Home General Discussion

Game Artist to Level design (Career Path Suggestion Required)

Vlp3r
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Vlp3r polycounter lvl 7

Hello

Well i started out my career as a Game tester first because i was so passionate about playing games and i thought this would be perfect , but later when my interest shifted towards Art and Design , Simultaneously with my testing job i have learned the Art pipeline and have made a portfolio and also gathered knowledge about the level design (Like Blueprints in Unreal and Creating small playable levels in Cry engine with the flow graph).

Well as I am basically from India , there are no much of companies that have level design as most of them are indie(mobile) the game designer itself handles them. There are many outsourcing art studios which contribute to AAA games though , so i had to join the art team since as i have no option and became a Game Artist.

But i understood that i'll really enjoy White boxing , scripting game-play elements and set dressing all art assets into a level more than Modeling/Baking/Texturing.

So i would like to know How can a Game Artist become a level designer? if so apart from his art portfolio there should be some playable levels in the portfolio right? I have seen most of the level designers come from mods, creating maps for unreal tourny and csgo! i would like to know if the Art experience count for the level design to land a job? 

Replies

• Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    First off, having a background that includes some game testing as well as art asset creation is pretty good. Both of those skill sets can be help in regards to designing levels. As you mention, having some playable levels in your portfolio would in fact be a really key aspect of being able to apply for jobs as a level designer.

If you can show that you can come up with really cool visual designs for things like buildings, interesting terrain and other aspects of a level, and if you can show that you can quickly build whitebox versions of all of that stuff, and add fun gameplay to the level, you should be in pretty good shape. You still might have difficulties getting work in India, but hopefully you can look for work outside of India as well, if needed. Also, I don't see why more AAA type studios can't come into existence in India, so maybe your job prospects will become better over time.

Good luck!
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Vlp3r said:

I have seen most of the level designers come from mods, creating maps for unreal tourny and csgo! 

I think you've already answered your own question.
  • Vlp3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vlp3r polycounter lvl 7
    First off, having a background that includes some game testing as well as art asset creation is pretty good. Both of those skill sets can be help in regards to designing levels. As you mention, having some playable levels in your portfolio would in fact be a really key aspect of being able to apply for jobs as a level designer.

If you can show that you can come up with really cool visual designs for things like buildings, interesting terrain and other aspects of a level, and if you can show that you can quickly build whitebox versions of all of that stuff, and add fun gameplay to the level, you should be in pretty good shape. You still might have difficulties getting work in India, but hopefully you can look for work outside of India as well, if needed. Also, I don't see why more AAA type studios can't come into existence in India, so maybe your job prospects will become better over time.

Good luck!

Thanks Kevin! And yeah there is difficulty in getting work in India , but hopefully i'll start working on my portfolio include some Playable levels also learn some C# so that i won't limit myself with the flow graphs and the blueprints.
  • Vlp3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vlp3r polycounter lvl 7
    Ultimately, I'd recommend that you start learning Unity 5 and C# game programming. Learn how to make games all by yourself, small games.
    Thank you so much!
    I'll look forward to learn Unity and C# and try making some small games so i can understand the entire pipeline , but are there any specific games to focus on for level design regarding modding that companies look forward to while taking the portfolio for consideration? because i see most of the people target only csgo/skyrim for the mods.
  • Vlp3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vlp3r polycounter lvl 7
    Joost said:
    Vlp3r said:

I have seen most of the level designers come from mods, creating maps for unreal tourny and csgo! 

I think you've already answered your own question.
    Haha yeah! But my actual question is in any level design job the candidate must is required to have prior experience in video-game level design, production, or other relevant experience. So the game art experience is considered under this?