Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Demo Reel

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Serith polycounter lvl 9
Howdy y'all. Figured I'd share my demo reel on Polycount.
5 and a half years and well over 10,000 of my life summarized in 1 video.
David Ballard 2016 Demo Reel 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzJsW3iIkxo

Replies

• jose.fuentes
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    Hi David,

It isn't clear what you do... Do you model, texture, animate?  All of the above?  Perhaps make that clear right in the beginning of your reel.  Also 4min is kind of long for a reel, id say make the cuts a lot faster, you can prob trim this reel down to less than a minute.  Quality over quantity 
  • Serith
    Offline / Send Message
    Serith polycounter lvl 9
    Hi Jose,
    I do 3D modeling/environment art, world building/set dressing and level design.
    I listed the positions for each project in the video description though I might add some notes in the video as well now. Agreed on the 4 mins is kind of long, though wanted to encapsulate the bulk of my work on the 4 games. Thanks for the feedback!
  • Eric Chadwick
    You can embed youtube here. Just past the link directly, and make sure to strip the S from HTTPS.
  • czepta
    Offline / Send Message
    czepta polycounter lvl 3
    Cool work. Maybe upload it in HD. 480p doesn't really let you see it clearly.
  • Dan Powell
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan Powell polycounter lvl 5
    It's awesome that you worked on The Last of Us and Uncharted! Those games had great artwork, I'd be really interested to see still breakdowns on your portfolio for the assets you made - would be great to learn from, and good to show off your talent. :) 

To be honest unless having your work displayed in video format adds something to it, I probably wouldn't bother? It's kinda hard to tell what work is yours from just gameplay footage or generic screenshots of levels. 

Deffo get it uploaded in HD too =D

• Serith
    Offline / Send Message
    Serith polycounter lvl 9
    @Eric Chadwick Thanks, updated!

@czepta Thanks, will sort out if I can upload at a higher resolution.

@Dan Powell Thank you! It's getting increasingly more difficult to breakdown scenes like that. With AAA games now requiring 100's to 1000's of people to create them, it's an incredibly collaborative endeavor. I added some annotations to the video to help convey what my overall contributions were per project and scene. The video format to me is a celebration of all the hard work my friends, coworkers and I put in over several years, and gives the viewer a frame of reference to my contributions on the projects. After all, this is ~4 minutes out of dozens to hundreds of hours of gameplay. And thanks, sorting out HD.