Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Stylized Shield - Zbrush Learning

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
N4meless greentooth
Hi everybody.

Here another props to continue my learning of z-brush.
I used the art of Marie Lazar for the concept.

Here is the basemesh from 3Ds max

And here is where I'm for now.

I'm fine with the metal and branch part, i can do another pass on the branch but I'm currently struggling to do the center wood part any advice would be welcomed.

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Center wood, just carve out the BIG crevices.  The noise and other elements you could just paint in yourself at the texturing stage, or if you're down to be production speedy, just pull it from the concept.
  • N4meless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    N4meless greentooth
    I finished ! here is the final sculpt and the baking and texturing (all done in substance painter).

For the wood part i used the orb_crack and some painted mask

Can see some more render and more information on my artstation
  • VeryCrunchyTaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VeryCrunchyTaco polycounter lvl 7
    Really great work, it came out well!

I feel like the shadows could have a little bit more pop to them.  On the front side of the shield, it looks like the shadows get darker, but don't get any additional saturation.  On the concept, the shadows are more of a dark red, and on the model, it's more dark brown mixed with black.  Also, I think around the handles could use some additional dark spots, kind of like how they are on the front as well.

It's a bit tricky to describe, so I made a gif of what I think could help out a bit!  I threw on an additional darker color layer at 60 percent using a fairly saturated red.  

That metal looks super lovely, and I love this piece all around.  And also, take everything I say with a grain of salt, as I've still much to learn.  All in all, stellar work!  :) 
  • Dragonar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dragonar polycounter lvl 10
    Really cool ! and I completely agree with @VeryCrunchyTaco ! Keep going ! :)
  • pixelb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelb greentooth
    Oh weird, now there's a model of my concept that's pretty much a study on Tyson's concept which makes this a study of a study...or something.

Anyway, I suppose it's too late now but the wooden piece is supposed to bulge outward slightly. 
    CrunchyTaco is right, there should be more shadows painted into the texture or at least render it with stronger AO.
  • N4meless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    N4meless greentooth
    Thanks all !

@pixelb
    Well that's fun ^^ you are a really good artist and i choose your study principally for the central piece of wood on your shield wanted to try some stylized wood sculpt.

Ans it's never too late and change the shield for the bulge but won't update the sketchfab tonight.

I made a complete retake of all the material (except the leaf) and try to add some shadowing.
    I wanted too hard to do real pbr so didn't add so much of it but as expected it's really better with some shadowing for stylized stuff than without.

• Earthyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Earthyn polycounter lvl 2
    Ohhhh adding the shadows really made this model pop! Beautiful Design! :)