Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Need specific advice on getting into the industry

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Yamsha polycounter lvl 7
Hi polycounters,

I would really appreciate some advice on what I should focus on in my development as an artist, and I know Polycount is one of the best places to get serious feedback.

Here's the situation: I'm 27, working a full time office job, and trying to get into the games industry. My long term goal is to eventually do concept art for something like Deus Ex, Cyberpunk 2077 etc. For the moment I've managed to get some art-tests and interviews at mobile and casual companies, but wasn't picked. When I look at job offers online I see that most offers for 2d artists mention being able to do UI. 3d artist positions are also relatively abundant. Low-level concept art jobs on the other hand don't seem to exist.

In light of this situation I'm asking myself if I should learn to do UI or 3D or just continue doing what I'm doing (which you can see here: artofjd.com). I'm not that interested in UI, so I'm not really excited about learning it. 3D on the other hand I like a lot, and have some experience in. The problem is, I have never really done game res stuff, so I think it could take a long time to learn enough to help me get employed, and my concept art could suffer in the meantime.

What would you do in my situation? Continue with just 2d art, learn GUI, or learn 3d?

Here's some of my art to compensate for all those words.

model

Replies

• Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    I would probably avoid learning something that you are not interested in even before touching it so maybe skip the UI, although It probably could help you out.

As for 3D the last piece that you show looks good, and if you continue working in that style you should be able to find a job at a indie/mobile company doing a mix of 2D and 3D.

Your other option is of course getting better at 2D, I'm no expert and I'm no where close to being able to paint as good as you, but there is a lot that could get better, So the reason you haven't had any luck yet is probably not because you didn't have another skill but just that they had other applicants that were better, looking good though so you will naturally get better as you continue to paint, you just need time.
  • Yamsha
    Offline / Send Message
    Yamsha polycounter lvl 7
    Thank you so much for the advice, this helps a lot already.
    BTW I've seen your work before, I've been drooling over that Red Rocks piece for a while!
  • Eric Chadwick
    I like your art!

The first 3 images are great, and the lovecraft too. 

A few pieces might be hurting your portfolio, I would suggest removing them:
    • cyberpunk-character-3000.jpg (rendering and proportions not up to par, compared to cyber-junkie for example)
    • Tanker-painting9FLAT.jpg (rendering isn't as good as your best pieces, subjects are unclear)
    • buoy-painting.png (same)
    • the_unfinished_manuscript.jpg (same)
    • speedpaint+2.jpg (same)

Life drawings should all be removed. They don't belong in an entry portfolio. 

Is the jetpack.jpg a 3d model? Some text explaining it's 3d, and how it was made would help. This should be in 3d section. Or better yet, put everything on one page. Don't break it up. 

For a concept art position, it would really help to show multiple angles of the same subject. Breakdowns of a character for example. A concept art job is not just making pieces that set the overall mood, it's visual exploration of a theme. Explain how a subject is put together, what the parts are, etc.

I hope this helps. I moved your thread to 2D Showcase, since I think you're basically seeking portfolio critique.
  • Yamsha
    Offline / Send Message
    Yamsha polycounter lvl 7
    It certainly does help, thank you!

I removed the images as you indicated.
    I will have to experiment with adding the 3d stuff to the main page, I'm not sure if I can do that with the Squarespace template. If not, I can add them as stills.
    The jetpack piece was made in Modo, with some dirt added in Photoshop. It was meant more as a 3d concept, not game asset, the geo is really ugly in that one. This is why I put it in the concept section rather than 3d. I will try adding some description to it, if the site allows me to.
    I'll try doing some breakdowns / callouts of the stuff from the Lovecraft piece. As you've pointed out the more concept-art oriented stuff is missing.

Thanks again!
  • Eric Chadwick
    Squarespace is kind of a pain for browsing. I have a script blocker, and your site is a blank unless I whitelist it. The art slideshow is kind of slow to use, I personally dislike fades. 

Best thing is just a single page with all your art on it, scroll down to see more. Maybe click on something to make it bigger.
  • pablohotsauce
    Offline / Send Message
    pablohotsauce polycounter lvl 7
    I'm kind of in the same boat: I started off thinking I wanted to be a 2D artist (an illustrator, in my case, not necessarily a concept artist), but then waffled between wanting to do that vs. going into 3D for videogames, on and off for years, never really getting anywhere with either. Recently I've doubled down on learning 3D because I realized I was wasting time, and, as you pointed out, 2D jobs are much more scarce.

My impressions of 3D compared to 2D: it's slower, much more focused on technical issues, and involves a lot less pure creativity in exchange for lots of crafting. Where 2D can be compared to coming up with ideas for various house designs and doing tight sketches of them, 3D can be compared to building the chosen house design, brick by brick, plank by plank, wiring it, tiling the roof, painting every surface, putting in floorboards, picking out the lights and installing them, putting out the fire your quick and dirty wiring job caused and having to rebuild the entire wing of the house that burned down, pasting up wallpaper, hanging pictures, building the furniture, sewing the bedding, firing up the kiln to make dishes, cooking dinner, and serving it on said dishes. 2D is quick, surface-level creativity and invention compared to 3D's relatively slow and thorough crafting, implementation, and solving technical issues. They're different beasts.

That isn't to say creativity and concepting aren't a part of 3D. Tor Frick concepts stuff in modo, quickly. And 2D designers use quick 3D blockouts as a base in their drawings.

That also isn't to say you couldn't do both: lots of concept artists know a little practical 3D. If they have full-time jobs at game studios, they aren't going to be coming up with new ideas all the time, especially near the end of production.

Basically, decide whether you like being creative all the time, on command, and whether doing 3D all the time instead would be stifling for you. You clearly have potential with 2D. Up to you! I'm still not sure what I want to do; probably a mix of both. But, I had a job for over a decade that made it so I had to be creative on command. On days where the creativity flowed, it was great. On days when it didn't, it sucked, and that wore me down after a while. Not having to be creative on command in order to do my job well sounds like a breath of fresh air.
  • Greg Westphal
    Offline / Send Message
    Greg Westphal polycounter lvl 9
    Hey man, 

A few things to watch out when trying to break in.  First thing "My long term goal is to eventually do concept art for something like Deus Ex, Cyberpunk 2077" yet none of this has the same flavor of those games.  If 343 is hiring a concept artist, Sparth is going to be looking for someone who has solved similar problems in the past.  Remember that design is just educated solution providing, if you need someone to do vehicles, you want someone who knows the ins and outs of vehicles.  I don't recommend specializing early in a career but the work you have in your portfolio will show your interest and provide an insight in how you think about that world.  

Second, a bit of what Eric Chadwick said but you're not going to get hired to do the same pieces a seasoned pro will get hired to do.  Its a lot of 3 quarter view or variations when starting off.  Doing similar scenes in different camera angles and providing a solution to the same problem in multiple ways will get people interested in your work as well.  

Third, and this goes kind of with the first thing, but have projects in your portfolio, not stand alone pieces.  I made this mistake for years and it really hampered me finding work.  If you have 6 or 7 pieces from the same project, even one that is made up, an art director can understand how you think about the world much easier than trying to guess from a stand alone piece.  

Lastly, if you're serious about being a concept artist its a long and arduous rabbit hole.  Submerge yourself in it.  Listen to all of the Collective podcast, download brainstorm tutorials, watch FZD Design cinema and ArtCafe.  Find any scrap of information you can and add that to your understanding of the industry and expectations of the work.  

27 is not to late to break in.  Jan Urschel didn't start till he was 28 I think and the dude is incredible and has gotten to work on amazing projects.
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    If you love 2d, stick with it.  One thing you should work on is not just finished pieces.  Do silhouette studies and also sketches.  Maybe do some character or hero prop concepts.  In a studio, you usually go through a thumbnail phase, a sketch phase, and then a final concept phase.  Having examples of a piece of art at all stages is VERY useful for people looking at ur folio.  27 is definitely not late.  Concept art is the HARDEST to really excel in IMO.  It also tends to be the most Sr Artist dominated discipline IMO because you want the best person available for your pre-production phase.  Your stuff is solid though, just keep at it and draw 24-7.
  • Yamsha
    Offline / Send Message
    Yamsha polycounter lvl 7
    pableaux said:
    That also isn't to say you couldn't do both: lots of concept artists know a little practical 3D. If they have full-time jobs at game studios, they aren't going to be coming up with new ideas all the time, especially near the end of production.
    Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm definitely going to continue doing some 3D, as I use it a lot to start my concepts. My dilemma was more about just continuing to do my messy, concept art type of 3D vs learning to do proper production 3D, which is another beast altogether. Maybe I'll try to do more handpainted pieces as that doesn't require learning the whole high-poly/baking part, and leverages my 2d skills more.

Hey man, 

A few things to watch out when trying to break in.  First thing "My long term goal is to eventually do concept art for something like Deus Ex, Cyberpunk 2077" yet none of this has the same flavor of those games. 
    I knew I was gonna get called out on this, haha. This is definitely a longer term type of goal. In the short term I was targetting mobile studios more, hence for example the cars, the karting game, or the colorful watermill piece. I also like those type of visuals as well, Brothers: A Tale of Two Suns is in my top 5 favourite games of all time. I will definitely do some cyberpunk stuff as well in the future, as I love that aesthetic.

Second, a bit of what Eric Chadwick said but you're not going to get hired to do the same pieces a seasoned pro will get hired to do.  Its a lot of 3 quarter view or variations when starting off.  Doing similar scenes in different camera angles and providing a solution to the same problem in multiple ways will get people interested in your work as well.  

Third, and this goes kind of with the first thing, but have projects in your portfolio, not stand alone pieces.  I made this mistake for years and it really hampered me finding work.  If you have 6 or 7 pieces from the same project, even one that is made up, an art director can understand how you think about the world much easier than trying to guess from a stand alone piece.  
    Yeah, I definitely have to start doing more of the production type of stuff like orthos etc. and projects as well. I really like the linework in your portfolio BTW. It seems familiar, I think I saw you posting about FZD on conceptart.org.

Lastly, if you're serious about being a concept artist its a long and arduous rabbit hole.  Submerge yourself in it.  Listen to all of the Collective podcast, download brainstorm tutorials, watch FZD Design cinema and ArtCafe.  Find any scrap of information you can and add that to your understanding of the industry and expectations of the work.  
    That part I got covered, haha. I listen to all of those regularly. I especially like Maciej's stuff as I have a similar background (Polish potato field :D ) and interests as him (cyberpunk, anime, music, jiu-jitsu and mma, silly jokes :P )

slosh said:
    If you love 2d, stick with it.  One thing you should work on is not just finished pieces.  Do silhouette studies and also sketches.  Maybe do some character or hero prop concepts.  In a studio, you usually go through a thumbnail phase, a sketch phase, and then a final concept phase.  Having examples of a piece of art at all stages is VERY useful for people looking at ur folio.  27 is definitely not late.  Concept art is the HARDEST to really excel in IMO.  It also tends to be the most Sr Artist dominated discipline IMO because you want the best person available for your pre-production phase.  Your stuff is solid though, just keep at it and draw 24-7.
    Thank you for the encouragement! I will try to take the house from the Lovecraft piece and design it out more precisely, with some variations etc. to add what you mention to my portfolio. 

So, to sum it all up, I should:
    -Stick with 2d, get better at it
    -Maybe do some 3d in addition
    -Not go into UI if I'm not into it
    -do more 3/4 views, ortho, sketches, multiple angles, breakdowns, variations, not just finished scenes
    -do projects

Thank you all for the advice, it's all very helpful and encouraging!

• trezzinator
    Offline / Send Message
    trezzinator polycounter lvl 4
    Hiya! In my experience, the way to get a job in any discipline in game is "just get really, really good at it". I'd say your 2d work has less distance to cover to get to "professional" level than your 3D work does-- I think it's pretty cool, and it's probably just a matter of working on your tech chops (others have given excellent suggestions how to do so already) till you get to where you need to be. Some of my concept artist friends hone their craft/ make a lil' money/round out their ports/ get their name out by taking contract work in the interim, including non-game contract work... one friend at an AAA does some gorgeous cover art for self published fantasy novelists. 
    P.s. 27 too old to break in?! Pah :smile: I went back to school for 3D at age 31 and I'm at an AAA now a couple years later. GET OFF MY LAWN. jk
  • miguelnarayan
    Offline / Send Message
    miguelnarayan polycounter lvl 8
    I'm in the same boat as you,working hard to revamp my portfolio, which is a mess atm, but if I had to give an advice to my past self would be:

- Don't believe what a lot of people tell you about the industry, there's certainly a lot of romantic ideas about concept art around, at the end of the day, it's just design. The term concept art is very shady, there's more design than art involved in it, unless you work for Disney, visual development, etc.

- Learn 3D early on, it'll skip the hassle of setting a perspective grid if you can just go to 3D, set a few blocks, render, and draw/paint over. Some things are faster in 3D than 2D. Zbrush is (arguably) faster for creature design to visualize there rather than 2D.

FZD Design Cinema: Feng Zhu is one of the best, if not the designer for concept, the work he did for Dead Space' creatures is just stunning. He thinks a lot like a industrial designer, he treats his concept art as products, which is ultimately the goal for you, not paint pretty images!

HowToNotSuckAtGameDesign Blog: This blog is run by a game design teacher, from what I understand and has gold advice for his students, that he extends to the blog, he also answers questions that users submit, on occasion. It is a extension source to Feng Zhu. The title of the blog is self explanatory, but he goes with the do's and don'ts, de-mystifies the romantic ideas people have about concept art.

Chris Oatley Blog: It's run by an ex-Disney artist that runs his own academy and as such emphasizes art more than design, the way I see it. It goes against some of the values the other two blogs try to instruct, but there is useful info there. At first, I trusted blindly to it for my portfolio dev, but that didn't work too well for me. 

If you don't like UI, don't do it. It'll reflect on your work. BTW, how can you like cyberpunk and not like UI? Ash Thorp and Janice Chu, both do UI and are both very different, maybe you want to check them.

From the images you show, they do look cool and have quality, so it seems you have your bases on fundamentals covered, which is a big part of it.

Darren Bartley focus is more on the design side than art  http://fightpunch.deviantart.com/gallery/ it's a great view to compare your shape and form follows function design terms.
    Joel dos Reis work presents a readable project sheet to aid a 3D modeling pipeline, which is ultimately what you'll work for. https://www.artstation.com/artwork/garrett-design
  • kaktuzlime
    Offline / Send Message
    kaktuzlime polycounter lvl 14
    Hey Yamsha, saw this on the frontpage so I figure I'd give a quick reply. I've worked as a professional concept artist since 2008, for various companies in mobile and AAA production, and I have several friends on the Deus Ex team at Eidos. A lot of people will want to give you advice, and although keeping an open mind is important, you also need to retain a sense of critical thinking. Some of what I or others say might not apply to you. I've been wrong in the past and I will be again. That said, I'll do my best to provide something useful. 

First off, the position of Concept Artist is one of the most coveted jobs in the game-industry, and as such, the level of competition is extremely  high. You're competing with people who draw/paint/design 8 hours a day at their job, and then go home to do the same for 3-4 hours at home, honing their skill and practicing with diligence. Especially today, with the availability of cheap and great education such as videos and online classes. Concept Art is really a lifestyle, and I had to make many significant sacrifices in my personal/social life to get good enough. 

The companies/jobs you listed are particularly difficult, you're looking at some of the best in the AAA industry, they have the brand power and money to attract some of the top talent in the world, which you'll be competing with. 

I look at the pieces you've posted here, and you're not yet good enough. Comparing your art to the art of other artists in the field you clearly have to put in a lot of work. Accepting this is the first step to improvement, no matter how frustrating or devastating it might be. Keep your day-job, and practice 3-4 hours a day after work, and then all weekends for the next 2-3 years and you've got a shot. 

For what you want to do, which is realistic sci-fi, which includes a lot of hard-surface-design, 3D is essential. The people I know in that bracket are often proficient with Modo and/or Sketchup. Photobashing is also a very common technique. Screw UI, if you don't like doing it you won't be able to put in the time and effort needed to get good at it. It's good to be versatile in terms of environment/character/weapon etc. however. 

Look at the artists doing this kind of work, and compare with them, and make sure you ty to get your level close to theirs. Here are a few examples. 

https://www.artstation.com/artist/nivanhchanthara
    https://www.artstation.com/artist/oxanstudio 
    https://www.artstation.com/artist/sobakuchiuchiu 

Hope that helps! You've got potential, stay diligent :) 

• Yamsha
    Offline / Send Message
    Yamsha polycounter lvl 7
    I look at the pieces you've posted here, and you're not yet good enough. Comparing your art to the art of other artists in the field you clearly have to put in a lot of work. Accepting this is the first step to improvement, no matter how frustrating or devastating it might be. Keep your day-job, and practice 3-4 hours a day after work, and then all weekends for the next 2-3 years and you've got a shot. 

For what you want to do, which is realistic sci-fi, which includes a lot of hard-surface-design, 3D is essential. The people I know in that bracket are often proficient with Modo and/or Sketchup. Photobashing is also a very common technique. Screw UI, if you don't like doing it you won't be able to put in the time and effort needed to get good at it. It's good to be versatile in terms of environment/character/weapon etc. however. 
    Hey, thanks for the advice. No worries, I'm not delusional enough to think my work is anywhere near good enough for the companies I listed. ;-) They are a long term goal, something to aspire to. The studios I interviewed for, were small mobile/casual companies. I wanted to get started on some work, mainly so that I would be able to draw/design 8 hours a day + the 3/4 hours at home, as you recommend.
    I'm definitely on board with 3D, both pieces you see in this thread were started as Modo blockouts. I also do some Fusion 360, Blender and 3DCoat. I actually wouldn't mind if 90% percent of what I do, was done in 3D. I just like doing concepts, it doesn't really matter to me which tools I use, as long as they work. As mentioned previously, my hesitation was more about learning proper production 3D, vs the dirty concept 3D I do currently. 

I'm in the same boat as you,working hard to revamp my portfolio, which is a mess atm, but if I had to give an advice to my past self would be

Thanks for the advice and resources, some of them I knew already, others I didn't and they're great. When I was talking about not being thrilled by UI, I meant the mobile/casual game UI that small companies are looking for. What Ash does for example I think is great, but also another skillset entirely, compared to concept art. Didn't know about Janice's stuff though, it's cool too.

Hiya! In my experience, the way to get a job in any discipline in game is "just get really, really good at it". I'd say your 2d work has less distance to cover to get to "professional" level than your 3D work does-- I think it's pretty cool, and it's probably just a matter of working on your tech chops (others have given excellent suggestions how to do so already) till you get to where you need to be. 
    Thanks for the advice Thérèse. It's an impressive career shift you managed to accomplish. Seeing this kind of stories is definitely motivating. 
  • Yamsha
    Offline / Send Message
    Yamsha polycounter lvl 7

Hey, thanks for the advice. No worries, I'm not delusional enough to think my work is anywhere near good enough for the companies I listed. ;-) They are a long term goal, something to aspire to. The studios I interviewed for, were small mobile/casual companies. I wanted to get started on some work, mainly so that I would be able to draw/design 8 hours a day + the 3/4 hours at home, as you recommend.
    I'm definitely on board with 3D, both pieces you see in this thread were started as Modo blockouts. I also do some Fusion 360, Blender and 3DCoat. I actually wouldn't mind if 90% percent of what I do, was done in 3D. I just like doing concepts, it doesn't really matter to me which tools I use, as long as they work. As mentioned previously, my hesitation was more about learning proper production 3D, vs the dirty concept 3D I do currently. 

I'm in the same boat as you,working hard to revamp my portfolio, which is a mess atm, but if I had to give an advice to my past self would be

Thanks for the advice and resources, some of them I knew already, others I didn't and they're great. When I was talking about not being thrilled by UI, I meant the mobile/casual game UI that small companies are looking for. What Ash does for example I think is great, but also another skillset entirely, compared to concept art. Didn't know about Janice's stuff though, it's cool too.

Hiya! In my experience, the way to get a job in any discipline in game is "just get really, really good at it". I'd say your 2d work has less distance to cover to get to "professional" level than your 3D work does-- I think it's pretty cool, and it's probably just a matter of working on your tech chops (others have given excellent suggestions how to do so already) till you get to where you need to be. 
    Thanks for the advice Thérèse. It's an impressive career shift you managed to accomplish. Seeing this kind of stories is definitely motivating. 
  • korpehn
    Offline / Send Message
    korpehn polycounter lvl 10
    Hi Yamsha,

I think Kaktuzlime summed it up pretty great. 

One thought about doing portfolio work to get an indie job. I worked as a 3d artist doing hand painted stuff for the first 3 years of my career (I too wanted to become a concept artist doing sci fi stuff). It was pretty fun and working at small studios gave me a chance to learn game dev pretty much from the ground up. I spent those 3 years with practically no life. Taking CGMA classes as often as I could. Drawing every morning before work and after work.  I had a steady salary, I lived comfortably. But I was progressing slowly.

I then spent 1.5 years doing freelance work and spending all my freetime painting and drawing. I worked about 20-30% on freelance contracts. During this time I made much less money, but I got a whole lot better.

I'm not really suggesting you go freelance, but rather a year or so down the line, think about looking for jobs that will allow you to have more practice hours per day. It might get you to your goal faster.

Tldr; Taking a part time job will give you more time to spend on your drawing and painting skills, but less money (you won't notice because you will be in your dark room painting anyway).

Best of luck!
  • SherifRateb
    Offline / Send Message
    SherifRateb vertex
    You've got a lot of answers already from the experts lol.. Keep in mind these things though:

1. You could learn texturing way faster than 3D modelling since you're a 2D artist. So look at something like Borderlands for example, the game is all about the textures, and you could definitely master this style in the near future and apply for similar style companies.

2. In this industry, it's all about who you know. So look for every mashup or event related to this field (Media, Gaming, Art). Make yourself a nice business card with a link to your portfolio and BAM.. you're a free agent available for hiring.

3. To get to the big guys, you need to work with the smaller guys first. So approach indie studios and startups they are always looking for good talent that they can afford. Maybe you'd prefer working with indie studios than AAA after all.

Never give up on your dreams and good luck finding a good job :wink: