Home General Discussion

Polycount Store lives again

Store link in the header, courtesy @r13

Our luvly GDC shirt design! Only one item so far, more to come. 

Replies

• bejibo
  • AtticusMars
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Any chance you'll be adding flat color designs?
  • m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    I'd like to see a review/actual photos of the shirt? Mock ups can look great but many times the shirt simply doesn't live up to the design, I also hate black shirts which have a super thick undercoating and ink layer that ends up cracking and fading after a few uses. These sorts of designs would look cool with discharge inks, but those are reserved for custom large runs, and not DTG print outsourcing which I suspect this is.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Here's one from 8 yrs ago, we should ask @seforin for an updated shot. Though I doubt it's the same inks. Have to ask @r13 for details. 

http://polycount.com/discussion/comment/846299/#Comment_846299
  • RobeOmega
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Where are the shirt shipping from? Might consider buying one if the shipping price is not too much, even with the pound/dollar price being insane right now.
  • danpants
    Offline / Send Message
    danpants polycounter lvl 14
  • Eric Chadwick
    Here's a shirt of mine, if that helps. Only worn/washed a couple times though.

• Eric Chadwick
    RobeOmega said:
    Where are the shirt shipping from? Might consider buying one if the shipping price is not too much, even with the pound/dollar price being insane right now.
    I think it ships from Seattle in the U.S.? Shipping is $10 for me in the Boston area.

EDIT: yes, it ships from Seatlle.
  • RobeOmega
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it ships from Seattle in the U.S.? Shipping is $10 for me in the Boston area.

EDIT: yes, it ships from Seatlle.

Okay thanks! I may wait until I have more money as shipping to the UK could be costly.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Would a polycount wifebeater turn your mind around?

• gfelton
    Offline / Send Message
    gfelton polycounter lvl 6
    Would a polycount wifebeater turn your mind around?

I don't even care what the price of that would be, just put it on the store!
  • r13
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    If a group of Europeans wanted to do a bulk order to save on shipping costs, we'd ship all the shirts to one address, we're happy to work with you. I could set up a special order in for it once the numbers, colours and sizes were picked. You would then need to distribute them on the continent yourselves though. 

We've consistently lost money every time we've offered shirts for sale. We're trying to be conservative as we can to try to avoid that this time. But we're also happy to be flexible enough so that you aren't spending money you don't have to. 
  • r13
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    Also the shirt he's shown is exactly the same shirt that we're going to print again, minus the GDC and Marmoset text. it's just the main image. 

Colors of the shirt and the inks are the same. We're going back to the same printer as well and ordering more of what we did before. That's what everyone has asked for that we talked to. 

• r13
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    This is a test for us, to see how the Shopify system works for us and you. If everything is awesome in a few months, we'll continue to develop the store. We'd love to bring back a few of our older designs on a more permanent basis.

We'd also like to implement a Workshop style system in which we'll take submission from the community for some low run special edition shirts. The GDC event shirts are a good example of a special event shirt for us. We would also give a percentage back to the artist as well, just like the Workshop does. We haven't done more than talk about this at a high level. We don't have any details to share on that as we don't have any. The first thing to see how this all works out for us all with what we are offering at the moment. 
  • beccatherose
    Offline / Send Message
    beccatherose ngon master
    I had such a great time last year, I hope to see many of you in 2017!
  • PhattyEwok
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    what happened to the old store?
  • r13
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    The store was at an online t-shirt print on demand vendor. The vendor took such a large cut that to make the price reasonable, we had to run it with zero profit. The vendor was paid, but we got literally nothing but emails and tax statements. We let it run like that as we knew that we were at least getting some shirts out to those that wanted them. After a year or so, we'd average 5-6 shirts a month. It was getting us no where so we shut it down. This time we're trying to put these lessons into practice. We're doing everything we can ourselves this time to cut costs and be a little more proactive on making things people would like. 
  • pachermann
    Ye super cool! i ordered a green and a white  :)

by the way the shopify-card checkout show the shirts, name, color and the image
    name and color is ok but but the image is always green one.

might stop people from buying.

best,
    pascal
  • Eric Chadwick
  • Kazperstan
    Offline / Send Message
    Kazperstan greentooth
    It was lost, but now it is found.
  • PhattyEwok
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    Legit! I want one. Had no idea about the profitability issues. I bought quite a bit from the store hoping money was going to polycount :( You guys should totally bring the beanie and buttons back. (Scarf too!) ;)
  • another caveman
    Offline / Send Message
    another caveman greentooth
    We could make them ourselves I guess, so the money goes fully to pc or something
  • r13
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    Legit! I want one. Had no idea about the profitability issues. I bought quite a bit from the store hoping money was going to polycount :( You guys should totally bring the beanie and buttons back. (Scarf too!) ;)
    We have a local supplier/printer here in Seattle that we're working with to keep the quality high and prices as low as we can. I'll be the one personally packing up these orders and sending them out. can't get cheaper than that. :)   But that means that yes, we will get to the point where we will have more options [ i personally want a hoodie ] as we have a partner who can do all the clothing stuff with us.

I want to find a source here for enamel pins... like the PAX pins... i should ask Kappa... 

i want to do the flat style pins that mirror the in-game versions from Overwatch, Dues Ex and Team Fortress. 

maybe some 3d printed versions of the greentooth....     i'm thought wandering now... but yes... my point is we want to do more merch, but we aren't going to rush it.  we aren't gonna to ever to the sort of volumes that will make us money.  100 shirts has been a struggle for us to sell in the past.  This is part of the reason that we make sure our merch is as high quality made as we can find. If we are only going to have 100 shirts out there, we're gonna make sure they are going to last more than a few wash cycles. We don't want to put our names on a piece of crap and sell it to you. I saw an example at Steam Dev Days of a shirt from 2007 that still looked pretty darn good. Made me happy to see that. 
  • r13
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    We still have the PSD's around somewhere in the storage vault, we could easily do a run like that. We'd treat it like a Greentooth Workshop entry and send him a check for the new run. 

and yes i just called it the Greentooth Workshop.  done.  We'll probably open up a submission forum for design ideas in the near future too. 
  • RobeOmega
    Offline / Send Message
    @r13

+1 for the submission forum for design ideas. I also prefer the design of the classic greentooth style t-shirt as seen on the 2015 GDC shirt over the 3D greentooth (personal preference)
  • AtticusMars
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Not sure if anyone else would be interested but I'd like to have something like a small embroidered patch that could be easily sewn/ironed onto a backpack/jacket/hat. (example) I don't really like shirts/hoodies because its hard for me to find ones that fit well enough that I'd wear them. At least with a patch I can just apply it to something I already own.

Greentooth balls would also make pretty cool keychains. 
  • another caveman
    Offline / Send Message
    another caveman greentooth
    Not sure if anyone else would be interested but I'd like to have something like a small embroidered patch that could be easily sewn/ironed onto a backpack/jacket/hat. (example) I don't really like shirts/hoodies because its hard for me to find ones that fit well enough that I'd wear them. At least with a patch I can just apply it to something I already own.

Totally down!
  • r13
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder

I'd like to do a standard logo badge , you can consider that it will happen. I'll talk to my printer this week. 

but I'd also a like to do a set of Polycounter Merit Badges too.  A "UV-ing" badge. A Box Modeling badge. A Sculpting badge.     Like the Psychonauts badges, but for Polycount :) 

• Add3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Been rocking my pull over PC hoodie for years now, since prob 2011? Can't remember.  I know I get asked about it a lot at work, I know many who would be interested if the hoodie was revived :) Glad to hear things are now on track! 
  • BucketOfNuggets
    Offline / Send Message
    BucketOfNuggets polycounter lvl 6
    I'm with @dustinbrown , that design looks awesome!
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Awesome! the design...the store...everything!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Yes! Awesome to have this back up. Now I'm just waiting on designs I don't have. Also PC hoodie would be great.
  • Tekoppar
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    Add3r said:
    Been rocking my pull over PC hoodie for years now, since prob 2011? Can't remember.  I know I get asked about it a lot at work, I know many who would be interested if the hoodie was revived :) Glad to hear things are now on track! 
    I'd totally buy 2-3 hoodies and pay whatever it costs to ship them to Sweden.
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I miss the old design. :(
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    hoodies....and a PC coffee mug
  • radiancef0rge
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    +1 for mug and hoodies
  • Shuaws
    Offline / Send Message
    Shuaws polycounter lvl 5
    yah for sure lets get some mugs +1
  • AHME8
    Offline / Send Message
    AHME8 vertex
    wow , this is so cool , you using the polycount logo in t-shirt  . gooood ... i almost  about to make my copy but i dont know if it`s legal
    copyright this days are everywhere ...
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    AHME8 said:
    wow , this is so cool , you using the polycount logo in t-shirt  . gooood ... i almost  about to make my copy but i dont know if it`s legal
    copyright this days are everywhere ...
    Using the Polycount ‘Greentooth’ Logo

The ‘Greentooth’ Logo is Polycount’s unofficially official logo. That is, it is not ours but it is yours. It was created by our community and adopted by our community as the sole representation of the entire Polycount Community. As we see it, the Greentooth logo falls in to the ‘Creative Commons’ and is free for you to use in your artwork, projects, independent or “AAA” videogames. All that we ask is that you do not make money off of it directly – that is, selling items specifically branded with the Greentooth logo. (E.g. A micro-transaction item branded with the Greentooth logo isn’t allowed, but you’re more than welcome to use it elsewhere in your videogame as you see fit.) If you would like to see specific examples of how Greentooth has appeared in many of todays most famous videogames, check out the Reddit post about Greentooth and the Polycount Thread Greentooth Sightings in Videogames. If you have any further questions regarding the logo or its use please contact us.

Source: http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Polycount:About

So if you want to make your own shirt, go ahead. Just don't go making money off of it.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Well, the design with the flame is not strictly the same as a regular greentooth. I would treat the flame design like any other derivative art. It contains a greentooth, but someone added more art to it.

Drew would probably be OK with someone making a copy for their own use, but I'm trying to make a larger point here.

Think about when someone posts a screenshot of their character that has a greentooth tattoo. If you copied that artist's work, you would be infringing on their copyright. Even though the tattoo is free to use, the rest of the character is probably not.
  • Eric Chadwick
    So, I'm curious if anyone has gone through, added a shirt to their cart, seen the final price with shipping, but then bailed out before buying?

Reason is, we need a few more orders to make it economically viable.

If everyone that checked the price actually bought a shirt, then we could take the price down even lower. But as it stands, we're not seeing enough movement.

Any tips on what to change? Besides adding more items, we hear you loud and clear on that, and will be adding more things.
  • RobeOmega
    Offline / Send Message
    I kind of waiting for a standard Greentooth shirt to come out. Currently the shipping costs $20 which is the same price as the shirt (and made even more painful by the recent changes to the pound vs the dollar.)

Is it possible to have an EU store and a US store?
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    So, I'm curious if anyone has gone through, added a shirt to their cart, seen the final price with shipping, but then bailed out before buying?

I'm holding off for more items - any chance we see them in the near future (a mug perhaps or a hoodie??)? Because shipping to China is a b*#$%, and I would prefer to order as much PC merchandise in one go as possible. Not just a t-shirt alone.
  • Rockley Bonner
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12

Kinda missing the classic logo...

• mystichobo
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12

If everyone that checked the price actually bought a shirt, then we could take the price down even lower. But as it stands, we're not seeing enough movement.

Any tips on what to change? Besides adding more items, we hear you loud and clear on that, and will be adding more things.
    I did; It was mostly down to the shipping cost to Europe (was the same as the cost of the shirt itself), so I decided to hold off on buying until there was a few more things in the store so I could bundle them together in a bigger order to attempt to cut the shipping price down.

• Eric Chadwick
  • BucketOfNuggets
    Offline / Send Message
    BucketOfNuggets polycounter lvl 6

I did, shipping to Australia with our terrible dollar makes it a bad deal for me. Hoping my partner has grabbed me a shirt for Christmas though :smiley:
  • Eric Chadwick
    As you may have noticed, the store is currently dead. 

We had 10 orders for the shirts, all have been refunded. We needed 35 orders for the printer just to turn on the press and start making the shirts. We were hoping we'd clear that threshold easily, but it just didn't happen. 

I have a bunch of greentooth stickers. There's one on the back of my car, it's awesome. If you want one, PM me your mailing address and I'll mail one. Green, pink, or gold, take your pick. Not as nice as a shirt, but it's something.
  • Tekoppar
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    Make some normal greentooth hoodies instead and I'll personally buy 3.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    :( darn. Are there any other stores that can handle lower volumes? e.g. Coffeepress?