Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Realistic Natural Environment Stuff

LlamaRider
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
LlamaRider polycounter lvl 8
Hi guys!

After days of procrastinating, playing Pokemon GO and doing other unproductive stuff I finally decided to start working on some cool things... and I started with a rock.

I have no idea what to do next with this scene, probably I'll add some foliage and maybe a building of some sort :v

And here's a material I made for this rock and possibly for other assets if anyone is interested. Pretty basic stuff

I'll try to make those rocks to blend with other objects but as far as I see it can be pretty difficult in UE4 so it's not something I'll focus on very much. 

What do you think so far?

Replies

• kohg
    Offline / Send Message
    kohg polycounter lvl 8
    They're looking pretty realistic. I'd add a stream along the rocks and some foliage and go for a nice forest/planes stream.
  • LlamaRider
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, a little bit of a progress. Got more rocks and a seamless texture.

For now I think it's enough of them, time to add some foliage! 

A heather branch, still high poly. Waiting for bake untill I have the whole plane filled up.

And here's the overall setup for now. Not very sure about those leaf plants, maybe I'll throw them away and add something more interesting.

@kohg Oh! I almost forgot, I made a prototype mesh for the stream, still no water in it, but at least it's working with the unreal's splines (but doesn't like my tessellation)  :) 

• Sheers
    I have no idea what to do next with this scene, probably I'll add some foliage and maybe a building of some sort :v

Get a sketchbook and make a plan.  Without a plan, your work will start to take a hit.  You'll stray from what you wanted to achieve when you first started, which lots of people still struggle with.  Do a sketch of your stream, almost like storyboards.  Make a blockout of this scene and get some proxy lighting in. Place cameras where you want us to focus, and take hi-res shots, and if you can, make a blog to document yourself.  That way we can help you reach your goal much better!
  • Mehran Khan
    Offline / Send Message
    Mehran Khan polycounter lvl 9
    nice rocks! as for taking it further,  try having different types of rocks in there too, right now the texture is good but it gets boring because it's the same texture all over everything. try different rock shapes as , rock faces can be sexy as hell you know. 
    and yes do a small concept or gather refs and work off for them.
  • LlamaRider
    Offline / Send Message
    Oy! 
    Got some new stuff done today, not much but it'll be literally everywhere. I wanted to finish the grass but it's pretty late already... gotta make it tomorrow!

But first I made a reference board for the scene. It's not 100% complete but it covers the natural environment and a tower I'd like to put there. 

And here are the heather plants.

I have a feeling that they could be a bit more reflective, so probably I'll add few nodes to the foliage shader. 

I hope to get more stuff finished tomorrow, what do you think so far :) ?

• pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    You've got some nice plants there Yo. 
    Do you have a plan for this? or are these just exercises in creating pieces of  scene? 
  • Sebvhe
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebvhe greentooth
    Subscribing to this thread, really want to see where this is going.
    I'd agree with what has been said earlier, what is your plan for this scene ?