Home Technical Talk

High poly model in realtime?

Tomiajayi
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Tomiajayi polycounter lvl 2
Anyone know of any fully done highpoly models that are available to look at in 3d.
like sketchfab or marmoset or an unreal/unity file or some sort?

It's just that i've been extremely curious to see what a model would look like in a game engine if it was completely unconstrained.

It seems like no one ever does this, and I don't see why not.
I'm sure if it was a lone character with no background or a very simple background, could still be at full poly resolution and wouldn't break a modern GPU.

all you need is 12fps really to play around with it..

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    It seems like no one ever does this, and I don't see why not.

This is done already for closeup objects in VR games (first person hands in the Rift climbing game, and the Vive controller in pretty much every Vive game) as well as in car sims.

However ... it's not all that simple, as there is more to graphics fidelity than just throwing polygons at the screen. This topic comes up regularly every time a new generation of hardware comes out, but at the end of the day the best/smoothest running games are always the most carefully optimized ones :)

There are definitely Marmoset users doing that for standalone assets though, no doubt about it ! You should be able to find some examples by poking around the FB group.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    It would just look like this.
    15mil+ tris.

• Tomiajayi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomiajayi polycounter lvl 2
    cool! I'd love to. that's just a jpg though, is there a 3d somewhere?
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Artstation has a 15mb filesize limit for Viewer ...... And it wouldn't play by itself (standalone file)...

Note; it's 180 mb. 
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Like @PyrZern said, its not much of that people do not want to do it, or that they don't do it on purpose... Its definitely due to large file sizes.  Example, a current side project I am working on, I absolutely rendered the HP presentation in marmoset, but obj by itself is in the hundreds of mb's. No way any site that has to do with showcasing work is going to support viewable files of that size, let alone the user downloading that file to view.  

It is possible, but is it feasible is the question :)  Same idea behind looking at HP wireframes, usually just so dense that its not worth the time putting the presentations together.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got a couple highpoly-ish scenes on my site: http://joewilson3dart.com/

These are only 1 level sub-d rather than 2-level that I used for baking, but something like 500k tris.

I would put some highpoly stuff on ArtStation but the 15mb limit is an issue.