Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gargoyle Tombstone [WIP] - Stone study

grand marshal polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
Current:

CC welcome and appreciated!

Working on various props to throw into a portfolio. Decided to make an old tombstone. Created one with a cross on the top, spent a day chipping away and weathering it, sent it to a mentor of mine and he told me I needed to study old stone sculpting a bit more, and that the concept was a bit boring (http://imgur.com/x0KhSfz ), so I scrapped that and started again.

I've been wanting to do something with a gargoyle for a while, and had this idea for an old tombstone with a gargoyle's head protruding from the top. The actual stone bit is made from 4 different sub-tools so as to help me with cracks and the like.

The below image is the tombstone's semi-low poly so far, as well as the gargoyle's head. There looks to be some sick tutorials on proper rock sculpting so I'm defo going to check up on those. The words at the bottom read, "Mors Non Est Finis," Latin for, "Death is not the end." That's from google translate, but I've posted on the Latin Sub-Reddit to make sure it's a proper translation.

I'm a bit weary of sculpting the gargoyle's head too much as I'm afraid of making it look organic. I'll defo look up on some reference. I angled the head so as to make it looking down at the person who was buried.

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Chippin' away at the old tombstone. After subdividing, I saved the mesh as a Target Mesh. The brushes Mallet and Trim Smooth Border work wonders. I went overboard a lot and then used the Morph brush with a hard square alpha to bring back chunks of the original mesh. When digging into the mesh far away from the edges with Trim Smooth Border, then bringing most of the target mesh back was a good way of leaving all the pock marks in the cement. Lastly, Slash 1 was used to get some minor cracking effects. Going to leave major cracks for one of the middle pieces though.

Having the pieces split up so I can do edge wear in the middle of my model was a great suggestion. Gives it a much more interesting look.

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty happy with how things are going. Going to ask around for some CC and then start on the low poly version. I'll be giving the mesh more of a cement texture in Substance later. I'm actually really excited with how the face turned out, and also looking forward to the texturing more than anything.