Ted the Gharial | Game character | WiP

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Row' polycounter lvl 4

Ted the Gharial  

The tale of a saurian thug

model

Hi there! 

Ted is a character (based on a personal concept) I've been working on on my spare time for the past few weeks.  He's a gharial, he's a thug and he's meant to be a game ready model. 

The model was first sculpted in Zbrush, then retopologized in 3DS Max and will -soon!- be textured in Substance Painter. Finally I plan to upload him on Sketchfab :) 

Original concept

Rig and skinning by Camille Gangneux 

Zbrush High Poly

Replies

• PattyWhacker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PattyWhacker polycounter lvl 8
    Cool beans. This looks like a promising start, but I can imagine this becoming a great piece once textured. If you take this into the direction of cartoonish look but realistic textures kind of like the style of that film "Rango," I think you can come up with something special.
  • Row'
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Row' polycounter lvl 4
    Thank you for the suggestion @PattyWhacker ! I'm still a bit unsure about the texturing style and Rango can be an interesting inspiration.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    This is really cool! I can really picture this animating and coming to life.

Also, Ted is a nice guy name. Looks more like a Rosko or Diesel to me. :)
  • Row'
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Row' polycounter lvl 4
    I'm finally working on this guy again, after a quite long hiatus.
    So here comes the textured T-pose version. 

model
    I'm currently working on the rig. It's still in progress but Ted is already really really happy to be rigged!

• pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    I am digging ted!. I gotta jack his style cause that 8 ball shirt is fly.
  • Yadoob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yadoob polycounter lvl 7
    Nice and clean : great job !
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Dig the style! Looks like a rad character, good work!
  • Ouran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ouran greentooth
    Really like this guy ! I feel the folds could use a bit more boldness in their treatement though. They seem pretty shy and even the ones in the ankle area barely break the silhouette.
  • Row'
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Row' polycounter lvl 4
    Thank you all for your kind words, it means a lot to me <) 

@monster : Thanks for the name input! I'm not an expert at cool thuggish english names X) I don't know if I'm gonna rename him but Rosko sounds quite good 
    @pmiller001: 8 ball ftw! I loved the secondary meaning of the 8 ball design, it makes him a little bit more of a thug
    @Yadoob : One more small step toward the cleanest and nicest game character model ever!
    @Shiniku : Glad you like! 
    @Ouran : Indeed, the sculpt would have benefited from stronger and crispy folds...   I'm going to add some ambient occlusion and may be rework the textures a bit, see if I can make the folds pop out a bit more.
  • Row'
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Row' polycounter lvl 4
    model

Hey there! Finally, Ted is now rigged, posed and up to no good!

First, many many thanks to Camille Gangneux who did the awesome rig! You can see it in detail in his demo reel

(Almost) no rigger were armed during the making of this rig.

It was really fun to work on this character, learning a lot about making him as clean as possible. I might play with him a little bit more in the future: trying new poses (may be some animations) and integrating him in a game engine (Unity or UE4 I don't know) :) Hope you'll like him folks!