Home Quixel Megascans

Quixel releases Megascans!

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Synaesthesia polycounter

Hey guys!
Today is finally here! We've launched Megascans! :D Plus Megascans Studio and Megascans Bridge for Windows and OSX, a standalone toolset for customizing, blending and exporting scans. From all of us at Quixel, a HUGE thank you for your support. As you guys know, we've got deep roots here at Polycount - this is a fantastic community that's helped push our toolset to the next level. That said, we present you with...

MEGASCANS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnSekpFSLnU

Megascans is a massive online library of standardized and physically based surface, vegetation and 3D scans. The first beta wave unlocks a substantial part of the Megascans natural library (as recently showcased in Disney’s The Jungle Book), with more waves coming during the course of the beta, including organic and hard-surface scans.
For more on the new tools, jump over to: https://megascans.se/megascans-is-released

Please let us know what you think! We're thrilled to have the opportunity to share these tools with you.

Replies

• final_fight
    Offline / Send Message
    final_fight polycounter lvl 9
    It's not April yet... or is it?
  • Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    This is no joke!
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
  • 3DCGIMODELS
    Watched the video, pretty slick.

So when you download a scan such as mud that is a certain point value, but you can mix this with your other downloads to make as many different tile styles you wish?

• jul_lef
    Offline / Send Message
    jul_lef polycounter lvl 9
    when I open one of the free sample ( wood log) all the uv's are split ( obj and fbx in maya)
    Is it the case on the regular files with the plan ? 
    Is there a better place to ask that question ?
  • Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    That's odd, Jul - perhaps some Maya import setting is causing this? I'll check with the team.

3DCGIMODELS: Yep, pretty much! An active Megascans subscription is currently required to use the Megascans Studio for mixing together scans, but you can basically mix anything together!
  • repete
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Jesus that blending snow texture, in fact the blending options in general.

Well done guys !!!
  • 3DCGIMODELS
    Can you pay month to month ( as needed) or is a year contract required (like adobe) and the software only works then if you have an active subscription or can you still mix what youve downloaded without a sub?
  • alekseypindrus
    Offline / Send Message
    alekseypindrus polycounter lvl 8
    First of all, good job, guys! Finally it's out. And it looks good.

But you can improve it even more. Here's some problems/questions I've encountered:

1. No clear comparison between subcription plans.

• Does Hobby/Freelancer/Indie provide 32 bit displacement?

I can find info only for Freelancer.

• Does Hobby/Freelancer/Indie provide EXR support or just JPG?

• Difference between Hobby/Freelancer: amount of points + 2K vs. 4K or something else missed?

2. Re-downloads & context/workflow/microsurface.

Not the best implementation right now. Or just simply lack of clear explanation.

Let's say I'm freelancer. I do things for Unity/UE4 and sometimes for offline rendering.
    Right now it looks like I need to download any given texture 4 times to have a complete pack:
    2 times for realtime [metalness/roughness, specular/gloss], 2 times for offline.

Maybe it will be better to pack everything in groups just by realtime/offline, include all options in archive and later give an option to choose your workflow via Megascans Bridge.

3. Asset naming on website.

It's hard to name them. Let's say I want to tell my friend to use some texture. Right now the only option is to give him a link.
    Please add something to description. For example «Asset #B24547» so it will be easier to refer to.

4. Would be nice to have an option to get Megascans Studio without subscription.

Just leave it as is for subscribers and add it as another part to Quixel Suite or as standalone tool.
    Give me an option to buy it without using your assets.

Also, would be nice to see some tutorials about using Studio with your own scans.
    At least some technical details, what software expects for input.
  • jul_lef
    Offline / Send Message
    Same issue in 3dsmax the uv's are split when importing the Obj or fbx.
    But the overall megascan looks quiet sweet 
    Any estimate time between each wave of new scan materials ?
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    It's byooooooootiful! I am just drooling
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Awesome! It'd be great if any Quixel staff could make tutorials. I still find it amazing that Substance provides such top-tier tuts in their youtube channel, and part of the reason for which I use it nowadays is because they made such a big effort to make it easy to learn through free videos. 
  • Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Thank you for the feedback, Aleksey. I've forwarded it to the team! :)

Justo - check these out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNLOBO1hrpo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2fT654ajZg

There's more coming, I assure you!
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    i tried the free sample... and im wondering how should it be possible to render the sample image... 
    the image does have undercuts... and even with an vector dispmap it wont be possible to get that image... 
    i have no clue what to think about that...
  • Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Those assets look incredible. But I feel like there should be more points per dollar. If I want to make an environment I can't even download four 8 point assets before I need to wait another month to continue the work. 

Very nice work getting this out there though! Like I said the scans look awesome. 
  • Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Thanks for the feedback, Brygelsmack - I've passed it on to the team! :)

@Oglu - Which free sample did you try? The surfaces are rendered with the SUITE (3DO) and the 3D assets are rendered in Marmoset Toolbag. What did you render in?
  • JZak
    Offline / Send Message
    JZak polycounter lvl 12
    Yes Quixel team! Thank you very much.  I'm checking out the samples now. 
  • nbac
    Offline / Send Message
    nbac polycounter lvl 9
    do i have to subscribe for a public beta? why do you call it beta and i dont understand the pricing - i pay per month for what do i need points than? does the abo not give me full access to the database?
    and do you use the same assets in ue4 as for vray? just decimated or what? or is there a lowpoly version of all assets?
    edt: okay got it now - 50 points/per month 29 $ this is pricy :/

• Sunray
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    congratulations on the release guys.
  • Maximum-Dev
    Hi Synaesthesia,

I was wondering where to get 2x2 m surfaces and up. The surfaces I have downloaded from the website so far are 1x1 m.

Thanks!

Edit: This is where I come from: https://megascans.se/faq#Are all surface scans tileable?
    Edit2: By looking at this video seems like by increasing the Ground Size in Megascans Studio it's supposed to do what's mentioned in the link above but it doesn't do anything on my end other than simply repeating the same texture over. Picture
    Still didn't report this as a bug because I'm unsure about it.
  • Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    nbac said:
    do i have to subscribe for a public beta? why do you call it beta and i dont understand the pricing - i pay per month for what do i need points than? does the abo not give me full access to the database?
    They don't want you to pay once and then just rip their entire library, and then cancel your subscription. Which is totally what would happen without points. It's a completely fair system but could use some tweaking imo.
  • lospri
    Offline / Send Message
    lospri polycounter lvl 9
    Hi, 
    I pre-ordered the Quixel Suite 1.0 , Since the beginning you tell that we will have access to megascan when it will be released. And now you ask to pay at least 19$/month for it ? 
  • Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    In fairness, I joined Quixel way after the release of SUITE 1. I can't really comment on what was said back then, but I can't imagine that we ever offered Megascans as a complete service for buying Quixel SUITE. The logistics behind this would be impossible - frankly, we wouldn't be Quixel at that point. We can't pay the bills as a company and offer a free texturing service.

We do plan to offer something special for existing SUITE customers in the next couple of days, though. With that and the free upgrade to SUITE 2 that all SUITE customers received, we hope you'll enjoy what we're producing! :)
  • Sheers

I started using Quixel more this year and absolutely love it.  I'll be checking this out on the weekend! 
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    the first free sample on the page... clay soil...
  • nbac
    Offline / Send Message
    nbac polycounter lvl 9
    if i spent 30 $ + a month for a material library (pretty cool and pretty advanced no question) i want to spent more than just 50 points for a few surfaces and assets. for ~60 i get to whole adobe suite. and what are those packs can i buy them without any subscription. i really love what you are doing with megascans but its super untransparent what i get for what pricing. how big is the library at this very moment (any numbres?)
    (almost read the FAQ now)
    and i request a nice birch scan! thanks ;D
  • Kel-Shaded
    Offline / Send Message
    Kel-Shaded polycounter lvl 6
    This is beautiful and way more than I was expecting
  • Seehr
    Offline / Send Message
    Seehr polycounter lvl 9
    This is going to change the industry entirely.
  • Nerdicon3000
    Offline / Send Message
    Nerdicon3000 polycounter lvl 8
    lospri, He is right. Megascans was said to be a part of the Quixel Suite, but it was a very different concept back then I think. I just got the hobby subscription and so far I really like it. I don't know if we need many more tutorials as the ease of use of this is crazy. Well done Quixel!
  • loggie24
    Offline / Send Message
    loggie24 polycounter lvl 3
    Mad props guys, while i'm sad that this has the potential to stagnate creative freedom to some extent it looks amazing!
  • Xendance
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    The library is extremely awkward to browse. Is there some page I'm missing or do they just have the useless endlessly scrolling page?
  • Spencer_Holmes
    Offline / Send Message
    Spencer_Holmes polycounter lvl 6
    How does the points system work? I am a little confused
  • Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    How does the points system work? I am a little confused
    Same here. 

For instance, if I download a surface but leave everything out except the Albedo, and then go back a day later to download all maps, is that going to be another point or is it just going to count as one download? 
  • defragger
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    This is gold !!
    Have been waiting for this for ages but now its finally here.

Hopefully the ground textures are not 2 x 2 m and everything bigger is done by tiling! That would be hilarious.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    I was beginning to think that this day would never come! Congrats on the release. The demo examples look fantastic. And what a huge relief that MS Studio is standalone, looks as straightforward as possible and, most importantly, is not clumsily attached to PS.

Also, good to see Quixel being prepared and putting  some effort into a few demo/tut vids. I'm sure you lost a lot of potential customers to Allegorithmic simply by not being anywhere even close on training material.

Look forward to seeing where this goes. Great job.
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    had someone luck and was able to recreate the shader ball from the sample..?

• Steppenwolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    loggie24 said:
    Mad props guys, while i'm sad that this has the potential to stagnate creative freedom to some extent it looks amazing!
    It doesn't have to really. It's like with all the cool new toys that we get. You can either use it as is with default settings or whatever then it will be easily recognized and everything will have kinda a samey look or you can use it as a starting point or tool for something new. Things are heading in a direction of a composite between procedural and photogrammetry. Probably a sensitive topic since it's competition but there a a whole bunch of cool things you can do with Megascans in Substance and the Megascans Studio looks like it could evolve into Quixels own solution in that direction further down the line.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    @oglu: I am very interested in that too actually, especially since I want to leverage displacement mapping further in my work going forward.

Which program are you attempting to recreate it with at the moment ? 
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    im trying it to render it in redshift... have tried it only once...
    i will do more testing tomorrow...
  • Eternal Black
    Offline / Send Message
    Eternal Black polycounter lvl 4
    lospri said:
    Hi, 
    I pre-ordered the Quixel Suite 1.0 , Since the beginning you tell that we will have access to megascan when it will be released. And now you ask to pay at least 19$/month for it ? 
    I actually recall the same. Unfortunately I didn't made a screenshot back then. I do realise that "as a service" there is no way of a one-time-purchase but something like an alltime available basepack of things that are currently done to those buyers that own Suite 1.0 (the old DDO and NDO) and Suite 2.0 would at least be fair as I assume that you are going to extend the library over time. Addons could be made a separate purchase. I'm surely not a fan on "rent your software", especially as a hobbyist artist. It would just add up real quick and grow expensive for me. For someone in the industry that uses those commercially it's probably worth it and not that much money but for me it is and I this would grow a very expensive hobby real fast (regarding that I would need to rent other software too like Adobe etc. if I would go the way with "renting software").
    I would suggest something like a buy-and-it's-yours-forever option based on the currently available scans (thinking in packs of content) that can be extended by addon-packs and a subscription model alongside. Still would leave people like lospri and me unsatisfied as we expected (by advertisement) something else for our money (if due to a communication/marketing error or whatever is really not important to me, it simply leaves an overall bad feeling).
    If this remains a subscription model I probably got to switch over to Allegorithmic Substances as it's about as expensive and still offers me (that's a personal preference) more freedom and performs way better on my system (even though the learning curve appears much steeper).
  • MegaWoje
    Which one did you try? The surfaces are rendered with the Suite and the 3d assets are rendered in Marmoset. What did you render in?
  • Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    This is what I got out of Quixel 3DO from loading the base maps:

• oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    thanks Synaesthesia... i will report back tomorrow...
  • Darkmaster
    Offline / Send Message
    Darkmaster polycounter lvl 11
    Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  • jul_lef
    Offline / Send Message
    Some of the questions I see can be answered by reading the FAQ.
    For the points system since I subscribe you have the option to buy more points at any time and you can download again the same asset with a limitation based on your subscription ( i think it s 5 times as Freelance)

• purehilarity
    Offline / Send Message
    purehilarity polycounter lvl 6
    Subscribed and bridge crashes constantly, can't even import one material. Needs some work! Materials are awesome though.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Launched the "Studio" app, got prompted with login credentials thus entered my usual Quixel login, yet got a message telling me that I do not have a subscription. Is this normal ? (Of course I did not subscribe to anything, but aren't Suite users granted access for the sake of beta testing and bug reporting ?)

Overall it would be very helpful if the main page at https://megascans.se/ featured at least a few paragraphs clearly explaining what the products are and what they do (Studio and Bridge), how the license works, and so on. At the moment it requires too much hunting around in order to get a sense of what the offering is about. For instance I can navigate all the way to a zip of a downloadable asset (Soil_Clay tile) without ever being prompted to get Bridge or Studio, and without ever being explained why I need them. This is similar to the issue of Quixel Colors not having clear links or documentation. This needs to be clarified, probably by testing the reaction of new customers to the system. For instance you could ask beta testers to record themselves while browsing around the website/store.

This somehow ties with my previous comment on asset presentation (here). Currently it feels like the product is being marketed similarly to consumer retail tech (selling an "idea" to win over customers) whereas your target audience is actually tech-oriented professionals willing to invest in a highly  specialized tool for high-end asset delivery.

Here is an example:
    "Hundreds of specimens curated into a set of 60+ Dry grassland assets". What does that mean ? Is a rock a "specimen" ? How do hundreds of specimen fit into 60+ assets ? And why "60+" rather than an exact number ?

I hope this doesn't come across as harsh - it's just that there is something about the overall Quixel marketing and delivery that I am having a hard time putting my finger on. You guys put a ton of effort into the tech and are a pleasure to talk to (I've had the chance to meet up in person with various members of the team over the years and it's always been fantastic) but it is a bit of a shame to see that marketing is somehow "muddying" the product (no pun intended !).

As mentioned in my previous comment, the ten24 store page is a fantastic example of clarity:
    http://www.3dscanstore.com/

I hope this makes sense.
  • Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    No worries, Pior! I really appreciate the honest feedback. The only way we'll improve the service is to listen to you guys, so please, don't hold back - we're in beta specifically to improve it and make it even better!
  • repete
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    @ Jonathan

You guys are really going to have to create a complete A to B workflow guide and show the end results in the engine (just like what Tor Frick did for QS2). I really am finding it hard to imagine creating environment textures like this without the use of masking or even something like the patch tool in PS would solve this. The quality of the textures are imo superior to what I have seen to date so it would be a real shame if one has no true control over repetition/tiling (other than the current tool set) and having to bring PS into the workflow kind of defeats the purpose.    

• Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    There's a lot of customization coming to Studio in the updates we have planned - and we will specifically address concerns like that!
This discussion has been closed.