Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ascalon: Guild Wars in UE4

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Sebvhe greentooth
Hi guys,

I'm starting a new project, it has been too long since I last did a proper scene!
I'm recreating one of the most iconic scene of my personal video game experience, Pre-searing Ascalon in Guild Wars. I played this game for about 9 years straight, and really wanted to give it a go! It will only be a one month project, for personal reasons I won't be able to continue this in November, it feels like a monthly noob challenge!
This is a screenshot from the game :

This is what I've done so far, I'm currently focusing on the terrain. Everything but the backround blockout is the terrain, using one material with 4 textures blending.

I'm using textures I made using photogrammetry, I already created a thread for them so I'm not going to explain that here.

I know the project is still an early draft, but I'd appreciate any feedback, it's always easier to make changes whilst everything can be changed quickly!

Cheers!

Replies

• Grusti
    Offline / Send Message
    Grusti polycounter lvl 10
    Oh snap! So much memories))) subd! 
    as i can remember terrain in that area has big variety in height, but I might be wrong) need to play again!

• Nicorepe
    Offline / Send Message
    Nicorepe polycounter lvl 4
    So many nice memories man! I love when people rework classic game environments, really looking forward to this!
  • Nathanramsey
    Offline / Send Message
    Nathanramsey polycounter lvl 5
    Oh man! Just like the others said this brings back some fond gaming memories. Definitely sub'd for this, goodluck!
  • SimonTG
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonTG polycounter lvl 10
    Not a ton to critique for now but I like where this is going!
    Gonna need to pay close attention to the lighting if you want to get a similar feel as GW. From what I remember of the game, it had a rather unique "dream like" feel to it with bright/saturated colors and some heavy light bleeding/bloom. 
  • Sebvhe
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebvhe greentooth
    Thanks guys! I played it again to get references, I'm so nostalgic of that game :smiley: I actually think I'll play it again.

SimonTG said:
    Gonna need to pay close attention to the lighting if you want to get a similar feel as GW. From what I remember of the game, it had a rather unique "dream like" feel to it with bright/saturated colors and some heavy light bleeding/bloom. 

Very good point, I actually never realised that. It's good that you mentioned it because I'm not a huge fan of burned out skies. I'll try to do a first pass on the lighting soon. Lighting is definitely my weakest skill so I'm going to need to pay extra attention to it.

I created my first tree using photogrammetry. Also first time using speedtree and still not 100% happy with it. I have a hard time creating a foliage material in UE4.
    The grass is imported from a previous project, I'll try to do photogrammetry grass!

• Sebvhe
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebvhe greentooth
    Little update, more trees and foliage!
    Also started playing with lighting and HDRI
    Let me know what you think :smile:

• Nathanramsey
    Offline / Send Message
    Nathanramsey polycounter lvl 5
    I think the overall quality is great, but it doesn't feel much like Ascalon. I think its a bit too green right now I'm not that well versed when it comes to environments but that's the first thing that pops to mind. Almost like you're doing Ascalon at a different time of year then what was in game.