Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Grommash Hellscream WIP - Zbrush/Hand-painted

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Wendy de Boer interpolator

Most recent progress:

Original post:

Hey guys!

It's been entirely too long since I've made a personal piece.  I spent a lot of my free time taking courses over the past couple of years, so I figured it's time to put that new knowledge into practice by making a character!

I'll be trying out the Zbrush sculpt to hand-painted diffuse workflow for this, which I haven't done before. My usual workflow is to go straight to lowpoly and hand-paint that. I've had the opportunity to sculpt a few characters at work though, so this will be a fun project to really push those skills to the next level.

Anyway, I'm totally jumping on the orc bandwagon like a little fangirl, and started working on a Grommash Hellscream.  :3
I'll mainly be going off of this concept from Warlords of Draenor: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2167961/Grommash_Hellscream.jpg

The goal will be to make the final character look as closely to a painted concept as possible. I will not be holding back in terms of polycount or texture budgets. I really want to see how far I can push a hand-painted character with this.

So without much further ado, here's the base body so far. Progress is very early, right now I'm just establishing the proportions and main muscle forms. Any comments are very welcome! I intend to learn a lot on this project, so do not hesitate to tell me if I derped. :)

Replies

• Enalya
    Really good start! Good anatomy. I feel like his arms starting point (shoulders) can be a bit closer to his chest.
    How did you separate the head from the body in level of detail?
  • Wendy de Boer
    Offline / Send Message
    @Enalya : Good catch! Now that you mention it, his arms did look a little detached, so I brought them in a little as per your suggestion.

As for the level of detail on the body and head, it's simply a continuous base mesh. However, as the edges of the torso and shoulders converge into the neck, it gets relatively denser.

This is what it looks like at the lowest division. I like to keep my base meshes as low as possible. I actually just started this from a generic male base mesh, and I'm surprised it held up fairly well, considering how far I had to stretch out the mouth and ears.

• Sebeuroc
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebeuroc polycounter lvl 13
    Looking cool so far. I look forward to following your progress.
  • Enalya
    Thanks for your reply, I see! Yes it held well; you can mostly see it in the low poly nose and ears but it doesn't look that stretched.

Succes landgenoot ; )

• lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    wow. thats pretty impressive pushing the basemesh that much.

and a great start overall, the head looks really weird from the side view though.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments, guys! :)
    @lotet :What about the head do you think looks weird from the side view? Is it the overall anatomy, or is it how the tusk appears to graze the face? If it's the latter, unfortunately I don't think that can be helped. If I move the tusks in or out a little, they will simple graze the face again at a slightly different angle.

This is where the face is currently at.

• SveinY
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY polycounter lvl 6
    Fantastic work so far! tho I would love to see more asymmetry in the face and a thicker neck.

• lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    @Wendy de Boer
    its not really anatomy or anything like that, I just feel its not really look as orcy as the front view, its really hard to explain, I hope this paintover illustrates what I mean
  • tomenjerry
    Offline / Send Message
    tomenjerry polycounter lvl 6
    @lotet I agree! He doesnt look very angry atm. I think especially the nose, but also the eyebrows need to be more... "angry" (?). The body looks really good though, no crits there. goed gedaan!
  • Wendy de Boer
    Offline / Send Message
    @lotet: Thank you for doing a paint-over. I understand what you mean now, but I don't necessarily agree with it. Your paint-over doesn't look like the character, IMHO.

Here's a close-up shot of the face that I've been using as my main reference: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2167961/1280x720-TPi.jpg

The concept is from the front, ofcourse, so the side view is up for some interpretation. However, you can still readily see he does have a high forehead and dome, not small and sloped like your version. You can also see that the angle of the jaw appears to be very small in comparison to the chin.

I had matched the jawline and other features to the concept as best as I could (save for some asymmetry which I haven't added yet). Here's a GIF anim showing that:

For the side view, I took some cues from the Blizzcon statue sculpted by Steve Wang and his team: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2167961/1556227_836575399720990_2307815161829160210_o.jpg

I didn't go out of my way to match the Blizzcon statue exactly, since I mainly want it to look like the concept. However, you can see on that version that the nose isn't hooked, his brow is not that deep and the angle of the jaw is indeed very small, perhaps surprisingly so.

I do really appreciate the feedback, but in this case it's not what I had in mind for the character. Sorry about that! :3
    @SveinY : Thanks! I plan on adding asymmetry when I get to the next division level. As for the neck, I tried to match it to the concept, as you can see in the above image, but I might fiddle around with it and see how it looks.

@tomenjerry : Dank je wel! I think he will look more angry when I get the brow detail in with some asymmetry. I do want to keep it semi-neutral, though, since this is basically the "default" expression. :)
  • MadGunslinger
    Offline / Send Message
    MadGunslinger polycounter lvl 3
    Woah this is gonna be really cool! Keep it up!!
  • tda
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    This looks amazing dude, really strong start. I'd love to give you a crit but i've got nothing! I'll be watching this progress for sure :)
  • wrigglybear
    Offline / Send Message
    wrigglybear vertex
    This is going to look great! Look forward to seeing the progress :) 
  • Pixelatedkiwi
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixelatedkiwi polycounter
    Looking like a solid start! Looking forward to seeing more :)
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    @Wendy de Boer - hey, Im not telling you to follow my crude paintover by the pixel or anything, it was more of a way to show what I mean. He just looks very human from the side view and not that orcy, thats all. :) even that Steve Wang looks very different then your side view actually.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Offline / Send Message
    @SveinY : I made his traps bigger near the base of his skull. I think it looks better, thanks for spotting that!
    @MadGunslinger : Thank you! Hopefully I can live up to your expectations. XD
    @tda : Thanks! I'm a dudette, btw. ^_^
    @wrigglybear : Thank you!
    @Pixelatedkiwi : I'm glad you like it so far! It was actually your War character that filled me with the overwhelming urge to put on hold the art course I was taking, and start on my own character instead. :proud:
    @lotet : I made some adjustments, probably not enough for your liking, but I definitely wanted to make sure the front view lines up with the concept still. The various versions of him are different in execution and don't necessarily match up. The main version I want to capture is the concept art, and the rest I just use as general inspiration.

I got more work in on the anatomy. It's not at final detail yet, but getting closer. I decided to detail the entire body, even if much of it is going to be covered by clothing. It's a good opportunity to get some anatomy practice in, which you can never do enough of! Especially legs and feet... can't skip leg day! ;)

• odonpachi
    Offline / Send Message
    odonpachi greentooth
    this is looking pretty good already!!

i had some pointers about the legs and started on a paintover before i read your latest post... so i guess you're already aware of my critique i have for you lol!
    since i already made it, i though it wouldn't hurt to post it anyway  :p

(i'm by no means an anatomy expert so don't rely on my feedback completely!!)

my concerns are:

the quads looks "melty" - like it's running down the knee. 

also, the tibia muscle looks bent witch makes the bone also look bent, i think...

(i hope this was somewhat helpful)

anyway, it will be really interesting to hear your opinion on this texture painting workflow because i have never tried it either!!!
  • Wendy de Boer
    Offline / Send Message
    @odonpachi: Thanks for your feedback!  However, the tibialis anterior is supposed to cross over from the lateral side of the tibia all the way across to insert into the medial side of the foot. It does not insert into the big toe like in your version and it doesn't make a noticeable plane change with the tibia itself. I did give both the tibialis anterior and the tibia itself a bit of sweep, because I think it gives a cool gesture to the leg. Maybe I made the gesture too extreme, though?

As for the "melty" vastus medialis, I did get that from my anatomy reference. It's probably a unique variation, because it only shows up on the left leg, but I thought it looked pretty cool.

Reference from: http://www.3dscanstore.com/
    I highly recommend it for any character artist!

• odonpachi
    Offline / Send Message
    odonpachi greentooth
    ok then i'm with you!!

just to be clear; i did not think it looked "incorrect", just unusual.

if it's an artistic choice, you should go for it!!
  • Mateus
    Offline / Send Message
    Mateus interpolator
    I'm finding this thread informative and also loving the progress. It seems that we're have a good wave of warcraft fanarts in this forum.
    Where is your 3D portfolio, if you don't mind me asking? I saw you pixelart, which is great, but I'd like to see more of your 3D as well.  
  • Wendy de Boer
    Offline / Send Message
    @dustinbrown: I think you're right, I'll tone it down some.
    @Mateus : I'm looking to rebuild a 3D portfolio starting with this character. There's some recent stuff I did at work I would show, but it's still under NDA. Any work older than that I don't care to show, as it's no longer representative of my current skills.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Offline / Send Message
    I was about to start blocking out the nose ring when I realized I didn't like the angle of the upper lip. As I was about to fix that, I realized what I really needed to test is whether I could get a reasonable open and closed morph on the mouth. I also added some quick poly-paint shading on the face, mainly to make sure the tattoos don't deform all over the place when the jaw is moving.

These are not final expressions. For one, I didn't touch the eyes and brow at all. They are just rough tests to make sure the mouth construction makes enough anatomical sense for it to support proper facial animation. I also didn't add any extra detail or asymmetry yet, as I wanted to make sure this worked before pouring a lot of detail into the face.

• Wendy de Boer
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm still plugging away at this, although I don't have as much time as I would like! ^_^'

I have been working on the teeth and gums. I did my best to get close-fitting functional bite, despite the natural underbite. In humans, if there is even 3mm of spacing between the upper and lower teeth, you start speaking with a lisp and have trouble eating. I wouldn't want Grom to be drooling all over himself, so to have a semblance of normal function, I opted to make the entire upper row of teeth the smaller row. The teeth interlock normally otherwise, just in reverse, basically. It was pretty tricky to make sure that the pointy upper canines don't pierce the gums of the lower jaw on the inside, and also to get the tusks to fit without overly huge gaps. I had to drop some molars to make space for those big tusks.

I may have been overthinking this, but that's what makes it fun, right? XD

And here's what it looks like with the head. I didn't have time to do the detail pass on the face yet, so feel free to ignore that part! It does show the changes I made to the side profile, so hopefully that looks better. I also added the piercings, because I wanted to get those in before starting on the face details.

Anyway, I'll be going on a holiday shortly, so I won't have access to my digital art tools for a couple of weeks. I'll probably do some sketches instead, so I can figure out some parts that aren't clear from the concept.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    @Wendy de Boer
    Do you get this feeling with the Blizzard Orc facial anatomy, it's generally a human head and muscles that are adjusting for the huge teeth and jaw, so there's no "new" invented muscles?  Like on just forceing the nasiolabial fold to be stretched instead of inventing a new form to deal with the teeth?
  • Wendy de Boer
    Offline / Send Message
    @Brian
    I generally really like the direction that Blizzard has taken recently with their orcs, specifically in the Warlords of Dreanor cinematic and the Warcraft movie as well, ofcourse. I think they look a lot more realistic being based off of human anatomy, and it makes sense, because when you look at comparative anatomy, the musculature is surprisingly similar in all mammals.

I also think basing it off of human anatomy helps a lot with making orcs that look genuinely expressive in animation, since we are so in tune with how a human face emotes. I love how they did this for the cinematic orcs. It makes them very relatable and not just some dumb beast.

Thinking about how skin would behave, I imagine you'd definitely get a large nasolabial fold stretched around the teeth. It seems to make bio-mechanical sense to me. I didn't really stretch muscles around when working on this. Instead, I thought about the muscle's origins and insertions, as well as their angles of pull, and what directions you'd want the lips and the corners of the mouth to be able to move. I also thought about how the skin would pucker as a result of those muscles pulling. A lot of that is described in Scott Eaton's facial anatomy course, which I took last year.

There are many renditions of orcs that have very boxy or otherwise unrealistic heads, with incorrect facial planes and no apparent anatomy. And to me, that looks invented, rather than a real creature.

Please note though that I didn't fully finalize the face yet. It still needs more detail and asymmetry. Also, I didn't touch the eye and nose area when making the open mouth pose, since it was just a test to see if the mouth would open properly. To make it look like a proper roar, I would need to furrow the brow, add wrinkling around the eyes, and add the nose wrinkles that you'd get in a snarling expression.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Looking good, love those teeth screenshots, kinda creepy but really cool at the same time. :)
  • Wendy de Boer
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! I'm on a holiday right now, but I can't wait to get back to this project. :)
  • Wendy de Boer
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick little update to show that I'm back from my holiday, and back to working on this! :D

So far, I blocked out the hair. I also added some additional anatomical features. I figured that if I'm going to turn this into a full anatomy study, I might as well go all the way. I suppose it was a good thing too, as I ended up revising a much wider area around it to make things fit properly.

That said, I'm not sure if I should consider showing the full base body. I could definitely use some community input on that. 

• Faf
    Offline / Send Message
    Faf interpolator
    Really impressive work ! Can't wait to see it done :smiley:
  • Mateus
    Offline / Send Message
    Mateus interpolator
  • Ben_Fr
  • SveinY
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY polycounter lvl 6
    Really great work on the anatomy and the face! He seems a bit short but maybe thats just me.

• Wendy de Boer
    Offline / Send Message
    @SveinY : At only 7.5 heads tall, I can see how he might read a little short. I tried to specifically match the proportions to the concept, though.

At least in terms of scene scale, he's not short. I set the eyeball to be human-sized (25mm in diameter with a 12mm iris). As shown earlier in the thread, I matched facial proportions to the concept by overlaying them, and then I matched the body proportions in the same way.

Using the eyeball as a size reference like that, the character comes in at 220cm, or 7'3". That's 20 cm (8 inches) taller than the player orcs in WoW, according to this neat little chart: http://i.imgur.com/kGTo4Fj.jpg

Here's how I measured when I was establishing the proportions of  the base mesh:

On a random side note, with the scene set to real-world units, it's pretty funny to take measurements to find out how big the character really is. For instance, his hand is twice as long and three times as wide as a normal human one. His shoulder width is more than a meter, he'd have to go through the door sideways! :D

• Wendy de Boer
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so I finally got around to doing a detail pass on the face! I also fixed up the polypaint to be more accurate.

And here's what it looks like with the hair blockout. I wanted to get the rough volumes around the head in place before detailing the face, to get a better idea of how the likeness is coming along.

• Mateus
    Offline / Send Message
    Mateus interpolator
    He's looking badass! Do you have any idea of how much time you're putting into this guy on a weekly basis? 

Edit: Something I have noticed is that his nose on the concept and the cinematic (WoD) is less defined on the bone part (nasal bone). On the concept It seems thicker/meaty. Might be nitpicking though.
  • RitualSynergY
    Offline / Send Message
    RitualSynergY greentooth
    Looking great, cant wait to see more progress shots. :smile:
  • TomGT
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    Looks awesome. The face looks great!
  • Wendy de Boer
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys! :)

@Mateus : Way more than I'd like to admit! Around 16 hours. I'm more used to working with mobile budgets and the only characters I've sculpted were a lot simpler and more stylized. I'm really pushing myself to sculpt this to a detail level I haven't done before, but as a result, it's taking a lot of time. I'd like to think of it as study time more than production time, really.

You're correct about the nose. It was an artistic decision on my part to define the bone more. I also made some changes to the brow compared to the concept.
  • SveinY
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY polycounter lvl 6
    Awesome update, the face is looking really great! :)
  • FifthExodus
    Offline / Send Message
    FifthExodus vertex
    I wish I was as good as this. You're a professional clearly :). Nice work, why still on the orc bandwagon though? Pretty much done dead after WoD.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Offline / Send Message
    @FifthExodus : Thanks! I guess I only really caved to the orc trend when the Warcraft movie came out, LOL! I suppose by the time I finish this, orcs will be totally uncool. But that's okay, I'm a nerd anyways.  :D
  • Pixelatedkiwi
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixelatedkiwi polycounter
    Looking rad keep going! :)
  • RogerP
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    This is looking sweet Wendy!
  • Mateus
    Offline / Send Message
    Mateus interpolator
    These sculpted characters just take too long to do... Thanks.
    Orcs will always be cool : )
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    really nice!
    looks like him in that last render too :)
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Somehow missed that one, was really nice to see the progress through the thread, love where this is headed.
    Will follow this :)
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    This anatomy is studyable.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments, everyone!

@Brian : Thank you, although I suggest you get the info from the source! I very much recommend these courses for your anatomy studying purposes: http://www.scott-eaton.com/

• Wendy de Boer
    Offline / Send Message
    I finished detailing the rest of the body now. Ofcourse, much of the detail will be covered up by clothing in the end, but I really wanted to take the opportunity to go all out with anatomy practice on this.

On a side note, I'm still not sure whether it's okay to post the uncensored version of the base body. My main concern is that Blizzard might take issue with such a revealing rendition of their character, especially when posted on a major game art forum.

Ofcourse, I could take out the character's name from the image, as well as the most obvious identifying markers, such as the piercings and tattoos. I could even crop out the head from the image entirely. But it would still be easily identifiable simply from the comparison with the other pictures I posted.

Any community input on this would be great, especially from those at Blizzard!

A close-up of the hands. All this effort and he's gonna wear gloves. :D

I made an effort not to get lazy with the feet. Scott Eaton pointed out on his anatomy course that feet are an often understudied subject, so I had to make sure I didn't make that mistake.

• gfelton
    Offline / Send Message
    gfelton polycounter lvl 6
    Anatomy is great, the nipple rings are even better :)