Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Materials Mentorship WIP Thread for September

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
josh_lynch interpolator

Over the month of September I am running a "Materials Mentorship" program through Patreon. The main goal of the mentorship is for the artist to create one or two materials over the course of a month with tools currently used in AAA production pipelines. The materials will be created referencing real life sources, as well, the focus will be on material definition, overall readability balance, and presentation.

These three artist will be posting their WIP images and discussing their process in this thread and I am really excited to see their progress take place over the coming weeks.

More about these artists....

Brandon Brown - www.brandonbrown3d.com

Tristan Meere - www.artstation.com/artist/advisablerobin

Ryan Dziurgot - www.artstation.com/artist/ryandziurgot 

Shout out to @Swizzle for the WIP thread idea.

Replies

• Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Dude, this looks awesome. I'm super excited to see what these guys come up with!
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    This should be fun to watch!
  • Daf57
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daf57 polycounter lvl 9
    What a great idea - subbed! :)
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome idea Josh, and good luck to the artists! 
  • AdvisableRobin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AdvisableRobin polycounter lvl 10
    Hey everyone! Super excited to dive into this and get my ass kicked. Thanks to Josh for taking his weekends to educate us!

So for this week I wanted to create some aged concrete, cracks, pebbles, erosion and the works. I ended up with a graph that can transform pretty liberally to create a few kinds of concrete with ideally the controls to change all that. My approach initially was to just dive right into it, start with some basic shapes to give it some wobbly feel, get some simple cracking, stripping lines and the noisy surface. I originally wanted to create an interior stone effect for exposed bits of the concrete to see the mixture of concrete and rock, I wanted to use an FXmap to do the masking but I wasn't really able to get it looking right so I pulled it out and instead used a similar fxmap to create a pocketing and rubble effect depending on how the final heightmap is flipped.

The cracks were a combination of some really simple warps on cells and using a method that Wes show in one of his twitch stream videos, where you use an edge detect on a splatter node that has some really polygonal shapes.

I think the outcome is close to what I originally imagined and saw from my reference gathering, but my biggest issue is that in a lot of my Substance work, and especially this one, a certain amount of it is almost accidental and I think that is both really cool and maybe not the best approach to take in a production environment.

I am hoping for the coming weeks to post more WIP shots and get these graphs up on Substance Share.

My graph and images are in spoilers so I don't make this a wall of images

Anyhoo, here are the current versions rendered out in toolbag

• 3DKyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKyle interpolator
    Good luck to all 3 artists, looking forward to seeing how it all comes along. Josh is a fantastic mentor! 
  • Ohios_007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ohios_007 vertex

Hey Guys! I'm super stoked to be apart of Josh's mentorship!
    I'm currently focusing on creating some type of Spanish floor tile made of terracotta or ceramic, with hand painted decals or &nbsp;with&nbsp;<br>a relief sculpture. Please if&nbsp;you have any crits send them my way! I'll be posting lots of updates!<br>I'll be using Zbrush & Substance Painter for the materials. Most renders will be from Marmoset!

• Grusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grusti polycounter lvl 10
    Good luck to artist! it would be awesome to seeing how you guys progressing) insta sub
  • AlexN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexN polycounter lvl 2
    Keeping an eye on this thread!
  • weareape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weareape polycounter lvl 7
    Hey All!

For this mentorship, I am creating the cobblestone from Acorn Street. My goal is to stay in Substance Designer and stay as true as I can to the reference. I am spending a large amount of time right now nailing down the initial shape of the stones. I had a lot of trial and error figuring out the best way for me to go about creating and tiling the initial shape but finally feel like I'm getting somewhere and can start pulling away from each rock. The rest of the week is finishing up overall shape and an initial rough pass.

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    nice idea, hope you all learn loads :) Im enjoying learning substance myself.
  • AdvisableRobin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So in talking with Josh over the weekend I isolated a few things that I wanted to fix with my graph. Mainly the cracks and surface damage not being a living part of the material. It was just placed randomly and masked randomly. I don't wanna noodle this material too much but I haven't done any ref gather for my next material, so that'll be coming in the future.

@weareape I'm liking the shapes you've got! I think maybe a bit more variation in size and height could help it, just a subtle amount though!

@Ohios_007 It might just be me, but the middle lines look uniformly thicker then the rest. It looks like its just a problem when it tiles. I'm liking the edging and surfacing, it both got the sharp and blobby that these tiles have, really nice!

The way I got the damage to line up better with the cracks was actually just using a Directional Warp on the damage mask using the large crack's Distance node. This mostly achieved the effect I was looking for. 

This is a simple setup for the cracks that Josh showed me. After this you can run the final version of the cracks through a few light directional warps and a slope blur to give it the jaggy cracked edges. You can find a similar effect that Wes show in a video for a stream he did on Allegorithmic's youtube page. Here. Around the 1:12:00 mark.

• Ohios_007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ohios_007 vertex
    Aye everyone! 

New update! Decided to go back and re sculpt everything yesterday. I was using a flat mesh to sculpt but I didn't have enough control over the edges and grout. So I sculpted one tile and turned it into a Insertmesh brush, dragged it out a bunch of times onto a flat surface, and then did additional sculpting to make the tiles look different. I still need to work on the grout and clean up the tiles but I'll be moving onto color this weekend! 

Let me know if you have any crits!

@AdvisableRobin Thanks for the comments man. Yeah it was a tiling issue I've been trying to work on the line variation of the grout. Your materials are turning out great btw. Everything has a nice balance Its not too over powering with detail. Really good man.

@weareape The shapes are looking good! I would diffidently like to see some size variation and have them a bit more scattered around. 

• Jack M.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Looking good Ohios_007. If I may make a workflow suggestion though. You might try using a nanomesh workflow instead of drawing out each tile manually. 

You could draw out the nanomesh object and then you can assign random rotations, offsets, and slight variations in scale. After you make one you can easily go back and make another variation in like 2 minutes. 

Really digging this thread overall. Subbed to see what you guys come up with.
  • Ohios_007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ohios_007 vertex
    @Jack M. thanks for the crit man! I agree that would be a better workflow to use. I didn't even think about it.
    i'll look into it and see what I can do. 
  • Stosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stosh polycounter lvl 4
    It's exciting to see these mentorship programs popping up. I hope Josh hosts another material one in the future. Buying, downloading, and learning from his tutorials off of gumroad, I was bummed I couldn't partake in this one. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for sure, especially on Ryan's workflow (CCS rep!).
  • Nicorepe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nicorepe polycounter lvl 4
    Really nice idea and materials are looking great, looking forward to learning from these fantastic works!
  • AdvisableRobin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So for the next material I wanna try some gravel, for starters I just wanna get a basic perfect gravel and depending on my time I might wanna give it some blending with larger and smaller bits of gravel.

I'll probably create a subgraph to generate a bunch of small gravel shapes, what I'm most unsure about is how I'll get the color variation across each piece of gravel. I might just need a few different masks, I don't wanna just run the heightmap into a gradient map because then the albedo will change if the height does.

These are my main ref images

• Ohios_007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ohios_007 vertex
    Hey Everyone!

Some progress from earlier today. I went ahead and followed up with @Jack M. crits and used nanomesh to create the tiles. I'm currently creating a rough version that would be used for blending so I'm not too worried about tiling issues. The color is still in early development but Josh and I talked about how to push it further. 

I'm going to create some color variety for each tile and then more color variety in each. To help push that I'm going to use a grunge mask to create harsher lines for the dirt and color difference. Currently the color looks a bit soft so I need to make some edges a bit harder. Once that's done i'll move onto the stencil, grout, and pebbles!

• weareape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some Updates! I spent a reallly long time reworking the cobblestones. Still not 100% happy with the overall shapes but it's getting there. Started adding some noise to break it up and a base pass on the dirt.

• Nicorepe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats some real nice progression guys, really diggin both materials.
  • another caveman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another caveman greentooth
    Looking very good! Still learning the exact same myself, I cant wait to see your results
  • weareape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small middle of the week update. Have been focusing on the dirt/mortar. Got some rock and twig bits in there. Trying to work in some dead leafy stuff. Need to get back to breaking up the cobblestone more though with some noise varation and stuff though.

• AdvisableRobin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So here is a quick WIP shot of the gravel. This turned out to be a pretty difficult problem to solve and doesn't have a perfect solution for it. Blending has been a major pain and required a lot of noodling but I'm getting close to something that would be acceptable given the actual size the texture would be scaled to in a scene.

I wanna get the albedo blended better, you can find some blending errors if you look closely, also some of the spots with pure black AO don't have any detail in them so I need to fill that up.

I also wanna try and get more 3Dness to this texture, which will require a lot more noodling on the blending of the stones.

@weareape
    The dirt and twigs look is coming through really nice. I think as you move into doing surfacing detail on the rocks you should consider redoing some of the surface chips, some of them have really harsh edges to them and don't really fit with the smooth shapes of the rocks.

I wouldn't go too crazy with detail though, perhaps create a few masks for the rocks and use that to create several types of rocks. You could use a gradient map probably to create different masks depending on the grayscale value of each stone. Just some very-subjective input. Its coming alone nicely though!

@Ohios_007 I'm really liking the colors so far. One thing that could either be painted in or a part of the sculpt is dirt buildup, especially around the sunken tiles, you'd imagine that as people walked over these for years that some of that dirt would get kicked around.

• Nicorepe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The depth is looking really natural really nice!
  • Ohios_007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ohios_007 vertex
    Hey everyone!

Some updates on the material. I've been working on color variance for the tiles, dirt, and the stencil. I still need more dirt build up along the edges and I'm not sure about the stencil. I tried a bunch of different designs so it's still a work in progress. The final design will tie in all the tiles so it's going to be much bigger. After I nail those 3 things I'll be moving on to grout and pebbles. 

@weareape @AdvisableRobin Materials are looking great! @weareape the detail on your bigger stones look a bit too blurry but overall your material is turning out really well. @AdvisableRobin the color seems too blue but everything else is looking awesome. 

• josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    @weareape  - Liking the rocks and the hint of twigs in the recesses of the stones! Looking forward to what you do with the stone surface treatment. Roughness and color will be a blast on that one!

@AdvisableRobin - Wow that has come a long way since I last saw it! I see the errors you are talking about in the color. We can look at that on Sunday and see whats up!

@Ohios_007 - Loving the depth variety in the stone work here and seeing some stencil work goes a long way! Looking forward to discussing this on Sunday and seeing more color updates :-)

• AdvisableRobin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting super super close, I'm honestly not sure what else I could be doing to get it to look more natural, perhaps more variation in the size of the rocks. I am fairly happy with the height blending on these, mostly tweaking the AO now. But I might revisit the Albedo before I'm totally happy, if nothing else to setup some simple controls so I can look at a bunch of different variations quicker.

I'm happy with how my stone generator turned out, I'll have to remember how I did it for future use.

@Ohios_007  One thing that is throwing me off is this little lip, not sure what is causing it but it immediately catches my eye. Other then that this is starting to look pretty rad man!

Feedback is always welcome of course.

• AdvisableRobin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Had loads of fun creating this Substance, probably one of the more unique challenges I've had and really pushed me to think a bit differently about how I approach a material. Josh was a beast with helping me think it through and giving some killer feedback.

The next material I want to try to tackle is actually a Bradford Smith material that he created for the weekly challenge. http://bradfolio.com/art/substance/substance-red-rock-cliff-face/ is the reference for this week. This is probably some of the craziest substance work I've seen and have absolutely no clue how he did it, but I figure if I take a crack at it I might learn a thing or two.

• josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    Great to see critique from artist to artist here. Things are really shaping up on the tail end of this month and I am excited to see how everything wraps up!

@AdvisableRobin - That color variety is what I am talkin about!
  • Nicorepe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really love the depth you archived with the rocks, feels so natural. Great job!
  • AdvisableRobin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not a whole lot, this is kicking my ass pretty hard and I'm loving it. Mostly just using tile random with paraboloid and using a ton of directional warps. Something that has been successful is warping twice for each intensity input, with both nodes pointing in inverse directions. Brad talked a little bit about that using transform2D, but I think its working fine this way.

Its still a bit blobby and doesn't have a ton of sense to the structure yet.
  • Ohios_007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ohios_007 vertex
    Hey guys new update!

I started to push the color, dirt, and a tiny bit for the grout. I'm still working on the stencil. I may move towards a engraved look but we'll see how this last week pans out. Other than that I need to work on grout, pebbles, and final presentation. Let me know if you have any crits! 

@AdvisableRobin thanks for the comments! that weird little lift in the tile was from a height problem but it's fixed! Your gravel came out awesome btw. Really nice work. 

• Poinball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poinball polycounter lvl 6
    Really nice so far ! Give us The marmoset Viewer that we can have a better look at it
  • AdvisableRobin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Definitely over thinking and over complicating this material. I'm starting to get more rocky shapes but its still super rough and looks a bit sculpted stylized. Which isn't exactly what I was aiming for. Still progress is progress.

@Ohios_007 Something about how the grout is bugging me. I'd maybe try brightening it up and if you can give the tiles less height, looking at the ref they should be pretty close to level with the grout and the grout almost ramps up to edges. The grout also could use some more information in the normal, its reading really flat and smooth right now and the color variation doesn't seem to have any presence within any of the other maps, height or normal, so it is losing that essence believably where each map informs each other. Just some thoughts! Its looking great though, I'm super digging the color and the aging on the tiles.

• 3DKyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKyle interpolator
    @Ohios_007 Coming along really nicely, I think your grout might need a little more definition as it currently seems really flat or doesn't seem to have much of a normal/depth to it. 
    Also with your presentation it would be great to see just the model and texture itself without the HDRI sky in the background. 
    Looking forward to seeing what else you do with it. 

• xChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 10
    Its coming a long :)
  • Ohios_007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ohios_007 vertex
    Hey guys so for some reason Substance Painter hasn't been outputting an AO map so I finally converted my normal with Quixel. Just with the AO is helping push the overall feel. I haven't had a chance to address the crits or work on the tiles since my last update so i'll be sure to work on the grout and Roughness map!

@Poinball The Marmoset viewer doesn't support Height maps so it looks pretty poopy without it. I'll look into bringing this into Sketchfab for you. 

@AdvisableRobin I agree on the grout! just haven't made time to work on it. I plan on really pushing it this last week. For the height I'm not really trying to match my ref 100% I want to break it up a bit more but i'll look into bringing it down a bit. 

@3DKyle yeah the grout diffidently needs some work and thanks for the presentation crits! I'll look more into this for the final. 

• weareape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    where i'm at as of now. hope to tweak a lot over this final weekend now that i feel like i'm blocked in. it's been great seeing everyones progress over this.

• Ohios_007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ohios_007 vertex
    Hey everyone! so I planned on finishing up this material today but I ran into an issue with my normal map. For some reason SP is exporting it out bright purple. Has anyone ran into this issue before? 
  • weareape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey @Ohios_007 if you try exporting as a different configuration do you still get the same result? not sure what you are exporting out as but my first guess is it would be related to that and if the output for the normal was changed accidentally.
  • Ohios_007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ohios_007 vertex
    Hey guys final presentation is here! for some reason my original nm from zbrush disappeared from my substance painter project which was giving me the purple output. Anyway here's the final! Thanks again for all the crits and thanks for the mentorship Josh! 
  • Four_Mile_Fox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just joined the forum and have really enjoyed going through this thread! Lots of great renders and information. I've been using other programs to create maps but looks like I should spend more time with Zbrush.
    I hope there is more to come from you guys!

Cheers!

• Ohios_007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ohios_007 vertex
    thanks @Four_Mile_Fox ! Zbrush is great! it's worth a look into. 
  • Jack M.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    @Ohios_007 - Your material has come a long ways and I've been trying to figure out why it's just looking off to me and I think I finally figured out the problem I have with it.

Right now the tiles have a very high roughness. Like it looks really rough to me. While at the same time the sculpt is very clean. I think the tiles need to have more small porous detail and tiny chips in order to sell the really rough look it currently has.

Or if you want to shoot more for the concepts you're working off of you should probably clean up the tiles, and make them more polished with variation in the roughness map.

I also think you need to work on your final presentation some more as well. Give some definitive light direction, ao, maybe a slight amount of sharpen, etc. Also try and get angles that catch some reflections/roughness on the material. 
  • Ohios_007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ohios_007 vertex
    @JackM thanks for the crits man! I agree with the presentation. I should of picked a better angle to show off the roughness/relfection. I have thought about making more porous and more chips out of the edges. I'm working on another project at the moment but I'll see what I can do! I'll diffidently fix the presentation. 
  • weareape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just wanted to throw one last update in this thread. thanks again to Josh for the opportunity and to the others in the mentorship and everyone else for their feedback. critiques are still welcome. i will continue working on this one for a bit.

• Jack M.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    @weareape - The dispacement and shapes in your cobblestone is great imo.

I think your texture could improve with the addition of 2 things.

The first being that the soil should probably be quite a bit darker. I think having that contrast in the texture would make it more interesting and come off as less flat.

The second thing is I think adding some light touches of moss or just some small foliage such as clovers in the cracks would help add some really nice color variation in the texture.

• Nicorepe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I totally agree with Jack with the tones, I think putting the soil darker will help the materials read a lot better and maybe adding some small details to it will nail it. Great job!
  • weareape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jack M. @Nicorepe thanks for the feedback. i'll make adjustments to the soil. i agree it does kind of blend together, and I can do better to break it up. I will definitely add some foliage in there too. I think that'll help sell it a lot.