Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

`cereal.money` concept art ~ give me some critiques ~

hey hey boys and gurls ✌️

first post here! thanks for creating such a cool community. about me: during the last years i've been designing and developing digital products for startups. which is kindof boring. the last months i've been playing with three.js making some really basic 3d stuff. in order to improve my skills in c4d and after effects i decided i'm going to make a project for fun.

inspired in cereal.social, i'm going to be designing cereal.money, a data viz interactive microsite that showcases the latest tweets about top global cereal brands. coz tweets are soo significative on brand awareness right? haha

so i started with some concept art for three sections of the microsite.

please! critique the composition and colors. be hard on me!! ✨

i feel like the second one is missing something... but what?

peace, have a nice day!

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • underdogkid91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seemed a little washed out to me - did some color adjustments - and I usually try to keep my rgb channels below 240 and above 5 otherwise you are maxing out your channels and you can get vibration and blowouts.

totally agree! it was bit too whased out. i wanted to go for pastel colors, but went a bit too far haha

thanks for pointing it out and the rgb channels tip, i'll give it a try later today :smiley:
  • underdogkid91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey hey!
    after letting the concepts sit for a bit, i gave them another try. this is how they came out – plus some extra comments. pretty excited with the new visual direction.
    critique my art!

• Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkhorse polycounter lvl 12
    This is a good bit of visual design. My only suggestion would be to color shift your palette when you zoom in on the individual boxes to ensure each of them pops when they're the focus. 
  • underdogkid91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a good bit of visual design. My only suggestion would be to color shift your palette when you zoom in on the individual boxes to ensure each of them pops when they're the focus. 
    hey stinkhorse, thanks for the feedback

i made some adjustments to equalize and increase the contrast of the boxes. i think that makes the edges vibrate more with the background and the illustrations stand out more. is that what you meant?

(top: new, bottom: old. check out full size)

• Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahhh, not exactly but it doesn't hurt. What I mean is that when you focus on a single product to read it's tweets you could shift the palette so it pops out more as a focus. Here's an example of what I mean.

• Handwiches
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Digging the color scheme a lot and general visual hierarchy. On top of what Stinkhorse is saying, I think even in a lineup, Lucky Charms and Kix are getting fairly lost. Even the slightest hue adjustment would help imo. 
  • underdogkid91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey hey,

Ahhh, not exactly but it doesn't hurt. What I mean is that when you focus on a single product to read it's tweets you could shift the palette so it pops out more as a focus. Here's an example of what I mean.

i see. i went for contextual background colors, meaning the background has the same tones than the box in the tweet view. i have a tendency to like monochromatic images :D you can see it below, do you think it's better?

Digging the color scheme a lot and general visual hierarchy. On top of what Stinkhorse is saying, I think even in a lineup, Lucky Charms and Kix are getting fairly lost. Even the slightest hue adjustment would help imo. 

thanks man :) i think the contextual backgrounds will help with that too. what do you think?

update:

feedback? ✌️
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The color shift to pair with the given box isn't a bad way of pairing, but the box and message field really need more saturation to pop as the image the viewer should be attracted too. The rest of it feel like good additions. The milk in the bowl was a good visual separator for the important interactable elements vs the less important background.