Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Škoda 105 S

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
gfelton polycounter lvl 6
Whew, don't have nearly as much free time as I did over the summer which sucks because I haven't gotten so much time to work on this thing. Here's what I've got so far:

Almost done with the HP, There are a few interior details I want to add before going on to the LP. I intend to make this game-ready along with the interior so I'm going to be baking and then moving on to substance. Critiques of my HP are always welcome, thanks for looking! :)

Replies

• gfelton
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the HP, now cleaning up the LP:

90k is still too much tho :(
  • gfelton
    Offline / Send Message
    Got her down to 26k, found I had missed some turbosmooth modifiers :/
  • polaroid29
    Offline / Send Message
    polaroid29 polycounter lvl 6
    Hey man! Fun looking car. The images you've posted have some really weird proportions going on though..it seems almost as if the camera perspective is really extreme. Were you modeling based on blueprints, measurements, or eyeballing? Edge loops and stuff like nice, but the forms seem very curvy in an odd way. Again, might just be camera distortion though. 

Image result for koda 105 S
  • gfelton
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man! Fun looking car. The images you've posted have some really weird proportions going on though..it seems almost as if the camera perspective is really extreme. Were you modeling based on blueprints, measurements, or eyeballing? Edge loops and stuff like nice, but the forms seem very curvy in an odd way. Again, might just be camera distortion though.
    It's definitely distortion because a big thing for me this project was blocking out major forms to make sure my proportions weren't poop when I went in to do some real modelling. Probably should've taken screenshots in perspective as opposed to orthographic heh.
  • gfelton
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished unwrapping her today, and also managed to bring the polycount down to 7k. I'm not sure why the viewport was showing 90k last night because now that I really think about it, that makes no sense at all. Anyways, here are some screengrabs:

Made sure to take pics in perspective this time, though these quick screenshots are from shitty angles.
  • purplekami
    Offline / Send Message
    purplekami polycounter lvl 2
    Can't wait to see some baking magic! :)
  • gfelton
    Offline / Send Message
    Got to do some baking in substance today. Sadly I was very disappointed with the quality of my bakes, as there are a lot of seams and the front doors didn't even bake normals (?). Gonna have to go back and change some LP aspects so it's not as shit. Here are some pics, if you see shitty normals, point them out:

It's kind of funny, I knew some spots that would have normal issues but none of those had problems, instead, areas that I thought would come out as complete shit looked absolutely fine. Baking is such a strange thing to me, I really need to work on it.
  • gfelton
    Offline / Send Message
    Solved the door issue then another came up:

No clue what is going on here
  • gfelton
    Offline / Send Message
    Not exactly sure what the cause is. Sorry if anyone knows 100% what's going on, but I really don't. Here is the LP (grey) imposed on the HP (green). It *should* work in theory, yet It don't.

And there are my normals. I'm conscious of the space I've wasted, yet the times I went back to see if I could fill it up, I was just unable to with all of those weird parts I unwrapped.
  • Kroma!
    Offline / Send Message
    Kroma! polycounter lvl 9
    Did you triangulate the low poly before baking? Looks like it could be a long, thin triangle that's causing a problem. See if you really need the close edges on that part.
  • gfelton
    Offline / Send Message
    Kroma! said:
    Did you triangulate the low poly before baking? Looks like it could be a long, thin triangle that's causing a problem. See if you really need the close edges on that part.
    Nope, did not do any triangulation. Is that what I'm supposed to be doing? I've done a little bit of baking in substance and it hasn't been that particular about the polygonal composition of my mesh. I'd love to be wrong on this though.
  • Kroma!
    Offline / Send Message
    Kroma! polycounter lvl 9
    Well before you bake you should always triangulate the mesh. That means even if you bake in another program, you should triangulate before you export. The reason is because different programs may decide to triangulate the mesh in different ways, and a tangent space normal map is meant for one specific mesh. So trying to use your Substance bake in, say UE4, you could get errors because the triangulation could be different.

A non-destructive way of doing this in Max is to use a Turn to Poly modifier with Limit Polygon Size set to 3. Then you can use Turn Edges in your Editable Poly to change the triangle direction if you want.
  • gfelton
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update: Might have found a fix for the error on the door. If it doesn't work today, will make a post in tech talk.

Edit: This fix worked on a few pieces but that problem area on the door is still going strong. Will try one last ditch effort and if that doesn't work it's on to tech talk.
  • gfelton
    Offline / Send Message
    Wooooooooo finally solved that problem after 3 hours of fiddling with different parameters in both Max and Painter:

FINALLY on to the texturing phase :))))))
  • Kroma!
    Offline / Send Message
    Kroma! polycounter lvl 9
    Also post what your fix was, in case anybody else has the same problem :smile:
  • gfelton
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshuaG said:
    Can you show us your normals, and some closer shots of the front bumper and car in general?
    I sure can.
    Kroma! said:
    Also post what your fix was, in case anybody else has the same problem :smile:
    Made sure to update the tech talk thread and the thread on allego's forums with the fix. :)