Home Technical Talk

Blender Mega Thread

Replies

• wazou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wazou polycounter lvl 5
    Only pixivore works on carver.
    Box cutter and carver have some features, round vertex for box cutter and profiles for carver for example.

• MmAaXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MmAaXx polycounter lvl 10
    Grimwolf said:
    I was thinking of 2.8. mmaxxe accidentally referred to it as that, and I got mixed up. As a smaller update, it does have a reasonable number of useful changes.
    I'm disappointed by it, but I can see how others would be happy. Mostly VFX Animators, and not game artists.
    my bad
    For make game assets  Blender has already one of the best ore even the best tool sets on the market, can you be more specific?
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    MmAaXx said:
    For make game assets  Blender has already one of the best ore even the best tool sets on the market, can you be more specific?
    Not the person you were addressing but I would really like to see the addition of a bakeable rounded edge shader.

I'd also like a good automatic UV packing solution. Apparently Maya recently implemented something on par with IPackThat but works much faster, I know this was originally the goal of SaphireS's GSOC project but I'm not sure how far they got with it.

• Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    I'm quite happy with every update. There are always at least a few small things I can benefit from.
    It's for sure not an easy task for them to priorities changes.
    I don't see "lack of professional direction" here.

2.8 viewport changes sound awesome.

Hard to tell what kind of change I would personally like to see the most, viewport is already on the plan, an asset management would be great.

• Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    MmAaXx said:
    Grimwolf said:
    I was thinking of 2.8. mmaxxe accidentally referred to it as that, and I got mixed up. As a smaller update, it does have a reasonable number of useful changes.
    I'm disappointed by it, but I can see how others would be happy. Mostly VFX Animators, and not game artists.
    my bad
    Stock pie menu setup. Bevel vertex. Contextual tools/hotkeys. Improved edge loop selection. Inset/Extrude segments. Selection type hotkeys (vert/edge/face). Improved vertex normal shading. True local transformations (IE; selecting 3 faces and extruding each along their respective normals). Improved symmetry (deleting half the mesh is a real hassle, and prevents you from flipping it on or off. It's all or nothing).
    And other stuff I can't think of at the moment.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    I agree with some of those. But what is wrong/missing with the edge loop selection?
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with some of those. But what is wrong/missing with the edge loop selection?
    As the simplest example, go to the base cube primitive, and try selecting an edge loop. It won't do anything. In Modo, and I think Maya if I recall correctly, it'll loop around one of the faces. There are a lot of fringe situations where it will just fail to detect a loop.
  • lorenzo_di_pietro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lorenzo_di_pietro polycounter lvl 6
    Grimwolf said:

Stock pie menu setup. Bevel vertex. Contextual tools/hotkeys. Improved edge loop selection. Inset/Extrude segments. Selection type hotkeys (vert/edge/face). Improved vertex normal shading. True local transformations (IE; selecting 3 faces and extruding each along their respective normals). Improved symmetry (deleting half the mesh is a real hassle, and prevents you from flipping it on or off. It's all or nothing).
    I think I can help you with some of these issues:
    bevel vertex: select the vertex > ctrl+shift+b
    true local transformation: select the faces > alt+e > region vertex normals
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Grimwolf said:
    Not sure if I understand all of your issues correctly.
    - bevel vertex: As lorenzo wrote and the modifier can be set to vertex as well. Or is there is problem with the result you are getting?
    - Contextual hotkey + Selection type: Ctrl-Tab in Edit mode
    - "true" local transformation (what does that mean actually?): From your description I think inset (0 thickness, x depth) will produce the result you are looking for, slightly different from Alt+E

Grimwolf said:
    As the simplest example, go to the base cube primitive, and try selecting an edge loop. It won't do anything. In Modo, and I think Maya if I recall correctly, it'll loop around one of the faces. There are a lot of fringe situations where it will just fail to detect a loop.
    A base cube primitive doesn't have any edge loops, nothing to select.
    I cannot remember any situation in which Blender failed to select an edge loop, do you have another example? 
    Maybe "Select Border Loop" will help you, at least in case of that cube.
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    Grimwolf said:
    Selection type hotkeys (vert/edge/face).
    I'm using this, added to the 3D View -> Mesh category in the Input window of user preferences.
    In edit mode I press 1, 2 or 3 to switch the selection type:

You add the same for the edge and face selection types, with numbers 2 and 3 obviously.

I'm not sure if any other commands already use these keys by default (if there were, I must've turned them off), you should search at the top of that window by "Key-Binding" to find out, so there's no conflicts.
    If you don't know how to create a new key-binding you can see here (for another operator, but the process is the same):
    http://blender.stackexchange.com/a/148/29992
  • MmAaXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Grimwolf
    ah okey, it was just a rant...
    For most of what you wrote I guess you don't know Blender very well.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    RN said:
    Grimwolf said:
    Selection type hotkeys (vert/edge/face).
    I'm using this, added to the 3D View -> Mesh category in the Input window of user preferences.
    In edit mode I press 1, 2 or 3 to switch the selection type:

You add the same for the edge and face selection types, with numbers 2 and 3 obviously.

I'm not sure if any other commands already use these keys by default (if there were, I must've turned them off), you should search at the top of that window by "Key-Binding" to find out, so there's no conflicts.
    If you don't know how to create a new key-binding you can see here (for another operator, but the process is the same):
    http://blender.stackexchange.com/a/148/29992
    This is my exact setup too, however I have a major problem with this which is that I cannot get it to work correctly in the UV Editor.

I managed to hotkey vertex/edge/face, but it goes out the window as soon as you use UV Sync and I have no idea how to fix it. The console doesn't even show anything happening when you switch between selection modes with UV sync enabled so god only knows what it is doing...
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    RN said:
    I'm not sure if any other commands already use these keys by default (if there were, I must've turned them off)...
    you change the layers with number keys, even in edit mode. Not sure why someone would want to do that... It's a good idea to map selection modes there, I'll try that myself.

Just realised I'm missing the possibility to select by vertex colour, something like "select similar" would be sufficient.
  • MmAaXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MmAaXx said:
    @Grimwolf
    Classy. Comments like that are the reason Blender users have such a bad reputation in discussions.
    To everyone else, thanks for the information on how to fix most of those issues.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maya doesn't select an edge loop that goes past a pole on a cube either. IMO Blender does it right and Modo does it wrong. Say I want to select the edge loop that includes this edge: 

What makes this selection:

any more correct than this one?:

Terminating edge loops at poles even when there's just one edge involved makes edge loop selection unambiguous and more reliable.
  • MmAaXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimwolf said:
    To everyone else, thanks for the information on how to fix most of those issues.
    So in the end you agree with me that you don't really know what you are talking about.
    :dizzy:
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    This is my exact setup too, however I have a major problem with this which is that I cannot get it to work correctly in the UV Editor.

I managed to hotkey vertex/edge/face, but it goes out the window as soon as you use UV Sync and I have no idea how to fix it. The console doesn't even show anything happening when you switch between selection modes with UV sync enabled so god only knows what it is doing...
    For it to work in UV Sync mode I added that same key binding (mesh.select_mode, like in that image I posted) to the Image -> UV Editor input category. So that's the synced mode.

I tried to set up the same for non-synced UV editing, but then if you make both bindings with the same key combination it will only use one of them.
    It will work fine if you choose different key combinations.

For the non-synced UV mode you need to use those enumeration values, you add one binding for each of 'VERTEX', 'EDGE', 'FACE' and 'ISLAND' (with the single quotes).

Prime8 said:
    you change the layers with number keys, even in edit mode. Not sure why someone would want to do that... It's a good idea to map selection modes there, I'll try that myself.
    Oh yeah that's right. I think the only reason why these selection type hotkeys are working is because, in edit mode, those hotkeys take precedence over the layer switching hotkeys. So outside of edit mode the layer switching is used.

About selecting by vertex colours, I can't find anything built-in. There's the scripted way:
    - http://blender.stackexchange.com/a/2166/29992
    - https://gist.github.com/tamask/2590850
    You can then make these into an addon that can be bindable to a hotkey or appears as a menu item in the interface, but if you need help doing that let me know.
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    RN said:
    About selecting by vertex colours, I can't find anything built-in. There's the scripted way:
    - http://blender.stackexchange.com/a/2166/29992
    - https://gist.github.com/tamask/2590850
    You can then make these into an addon that can be bindable to a hotkey or appears as a menu item in the interface, but if you need help doing that let me know.
    Thank you! I know that one, but didn't make use of it yet.
    My thinking was that this is a function worth implementing permanently. Sound so simple to do ;)

Don't know if it is common knowledge, I just figured out that it is possible to bake normal maps from normal maps in BI. That could come in handy e.g. baking from decals.

Grimwolf said:
    Classy. Comments like that are the reason Blender users have such a bad reputation in discussions.
    Oh I didn't even know that I have any reputation at all :smiley:
    But good to hear that you could have been helped.

• SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10

Maya doesn't select an edge loop that goes past a pole on a cube either. IMO Blender does it right and Modo does it wrong. Say I want to select the edge loop that includes this edge: 

What makes this selection:

any more correct than this one?:

Terminating edge loops at poles even when there's just one edge involved makes edge loop
    selection unambiguous and more reliable.
    They are all doing it wrong.

:D

The standard Vertex, Edge and Face selection is quite slow, even if you add shortcuts to them, I'm using flat-D (0rAngE) method, that let you switch through them without being in Edit Mode.

User Preferences | Input | 3D View | 3D View (Global)

EDIT:
    If someone (who?) was wondering why these strings were not working, that's something I've discovered just now (after spending some days trying to find the origin of a Blender hard crash I had if you disable some Add-ons). To make it work you need the "Wazou_Pie_Menus.py" file you'll find inside the 0rAngE's 2.78 folder, otherwise you'll recall that CLASS_OT_XXX which is a custom class, and Blender won't know what to do with it, hence the crashes.

• Defunct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Defunct polycounter lvl 10
    hotkeys! I feel like the default q key is left unassigned on purpose.  I'm kinda curious what do you guys map your q key to?
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Q is currently occupied by the HardOps pie menu for me right now
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    Defunct said:
    hotkeys! I feel like the default q key is left unassigned on purpose.  I'm kinda curious what do you guys map your q key to?
    q - merge at center
    shift q - merge at last
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I leave it unmapped by default and if I'm planning to click something a lot (like Mark Seam or Merge at Center) I right click the action in the spacebar menu or the toolbox and add Q as the shortcut for it.
  • Kip McSkipster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kip McSkipster polycounter lvl 13
    Anyone have a pointer to either a tool or addon that simply stacks identical UV islands? I know about Remove Doubles UV - that requires the extra step of having to move an island closely on top of another one. I'm looking for functionality ideally as simple/straightforward as this script for Maya:

• SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    Grimwolf said:
    MmAaXx said:
    @Grimwolf

the problem isnt so much that you did not know how to do things, but the fact that you stated "blender isnt good for gamedev because it lacks x y z" while clearly the "facts" were not true

a better aproach would have been to inform yourself on the subject before posting

also all blender users i encountered on polycount seem rather calm and open to discussion without all the fanboy attitude you would encounter somewhere else, because most of them are artists using a tool, not some kind of cultists and fanatics defending some kind of software

• Kip McSkipster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I also presently have Q mapped to HardOps, but I'm in the process of overhauling my hotkeys/pies with the pie menu editor which I just got (and looks awesome btw).
  • Yadoob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yadoob polycounter lvl 7
    @Kip  : In that particular case (both isand have the same orientation and scale), a simple snap with vertex is enough :

But I would also to love if there's some add-ons that do it with rotation or to match an island slighty deformed.

Also a super impressive demoréel of animation nodes : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCghhlMOwRg
  • Defunct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Defunct polycounter lvl 10
    I leave it unmapped by default and if I'm planning to click something a lot (like Mark Seam or Merge at Center) I right click the action in the spacebar menu or the toolbox and add Q as the shortcut for it.
    Ah, good idea. I might start doing that now. Maybe I could try and figure out how to make a pie menu that sets Q to things that I use a lot.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimwolf said:
    MmAaXx said:
    @Grimwolf

the problem isnt so much that you did not know how to do things, but the fact that you stated "blender isnt good for gamedev because it lacks x y z" while clearly the "facts" were not true

a better aproach would have been to inform yourself on the subject before posting

also all blender users i encountered on polycount seem rather calm and open to discussion without all the fanboy attitude you would encounter somewhere else, because most of them are artists using a tool, not some kind of cultists and fanatics defending some kind of software

I said there were other things I would have preferred from the update. He asked me for specifics, and I listed them. That is literally all that happened.
    You're both trying to create an issue where there is none, and that's the problem here that I was commenting on.
  • Kip McSkipster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Yadoob, that's on the right track. Am I correct that vertex snap only works by a) selecting a vert b) selecting linked and c) dragging the selected island to the corresponding vert on another island? And am I correct that that technique would only work one island at a time? The script I showed above can actually stack multiple islands (i.e. more than two, but I demoed with just two) by just selecting all their UVs at once then clicking the button. 
  • Yadoob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yadoob polycounter lvl 7
    Hm ok, for that I don't have the "one button" solution, what I usualy do is :
    Shift+S cursor to selected on the island I want to snap to, 
    Shift+S selectod to cursor (offset) on one other,
    then Shift+R on each of the others (to repeat last in history). 

I guess the Shift+R on each islands can be automatized by Python without too much trouble... I will look into that
  • Kip McSkipster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh that works quite well Yadoob, thanks! Going to look into automating it myself for multiple islands at once (although I'm a python moron ;)  )

edit: trying to snap multiple additional islands to cursor (after snapping cursor to first island) - when I do this additional islands snap to cursor, but all with original offset (i.e. still separated as opposed having the origin of each snap to the cursor)
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    Grimwolf said:
    Grimwolf said:
    MmAaXx said:
    @Grimwolf

I said there were other things I would have preferred from the update. He asked me for specifics, and I listed them. That is literally all that happened.
    You're both trying to create an issue where there is none, and that's the problem here that I was commenting on.
    then maybe i misunderstood you
    but its not really a secret that blender is more directed towards movies than games, and that the developer, trying to improve gamedev functions, having a hard time
    at least thats how it was some time ago

but overall it is getting better and better and iam pretty happy with the toolset
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh that works quite well Yadoob, thanks! Going to look into automating it myself for multiple islands at once (although I'm a python moron ;)  )

edit: trying to snap multiple additional islands to cursor (after snapping cursor to first island) - when I do this additional islands snap to cursor, but all with original offset (i.e. still separated as opposed having the origin of each snap to the cursor)
    You need to select the islands one at a time. I'm not immediately sure how best to do that in a script.

I also wonder if there's a way to easily match the rotation of some islands.
  • MmAaXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Grimwolf
    sure, ok, I see your point, sorry if I was rude. :)
    peace!
  • xrg
  • Kip McSkipster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xrg - thanks, I also found that addon. Have you managed to install/activate it? I'm on Windows ver 2.78, and when I check the box beside the addon I get a multi-line error message including
    ImportError: No module named 'networkx' . Is there a 'correct' way to install this on Windows? seems I need to install something called PIP for Blender but instructions seem to be for Linux?
  • xrg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xrg polycounter lvl 10
    I'm a Linux user, so not entirely sure how you go about installing PIP in Windows. I used the older zip on the first page, and it didn't need pip/networkx. It's probably not as feature-full but it does what you need as far as I can tell.

• Kip McSkipster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahhh, that did the trick, thanks xrg!
  • cgBrad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cgBrad polycounter lvl 5
    xrg said:
    I'm a Linux user, so not entirely sure how you go about installing PIP in Windows. I used the older zip on the first page, and it didn't need pip/networkx. It's probably not as feature-full but it does what you need as far as I can tell.

You can install pip on Windows by installing Python.

Go to the Python download section and download either the 3.x or 2.x. Whichever you need depends on the package but most packages are cross compatible so I would try 3.x first.

During install there will be an option to add Python and it's scripts folder to your PATH, make sure to enable that. Otherwise all you have to do is add it to your PATH after.

For example for Python 2.x you would add your C:\Python27 and C:\Python27\Scripts folders to your path. I'm sure it's similar for 3.x.

• Yadoob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yadoob polycounter lvl 7
    @xrg Nice ! It solve all our issues thank you.
  • xrg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xrg polycounter lvl 10
    cgBrad said:

You can install pip on Windows by installing Python.

Go to the Python download section and download either the 3.x or 2.x. Whichever you need depends on the package but most packages are cross compatible so I would try 3.x first.

During install there will be an option to add Python and it's scripts folder to your PATH, make sure to enable that. Otherwise all you have to do is add it to your PATH after.

For example for Python 2.x you would add your C:\Python27 and C:\Python27\Scripts folders to your path. I'm sure it's similar for 3.x.

Does it work the same for installing pip for Blender's bundled Python? Specifically, the instructions here. This is a link to the current github page for the add-on.
  • cgBrad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cgBrad polycounter lvl 5
    @xrg

Yes and no. Looking at it blender uses Python 3.5 so there is not a reason you couldn't make it work but it might be difficult. So I'd recommend against it. I'm not willing to destroy my local Python install to figure it out.

Anyways here's all you really have to do:

•     Right click this link and download. Or go to https://pip.pypa.io/en/stable/installing/ and under the heading Installing with get-pip.py, download the file that is linked there.
    • Navigate to your blender python directory, mine is C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.78\python\bin
    • Paste the file you just downloaded there, requires admin permission.
    • Now using Windows cmd  (as Admin) or similar navigate to C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.78\python\bin and execute : python get-pip.py
    • You now have a new folder at C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.78\python\Scripts that includes pip
    • If you don't have any other version of python installed, you can just add  C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.78\python\bin and C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.78\python\Scripts to your PATH.
    • If you have another version of Python installed or don't want to add it to your path, you can just navigate (as admin) to C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.78\python\Scripts and execute the next command.
    • (as admin) pip install networkx

Hope that helps.

• SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    If someone is interested, I've updated this post, with the correct procedure to use the strings, huge time saver, but they can mess your Blender if you don't know which file they refer to :s
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    Grimwolf said:
    Have you try my addon? It really fixes all of thoose issues and a lot more! simple to use and i will add a lot of more features. Trust me i know exactly what you mean that's why i made this addon.

you can get it here: https://gumroad.com/l/smart_select 

Newest video, Really tired when recording this so a lot of slurring sorry about that ;) Just be prepared for some world class Swenglish.  

Old video: 

• jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    Here is my latest addon for the uv editor.

https://gumroad.com/l/align_uv_rotation
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Thought this was neat enough to post here, saw this incredibly clever UV packing addon by pildanovak on BlenderArtists
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMX9DZz5KsA
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    That's cool, but shouldn't it be more like tetris? since rotating UV islands isn't an arbitrary thing
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    http://armory3d.org/

If I understand what this is about, it's a plugin for making real-time content within Blender, and then publishing that as an "app" for web or desktop (like a game, presentation etc.). So you'd be using Blender like a scene editor.
    It's still under development.