Home Featured Artwork

Alley Rat - Cyberpunk Character

Gav
quad damage
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Gav quad damage
Hey all.  I've been posting this guy a lot on the WAYWO thread, as well as bugging people on Twitter, and just wanted to give all of my work in progress shots a place to live together on Polycount.

The idea behind the character was to make a sketchy looking, non-bulky (my usual go to for personal projects), npc that could fit in a cyberpunk setting.  

The Final:

Messing with bodyshapes, you can see how I stray to something bulky or chubbed up...and just wanted to do something different...

And eventually landed on this, which is way more humanoid with some elongated proportions.

First pass at clothing though MD

Roughing out details of his cybernetics and overall look in a  concept sculpt

More detailing and trying different garments - eventually went thinner and not bulky because it gave a more interesting silhouette and, again, didn't want to do my usual thing...

Color Tests using Polypaint.

Cleaning up the concept to be more manageable in ZBrush -

Getting the model ready for actual sculpting work...generally a cleaner mesh to work with and starting to sculpt in features for real:

Ready for retopo :

Low poly goodness.

Bakes from Knald

Testing materials in Marmoset

Testing fur renders in Marmoset:

Trying different lighting schemes and eventually ended up with the top image - wanting to convey the mood of a character who hide sin the shadows without obscuring too many details / hiding things:

Replies