Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

SIG SAUER - Desert Issue

high dynamic range
Offline / Send Message
musashidan high dynamic range
Started this project with the intention of learning and incorporating Fusion 360 into my workflow. The idea was to see how quickly I could build the high-poly and manual retopologise.

Fusion 360 was actually very easy to pick up and it exports very high quality .STL files for use in Zbrush. From there it's onto Dynamesh(only required for parts that you want to sculpt on) and some extra sculpted detail. Some of the parts I just built directly in Zbrush. For anybody interested in this kind of 'solid modeling'(boolean) high poly creation I'd recommend having a look at F360. The filleting is really great.

I also used this project as an excuse to try out TB 3 beta. :)

Workflow:

High Poly Modeling/Sculpting - Fusion 360/Zbrush
Low Poly retopology - 3dsMax
Unwrap - 3dsMax/Headus UVLayout
Texturing - Substance Painter
Rendering - Marmoset TB 3(beta) / Iray

More pics to come and maybe a workflow breakdown.

Replies

• Mossbros
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossbros polycounter lvl 9
    on average how much time did this take you, longer or shorter than standard modeling would you say?
    I've been tempted to try something similar but never took the leap due to feeling much slower in fusion than max and maya. 
  • fdfxd2
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    Model's great
    though the texturing gives me flashbacks to the days where games just added a bunch of pointless grime and dirt to a model call it a day.
    I know that's not really what you did
    but it certainly feels that way to me.
    Maybe it's just that there's no lighting in the renders
  • RaptorCWS
    Offline / Send Message
    RaptorCWS polycounter lvl 11
    is there a reason you put glock on the slide of a sig?
  • rohMizuno
    that is awesome!
    how is fusion 360 compared with the Mesh Fusion from Modo? I have been planing on trying the boolean work flow to try getting out of my comfort zone and produce some more hard surface models but not sure what tool is more efficient.  I am also assuming both follow similar work flow, I have never have any contact with Fusion 360.
  • Daf57
    Offline / Send Message
    Daf57 polycounter lvl 9
    Very cool! I would definitely be interested in a workflow breakdown.

RaptorCWS said:
    is there a reason you put glock on the slide of a sig?

I was wondering about that, too! Maybe some battlefield armory going on? ;)
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    @Mossbros I modeled the gun first, which was the very first time I'd used F360. I literally opened the package and learned as I built. The learning curve was a piece of piss. All in the modeling took about 10 hours but, that was whilst learning the tools/UI/workflow.

Straight after I modeled the mounted flashlight. As I already knew the program by then it only took about 4 hours. Of course I could have done it in Max or Zbrush but I really wanted to give F360 a go. I'm a big advocate of learning as many modeling methods as I can. Try it yourself and see what you think.

@fdfxd2 thanks for the helpful feedback. There are only actually 2 dirt/grime layers: a generic grime and a fingerprint layer. I've since removed the grime layer and toned down the fingerprints. Most of the rest of what you might be seeing is colour/tonal variation on many different layers. It might have looked a bit random bu I assure you it's not. :) Thanks for the comment.

@RaptorCWS HaHa!! I didn't even know that was Glock's logo. I just thought it was some random weapons company/sponsor. It was about 2am when I googled it and when you pointed it out I  burst into laughter at my own idiocy! My knowledge of guns extends about as far as knowing that they shoot bullets. Thanks for mentioning it. Fixed now. :) It got front page shortly after I posted so just as well.....

@rohmizuno Cheers mate. I have limited experience with Modo but from what i can see in 10.2 it looks to have great options for this high-poly workflow. Both Meshfusion and rounded edge shader got updated. I found the fusion learning curve/workflow extremely easy/quick to pick up. This was the first time i ever used F360 and i literally learned as I built. You should try it yourself as it's free.

@Daf57 Thanks man. Nice of you to drop by. :) Glock error resolved. Haha! My ignorance of the arms industry has been revealed.....

hope to do a breakdown soon.

• musashidan
  • RaptorCWS
    Offline / Send Message
    RaptorCWS polycounter lvl 11
    looks good dude
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
  • Yamsha
    Offline / Send Message
    Yamsha polycounter lvl 7
    Great work! Would you be so kind as to show how the model looks inside Fusion (with edges turned on)?
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    Yamsha said:
    Great work! Would you be so kind as to show how the model looks inside Fusion (with edges turned on)?
    Thanks. will do. going to post some more images.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Your images seem to be missing.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @eric chadwick I just checked photobucket and it's down for maintenance.
  • musashidan
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    The model and dirt look really good but the final shots are extremely low on contrast, and the blue reflection sticks out strangely. I'd try another HDRI and try incorporate more of the lightness range, you can make this pop a lot more. 
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comment, @Shrike Yes, I wasn't entirely happy with the final render (first post) and will revisit it. 
  • Pajoo666
    Offline / Send Message
    Pajoo666 polycounter lvl 2
    Hi Musashidan,

I´m a Nurbs Modeller working with ICEM SURF, which is kind of the rival of Autodesks Alias. Since I want to learn how to build game props, tried 3ds Max, which is cool. Anyway, I heard of Fusion 360 and it seems to me that if the workflow from a Nurbs Modeller like Fusion to a Poly modeller is fine, I would definitely model in Fusion!

You wrote that you retopologized in 3ds max...Did you wrote an STL or Step file out of Fusion? And would you be so kind to explain a little bit how you managed to "decimate" and retopologized your model in 3ds? Or is "retopologizing" just meaning rebuilding to whole thing with the STL as a perfect reference? 

Hope you got this post, I know it´s been a while since you launched this topic ;)

Greets

peter