0066
    cage is the reference to baking from high to low? if yes then yes i am, I have a low poly model  and a high the vertex are not touching and are fairly close to each other so i don't know what is causing it Ive played with them and they seem to have not much effect it almost feels as if its coming from my high poly but i do not have such geometry running across running across the mesh
  • Bartalon
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    A cage is a third mesh object that is an identical yet inflated version of your low poly model.  It's a visual representation of your ray cast distance and direction.  Typically when you get blank spots on your normal map like that it's due to your cage (whether automatically generated or manually provided) has not "inflated" far enough out to encapsulate the volume of the high poly model(s), or your arbitrarily-set ray cast distance is not high enough.

In Maya it's called an Envelope and if that's what you're using to bake maps, you should have an option to use and expand it in the Transfer Maps option window.

http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Texture_Baking#Cages

• colombia0066
    i am using xnormals to bake it i created a new retopo from my high poly model if never had any issues like this before uvs are fine
  • colombia0066
    ok guys i got it, so this was my first time doing an organic bake before i had baked hard surface object which didn't really require me a cage as they came out perfect without one but anyways the cage was the answer i got it not and it is perfect here is an image thanks again.