Home General Discussion

What are your daily exercises?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
gfelton polycounter lvl 6
I've got a good 2 years to be able to hone my craft and I really want to perfect it before I'm off to uni so that I'll have a strong foundation to build a portfolio on top of. I do my best to regularly model a myriad of different things but it feels like I'm only scratching the surface insofar as how I may be applying myself. I try to model at least one thing every day (aside from working out forms as a warm-up) yet it still doesn't feel as though I'm not doing all that I can. What sorts of daily exercises can I incorporate into my workflow that will ultimately strengthen my skills as an artist as I progress them? Also, what kinds of daily exercises do you guys use that have helped your skills progress? I just want to make absolutely sure that when I'm practicing and working that I'm making the most absolute efficient and best use of my time/effort to better myself. Thanks guys :D

Replies

• pigart
    Offline / Send Message
    pigart polycounter lvl 6
    Instead of making one model every day you should do actual finished game models where you will learn something new in the process. Pick concepts of props where you feel like 1-2 areas will be a challenge to you and do that. Spend atleast a couple days on each asset. Rinse and repeat. This way in 2 years you will have some good portfolio pieces and might not even need to go to uni anymore.

I've never really heard of people do "warm-ups" except for maybe some quick sculpts.

A good idea would be to do an hour of drawing though. Knowing how to draw is always a good thing.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and 10km running, EVERY SINGLE DAY!!!

(I also draw a bit)
  • gfelton
    Offline / Send Message
    pigart said:
    Instead of making one model every day you should do actual finished game models where you will learn something new in the process. Pick concepts of props where you feel like 1-2 areas will be a challenge to you and do that. Spend atleast a couple days on each asset. Rinse and repeat. This way in 2 years you will have some good portfolio pieces and might not even need to go to uni anymore.

I've never really heard of people do "warm-ups" except for maybe some quick sculpts.
    Good advice, I'll work this into my routine. As for warming up, it gets me used to the hot keys on some random mesh so that I don't end up making weird mistakes on an actual project. Thank you though. JedTheKrampus said:
    100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and 10km running, EVERY SINGLE DAY!!!

(I also draw a bit)
    10km? Now that's just uncalled for!
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Well, almost daily, I do ballroom dancing for my exercise....

Oh, nvm, I do 1-2 proj at a time, each usually run 1-2 months long. Sometimes I decide to do busts or try new techniques I learn.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    30mins to an hour on a stationary cycle in the morning and night and I do a bit of weight lifting and squats here and there, but for the cycling  I  removed the handlebars and mounted a plank of wood to it so I could have a keyboard and mouse on it, so I can just surf the web and browse forums or whatever while I peddle, like I am doing now lol.
  • gfelton
    Offline / Send Message
    30mins to an hour on a stationary cycle in the morning and night and I do a bit of weight lifting and squats here and there, but for the cycling  I  removed the handlebars and mounted a plank of wood to it so I could have a keyboard and mouse on it, so I can just surf the web and browse forums or whatever while I peddle, like I am doing now lol.
    That's awesome, I did something similar with a treadmill of mine so that I could fit my laptop and mouse on top of it. Not the easiest to use while running but it was fun. I'll have to try doing something similar with my stationary bike.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    gfelton said:
    That's awesome, I did something similar with a treadmill of mine so that I could fit my laptop and mouse on top of it. Not the easiest to use while running but it was fun. I'll have to try doing something similar with my stationary bike.
    it works fantastically, excuse the mess its an old pic of it when I first set it up lol 
    works out steady enough I can play FPS if I wish with a little spray and pray but doubt I could line work lol