Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gon Freecss

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Melazee polycounter lvl 11
Most recent image:

Hi Polycount!

New project after my platformer character, Ven! I decided I would remodel a character I did two years back, as I didn't do him any justice before. I've been getting the rough version done before I retopo over for the final base, neaten up the weird deformed areas and add detail, but I wanted some feedback before I went any further. Something is well off with his face, and I've been tweaking it for hours but I just can't nail it. It's something around the eye area on the 3/4 angle that looks off, and possibly his lips too. Perhaps I've been staring at it for too long. I tried to make his eyes similar to Hiro Hamada's from Big Hero 6 as I imagine Gon to be Asian, but I'm pretty sure I screwed them up on that 3/4 angle.

This is the character (I decided to make him a bit more Disney-inspired than anime since I fancied a bit of a change from the way I sculpted him before, so keep in mind I'm not sticking to this sheet 100%):

I will probably do a version with his jacket too:

Feedback welcome of course! :) 

Replies

• Melazee
    Offline / Send Message
    Update! Started on the rest of the body. Not too sure about the leg anatomy yet, and the hands might just be a tad too big? But yeah, next step will be to do some more on those boots!

• Melazee
    Offline / Send Message
    Update to Gon! Tweaked his proportions, gave him a bit more appeal. Retopo'd his face/arms/legs for better edge control. Started the jacket and the backpack. I've also got a retopo version of the hair in the works because this hair is super wobbly, that'll be in the next preview :) 

Next, I'd like to add a zipper to his jacket, sort out his weird hands and maybe bring them down a tad as the arms are possibly a bit too short. Block in the folds on the rest of the jacket (I've only messed around with one side so far). I also want to block in his fishing rod. I also need to do something to the knees, they look sort of weird but I can't quite place it... hmm.
  • Beard3D Bandit
    Offline / Send Message
    Beard3D Bandit polycounter lvl 7
    I loved the anime, one of my all time faves! I don't know if it's just me, but his limbs look quite thin. Hisoka is also someone I'd love to see you tackle :D
  • Melazee
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! Yeah I was thinking of modelling Hisoka, or at least doing some kind of scene with Gon when I'm done with his model. And yeah his limbs are pretty skinny, I have thickened them a bit under the jacket, they were really lanky in the last screenshot (I was given advice to thicken out the boots and legs which I did). I do need to go back to the arms again though and fix some things.
  • Melazee
    Offline / Send Message
    Calling high res done! I I'll add the backpack details in Substance I think :)