Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rose Dagger

grand marshal polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
Hey all, new to Polycount! I've been lurking in this forum for a few months and like how the community feels! I've been aimlessly modeling in 3D for a year and a half and have recently been told that, in order to go anywhere, I need to create a more specific portfolio. Thus I've started to focus on creating game props. Here's my first game ready item! Feel free to CC away.
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/nNbx6

Replies

• Vertrucio
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    Welcome!

Right now it looks like your texture work is pretty good, how did you make them?

However, your model is lacking a lot of detail, especially any crisp details. The blade looks blunt, and the pommel rose lacks any petal definition that could really set it apart. Did you directly model and texture the dagger, or did you make a high poly first and bake down? Because to get those details crisp you'll want to create a higher resolution version and bake down.

Because of this, the dagger is also missing a lot of the possible wear and grime that happens on those raised edges, or accumulates in the crevasses.
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't have much faith in my texturing skill, so thanks for the compliment regarding that!

High poly made in Maya then ZBrush, retopo'd in Maya, textured in Substance Painter. It was my first time retopologizing and using substance, so it was quite a learning curve. Because of this I was being a bit weary of adding too many polys to the petals. I agree that the blade looks flat... Totally see that now.

I was aiming to create something like this;
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/fc/79/1d/fc791d5f1eac41a6d640bdb7b3ddd5f4.jpg
  • Vertrucio
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    Yeah, you're missing a whole lot of sharp detail in the final model.

Show the highpoly you made please, because I'm only seeing the lowpoly retopo. Otherwise, I can't tell if it's a baking issue, or not enough detail.
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
  • Vertrucio
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    Ah, so your highpoly lacks a lot of the detail shown in the reference, without those, the model as a whole looks very blobby. But you're close, just cut in those harder details just like in the reference, add dirt/grime in the recesses/cavities, then wear on the raised areas.