Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

SkyIslands [WIP Thread]

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
anMori polycounter lvl 7
Hi there!

here´s a scene I´m currently working on. It´s still pretty rough but the general idea is to create an environment following the idea of floating islands, taking major influence from games such as Skyward Sword, Windwaker and Gigantic.

This is going to be a WIP thread so I try my best to post costant updates! Also feedback is highly appreciated as I´m really trying to kick myself out of my comfort zone with this one to learn and ultimatly grow as much as possible 

Replies

• Jellopanda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jellopanda null
    Excellent work! Colors are really reminiscent of Wind Waker. Excited to see the final product.
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Ooohohoho I cant wait to see this. This reminds me a bit of Skylanders. If i had to critique I'd say right now things look pretty samey, but its too early, and I"m sure i'm not telling you something you dont already know. 
    Keep it up! I cant wait :D 
  • Tripl3M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tripl3M polycounter lvl 2
    Amazing work ! .. totally love it :) just imagine this in VR
  • Tomiajayi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomiajayi polycounter lvl 2
    how are you doing the rock textures? I noticed there's a sort of highlight or light patch on each sharp corner. Is this done procedural or painted by hand? thanks.
  • Sunray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    looks really good man.
  • ant1fact
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ant1fact polycounter lvl 9
    Tomiajayi said:
    how are you doing the rock textures? I noticed there's a sort of highlight or light patch on each sharp corner. Is this done procedural or painted by hand? thanks.
    Now I'm not the author but I learned a neat trick from Warren Marshall: you can use your curvature map on top of your basecolor(albedo) set to overlay mode. It will highlight the edges and make your models pop
  • anMori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anMori polycounter lvl 7
    Tomiajayi said:
    Hey @Tomiajayi !

ant1fact is right with his assumption. You just overlay a so called curvature map on top of your albedo that you can calculate with the baker of your choice or what I did just use Knald to directly grab it from the normal map which is a lot faster and so far I haven´t encountered any major downsides that could outweight the huge time saver. 

Thanks for all the kind words everyone!

• Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Neat! Really curious how you're handling the edge transitions from the grass to the rocks!
  • Zalek4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zalek4 polycounter lvl 5
    This is some grade A stuff, man. It reminds me of Grow Home a little, but this is WAY more impressive in alot of ways. 

I REALLY dig those trees.
  • anMori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anMori polycounter lvl 7
    @Gannon It´s a very simple setup at the moment. The rocks have a vertex-up shader assigned which tints the upper side of the rocks with a smooth green tone matching the grass. After this it´s just the grass carefully painted on top with the foliage tool while "place foliage on static meshes" is active. It´s far from where I want it to be but glad it already seems to work to some degree :D

@Zalek4 Thanks, man. Don´t get too comfy with those trees though as they are really just place holders :´D

Here´s what I´ve been up to today:

I want to have some smooth energy beams between the islands to be able to introduce another major colour to the scene. Those are planned to be the holes on the side from which they emit from. So far I tend more to the second shape as it seems to be much more readable.
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
    looking great so far Andreas, loving the shaders on those rocks btw. Good composition so far as well.
  • Needles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Needles polycounter lvl 19
    Uh oh, overwhelming nostalgia attack.

Themes playing in my head right now.

This is looking great btw.
  • anMori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anMori polycounter lvl 7
    @Needles
    that´s a great reference! Mind sharing what game this is? :)

I´ve been fiddeling around with the idea of "energy" emiters a bit more and decided to set them up as a modular set to keep things flexibel and efficient.

HPs are done, LP/bake/texture tomorrow, the shader on thursday and aim to have something to show on friday/early saturday. Time is a bit tight on workdays unfortunatly but I´ll try my best to keep constant updates coming.

• Montreseur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Montreseur polycounter lvl 6
    anMori said:
    @Needles

I´ve been fiddeling around with the idea of "energy" emiters a bit more and decided to set them up as a modular set to keep things flexibel and efficient.

HPs are done, LP/bake/texture tomorrow, the shader on thursday and aim to have something to show on friday/early saturday. Time is a bit tight on workdays unfortunatly but I´ll try my best to keep constant updates coming.

Excellent work! Have you played around with making the light emitting boulders vertical columns and have those floating rocks orbiting at varying heights of the light column?
  • Needles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Needles polycounter lvl 19
    anMori said:
    @Needles

Not at all, its Zeal from chrono trigger. :D
    A great game with the sort of art direction you seem to be pushing for, you should also play it!  Great source of inspiration and a jrpg classic.
  • anMori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anMori polycounter lvl 7
    Hi there!
    With a slight delay but here it goes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXCD4-kqJQ4&feature=youtu.be

Setting up and playing around with those energy emitters was my main objective this week. Other than that I worked on the transition between the sky and ocean plane and invested some time into post processing and optimisation.

Next step will be to get rid of those foliage placeholders. :)
  • anMori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anMori polycounter lvl 7
    Creating the first iteration of trunks

I´m going to be out of town for the next couple of days so there will be a slight delay in updates. 

• Nars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nars polycounter lvl 6
    Man this is awesome work, I really want to see your progress, love the rocks so far :pleased:
    Question tho: did you sculpted each big island ? or you just "coated" the ground with rocks ?
    Cheers!
  • anMori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anMori polycounter lvl 7
    Hi,

had some things to take care of in the past two weeks so there´s not much to show unfortunatly but here´s what I got done:

>Created a couple more tree/root sculpts.
    >Created a 2*1 tiling bark texture.
    >Worked on the overall colour. Took out a bit of the blue and darkened the green a bit.
    >Added shadows to the floating islands to make them feel more grounded in the world.
    >Added a function to the rock material that gives the floating rocks a hovering movement.

• anMori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anMori polycounter lvl 7
    hey, been a while. Past months have been more of on an try n´error/learning new things experience so I didn´t felt too comfortable posting something yet. Here´s where the scene is at right now:

Still heavily WIP but I´m starting to feel comfortable with where the scene is going, hoping to be able to wrap it up soon. Topics to tackle in the next week:

-polishing asset placements and colour values
    -Addition of some form of structures
    -Possible rework of the central mountain peak
    -Tweaking shaders

Getting closer to the finish line, I would be really thankful to hear some more feedback considering colour and composition if things are on the right track. :) 
  • anMori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anMori polycounter lvl 7
    Decided to go for some ruins and created the first tilable texture with a quick base colour done in painter.

• anMori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anMori polycounter lvl 7
    Another 3:

Trims:

Generic floor tiles:

Flat cement to later vertex paint over some spots to break up repetition

• Kaine123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
    Any tips on how you got those trees to look so luscious? 
  • allmighty_thunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allmighty_thunder polycounter lvl 13
    I am interested to see how the ruins turn out, i think that is the right way to go since my eye was looking for some focal point besides the main mountain.

you could also add something in the background in the sky like a silhouetted large bird or something.
  • mcgillchris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mcgillchris polycounter lvl 4
    THis is gorgeous work. Love your color choices. 
  • anMori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anMori polycounter lvl 7
    @Kaine123
    Hey, the setup mesh wise is pretty straight forward with a couple of planes put together and a custom normal orientation to make it shade spherical. Maybe it´s the material? I´ll prepare a little wrapup on how it works today evening. Maybe this will be of use for you :)

@allmighty_thunder
    Interesting idea, I´ll give it a shot later when the scene is completly assembled.

@mcgillchris
    Thanks! Glad to hear it works. :smiley:
  • anMori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anMori polycounter lvl 7
    Hey, here´s the promised quick breakdown of the foliage shader. 

The whole thing is pretty slim with the key idea to only use a completly white base texture with a mask that resembles foliage shapes.

Colour and Global Overlay:
    Base colour with a global tint map multiplied in wordspace to break up bigger areas with some value differences (erosion flows on grass etc.).  

Fresnel:
    Use the fresnel node to mask a second colour on top that dynamically reacts to the view angle.

Subsurface:
    Control over the third colour within the subsurface range that gives me control on what colour and strength the shadows should have.

Emissive:
    Further control to crush harsh shadows.

Wind:
    Basic vertex position offset that I might later replace with a custom and more sophisticated node network if I see the need for it.

Normal orientation:
    completly flat normal value mulitplied with a "TwoSidedSign" to eliminate weird shading behaviour that occur when a lot of planes are intersecting.

Surface Parameters:
    Basic values for Metalness/Roughness/Specular that I haven´t given much attention yet.

I exposed most values to be able to quickly iterate the shading behaviour.

Having everything on sliders with only a masked white base texture, colour variation can be achieved in seconds:

Base Colour: Basic Colour of the whole material
    Fresnel: Radial overlay Colour.
    Subsurface Colour: Shadow and overall blend colour.

There are a couple of problems still present that I will look into soon:
    -Look for ways to achieve a smoother shading. (Lower contrast on the shadows in the leafs)
    -See if I can get it to work with a baked environment. (fully dynamic for now)
    -Improve blend network to have more control over the colour.

• Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    looks nice, brings to mind breath of the wild but this is tbh nicer.
  • anMori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anMori polycounter lvl 7
    @Chimp
    Thanks! That´s really encouraging to hear you mentioning breath of the wild and Zelda in general as it is one of the main inspirations, hoping to reach the level of atmosphere they pour ot of every pixel.

Another one:
    Broken version of the bricks.

• ErikNilsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErikNilsson polycounter
    Looks awesome man!

• Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    Really cool stuff, and thanks for sharing the breakdown on the trees, super clever. 
  • oxygencube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxygencube polycounter lvl 8
    Looking great! Thanks for posting the material breakdown. 
  • anMori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anMori polycounter lvl 7
    Created a shader capable of blending up to 5 texture sets using vertexpaint and heightmaps with
    sliders controlling a wide range of behaviours on the fly. (height contrast, tint, normal strength etc.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs176a-_l1o

• bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bcottage polycounter lvl 13
    anMori said:
    Created a shader capable of blending up to 5 texture sets using vertexpaint and heightmaps with
    sliders controlling a wide range of behaviours on the fly. (height contrast, tint, normal strength etc.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs176a-_l1o

awsome work! ever thought about selling this stuff on Gumroad? from what i can see there is a gap in the market for master materials
  • cupsster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster polycounter lvl 11
    anMori said:

Oh man could you post higher res screenshot of that material? :3 Me would like to replicate to test it on my side... Pic is just so small I can't figure out nodes :P Thank you!

• anMori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anMori polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks guys, sry for the lack of updates recently. Work is keeping me a bit busy but I´ll be back on schedule this weekend :)

Sure, there´s not a lot of magic behind it though honestly. The main logic is nicely displayed in the UE4 docs with some simple tweaks added by me to the whole thing on each input:

@cupsster
    Let me know if those shots work for you. :)

Speaking of gumroad: At some point maybe but I would feel uncomfortable selling just this one shader. Maybe I´ll put together a little package at some point :)