Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] VTOL SHIP

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Rmlambert polycounter lvl 4
Hey guys 3rd year is coming up and I'm practising over summer. I'm starting with this blockout of a ship I'm doing. This ship will be rigged, animated and comped into a scene aswell as changed into a game res asset so I've began with a blockout (still in concepting stage) it'll also have a rigged interior. The ship is an original idea but I'm using references for different parts. I intend to do paintovers to further develop the design, I've already recieved some crit regarding the turrets so I'll remove the bottom ones and tone down the top ones as they're a bit overkill.  All other crit welcome 

Story behind the vehicle: An assault class vehicle capable of transporting 5 troops in the back. It has two pilots. Made to only attack enemies in front. in the event an enemy is behind it is vulnerable due to the lack of rear mounted turrets and must use evasive manoeuvres to better its position. The engines swivel a full 360 degrees allowing the craft to travel at great speeds both down and backwards. Everything else is still to be decided on. The ribs on the side are supposed to mimic a manta rays gil slits in design and are for reducing heat on the craft if anyones wondering lol.

Replies

• Rmlambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a little progress update, working on the interior now, though I'd post a before bed. This is the centre console that goes between the two pilots, colours are not representative of the final model, just place holder.

• Rmlambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the chair for the pilots and I've begun blocking out the interior walkway of the ship. 
  • Rmlambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Update on the ship and how its looking so far, 4th image is a section of the engine btw.

Large primary shapes are being put in, then I'll move on to secondary and tertiary, major changes made to the turret system and overall shape.  Any crit would be highly appreciated :)
  • homart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    homart polycounter lvl 8
    Wow really love the shapes you have modeled for the ship ! Really nice level of detail ! Keep Going ! 

• sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    killing it dude, loving the design on this!
  • lophead25
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lophead25 polycounter lvl 10
  • Rmlambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    homart said:
    Wow really love the shapes you have modeled for the ship ! Really nice level of detail ! Keep Going ! 

sziada said:
    killing it dude, loving the design on this!
    lophead25 said:
    ayyyy son
    Thanks guys, really appreciate the support :)
  • kasigawa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kasigawa vertex
  • gfelton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gfelton polycounter lvl 6
    Beautiful shape language on that ship, looks gorgeous! :)
  • Tomiajayi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomiajayi polycounter lvl 2
    very unique design going on here. and I find that to be priceless in this day and age :)
  • Rmlambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kasigawa said:
    Wow, amazing!
    Haha thanks man :)

gfelton said:
    Beautiful shape language on that ship, looks gorgeous! :)
    Tomiajayi said:
    very unique design going on here. and I find that to be priceless in this day and age :)
    Wow thanks guys, those were the two things I was aiming for, shape language and trying to keep it original. I'm trying to get better with designing, I still have much to learn especially in areas like transition detail and grounding the design so it looks functional. Really appreciate it :)
  • Skaii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skaii polycounter lvl 2
    I want that chair for my desk, like really.

Like the others said already, the design is amazing. The only thing that I can say is the shape of the gun's base might differ a bit too much with the rest of the ship imho.  ^^
  • Rmlambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skaii said:
    I want that chair for my desk, like really.

Like the others said already, the design is amazing. The only thing that I can say is the shape of the gun's base might differ a bit too much with the rest of the ship imho.  ^^
    Thanks yeah though thats blockout mesh thats exactly what I needed, so I know to change the mesh, probably to a more organic shape that leads the eye to the turret, really appreciate the crit :).  I'm working on that area now so I'll post an update when I can.
  • Rmlambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I need to add to the mechanism that allows the turret to move but this is some progress made to the top section. I'd added 2 power management couplings to the turret. This is where the voltage is charged before being released through the barrel.
  • MaxHoek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaxHoek polycounter lvl 8
    crazy work man! this looks insane! how do you get all your inspirations from? 
  • Rmlambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaxHoek said:
    crazy work man! this looks insane! how do you get all your inspirations from? 
    Thanks man, I currently have 5 big moodboards . The main one (1.5gb lol) has reference for exteriors, interiors of ships, and hangars a lot of star citizen reference since I'm trying to get as close to their standard as I can, one with general design mostly concepts be it cars or just well designed products and others with general hard surface reference. But I use them for inspiration to create my own shapes as I'm trying to get better at designing unique shapes instead of placing together other peoples shapes.

The design of the ship is entirely mine but the chair is based on the audi chair concept, then I added a bit of a twist to it :)
  • MaxHoek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaxHoek polycounter lvl 8
    thanks man. keep up your good work, looks amazing!:) 
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    I love the look and feel of this craft. Great work, really looking forward to seeing it baked down.
  • Rmlambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, Heres a pillar for the interior of the ship, there'll be 2. Its enclose so it can be walked across, however the ship wires go through them so when any maintenance is required the handle is twisted pulled up then the panel flips up, from hydraulics pull the rest enabling access to the more important parts.
    I'm an animation noob but the model will be handled to a rigger this is just so that they have guidance in how to rig it, modelling of the pillar isn't done (its close as I need to move on) so Its a wip to see what fits . The panels moving will have a hydraulic mechanism attached to wheels which go around the edge of the pillar, once I know what I'm doing with the panels  Any design or cool ideas for a better mechanism is welcome,

• Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    That pillar is really fancy, really nice work so far!
  • Rmlambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 said:
    That pillar is really fancy, really nice work so far!
    Thanks Zi0, glad you like it :)
  • Rmlambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pillar complete, screws will be done floating or alpha. I want to go on forever but the idea of baking / making a low poly is worrying me so i'm cutting some detail short.

• gfelton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gfelton polycounter lvl 6
    Rigged with animations? I'm in love dude :)
  • Rmlambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gfelton said:
    Rigged with animations? I'm in love dude :)
    haha yeah, Its going to be rigged but a friend and fellow student. These animations are just so she knows what goes where / how things will work so its rough :)
  • Rmlambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Forgot I hadn't shown a shot in its landing / hovering phase. The landing gear will be attached to the back/bottom of the engine (nearest part to the ground in the images). I have a system in mind where it pops out of a panel and slides down. should have a demonstration soon :). I also have an engine rotation method to go from hovering to flight in mind so I should have an update soon, (though other assignments are taking my time away :(

• Rmlambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a submission coming up so rendered a quick turntable, you'll notice the bottom is cleaner as I remade it ( the fins weren't uniform and detracted from the top, but not its a smooth surface with more uniform panels) detail has also been added to the turret (added after the turnaround hence its missing from the video). I'm awaiting crit from a senior ship artist so this model is possibly subject to large changes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIFE-IE4P5M

• Rmlambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The crit arrived and I made some, drastic changes haha. But I finally think the exterior is near completion. I still have the interior and cockpit to do but the design will not sway far from here. Hope you like and all constructive criticism is welcome. I may not have time to implement the improvements but I'd love to know for future projects. 
  • Mossbros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossbros polycounter lvl 9
    @Rmlambert
    Coming along nicely dude :)
  • Rmlambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossbros said:
    @Rmlambert
    Coming along nicely dude :)
    Thanks man! :)
  • Rmlambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    External parts of the ship are finished. The cockpit and VTOL engines that slide out are the last bits left. Would have been further but other are getting in the way :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00bcUouDtLg
  • bsichterman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bsichterman polycounter lvl 6
    Looking good! Some really nice shapes in there. Curious to see the interior, the pillar looks promising :)

• Rmlambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good! Some really nice shapes in there. Curious to see the interior, the pillar looks promising :)

Thanks a lot, I hope to get the interior done if I had time but unfortunately I might have to cut it out as I have a main project alongside this. I'll try my best :) , if not it'll just be a cockpit, alternatively I'll add an interior after the uni submission.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    very nice hardsurface work, nice chair - in general the feel of this is ship is like if audi made space ships :)
  • Rmlambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged said:
    very nice hardsurface work, nice chair - in general the feel of this is ship is like if audi made space ships :)
    Thank you Ged, I never thought of the Audi comparison but looking at it now, I see what you mean. probably subconscious influence since I love the r8 :)
  • Grusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grusti polycounter lvl 10
    damn! This thing is HUGE!!! 
    I like how you present wip images, with fancy sci-fi lights, animation and such) 
    Great job! will be follow for sure
  • Rmlambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damn! This thing is HUGE!!! 
    I like how you present wip images, with fancy sci-fi lights, animation and such) 
    Great job! will be follow for sure
    Haha thanks man !,  really appreciate it :)
  • Rmlambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Landing gear animation blocked out as a guide for the rigger. Cockpit and engine details left :)

• Mossbros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossbros polycounter lvl 9
    I think the way you have the cockpit window opening just doesn't seem feasible, All that weight being lifted from the rear and pushing at that angle would bend the material. Pistons would be the only way I could think of it opening, and from the sides not the back. 
    If you want to keep that way of opening, it would need some serious support from heavy actuators or hydraulics and the like. 

The hinge idea although interesting kind of looks toy like. 
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, thats some good hard surface work right there.

I know you said you are finished with the exterior, but I think there could still be some additional work done to the underside, as well as the wings.  You have so much detail in some other areas, yet the paneling in these spaces looks so boring and plain in comparison, almost looks unfinished to me.

I can definitely see the value in having some large sweeping shapes to contrast the small detail in other spots, but some breakup would help, more interesting paneling on the bottom, some rivets or latches to break them up, anything.
  • Rmlambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossbros said:
    I think the way you have the cockpit window opening just doesn't seem feasible, All that weight being lifted from the rear and pushing at that angle would bend the material. Pistons would be the only way I could think of it opening, and from the sides not the back. 
    If you want to keep that way of opening, it would need some serious support from heavy actuators or hydraulics and the like. 

The hinge idea although interesting kind of looks toy like. 
    Thanks yeah I'm in the process of fixing it, I'm going to opt for the harrier design where the cockpits are split into 2 and rotate over the side. I should have an update soon :)
  • Rmlambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gsokol said:
    Man, thats some good hard surface work right there.

I know you said you are finished with the exterior, but I think there could still be some additional work done to the underside, as well as the wings.  You have so much detail in some other areas, yet the paneling in these spaces looks so boring and plain in comparison, almost looks unfinished to me.

I can definitely see the value in having some large sweeping shapes to contrast the small detail in other spots, but some breakup would help, more interesting paneling on the bottom, some rivets or latches to break them up, anything.
    Thanks for the crit gsokol, the reason I've left the object the way it is, is because I'm going to use the face weight normals approach so panels (and all baked detail for that fact) are added as decals /trim sheets. Therefore my now highpoly soon to be midpoly once I've converted it will have no surface detail only sillhouette. I'll then bake rivets, panels and such onto a plane creating a trimsheet and place them in later via the second uv channel. 

a bit like this ship made by philip howlett.