Home Technical Talk

Tips for making the most of your low poly 3D models

null
Offline / Send Message
Gina null
This detailed infographic and the free complementary whitepaper provide insights for 3D artists selling assets online.

Reading this infographic, you will learn about the liquidity of low poly models, model categories that are facing high demand or high supply, the best categories per rendered effort and more.You can access the infographic and download the pdf version of the whitepaper here:
 https://www.cgtrader.com/blog/low-poly-3d-models-vr-and-you-how-to-ride-the-wave-in-2016

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I checked this out, it's worth a read if you're selling any assets online.

The data is only from CGTrader of course, but should be applicable to the other marketplaces you might use.

Good info, thanks for the post!
  • CodeferBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CodeferBlue polycounter lvl 7
    Really helpful.
  • Mehran Khan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mehran Khan polycounter lvl 9
    niiiice, thanks
  • Macrow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macrow polycounter lvl 8
    Predictions about VR products.  I've never heard so much hype for so many years about something with so little to show for it.  It's been about five years now, and still no sign of anything more than demos, one-note VR games, and promises.

I think VR might find a place in entertainment someday.  I just think it'd look more like a goggles-less Holodeck than VR goggles that pretty much nobody but enthusiasts wear.

Anyways, still interesting data, particularly for asset markets.  I have rather noticed how well low-poly models fare, compared to other content.  Seems like mobile game developers esp. appreciate that niche, though there seems to be growing increase among illustrators and designers, too.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Consumers have had VR for 4 months. There hasn't even been a holiday cycle yet. Remember how weak the launch game line ups were for the PS4/Xbox One? Give it a year and a half and we will know how well VR adoption and games are doing.
  • Monkzoren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Monkzoren polycounter lvl 8
    Macrow said:
    Predictions about VR products.  I've never heard so much hype for so many years about something with so little to show for it.  It's been about five years now, and still no sign of anything more than demos, one-note VR games, and promises.

I think VR might find a place in entertainment someday.  I just think it'd look more like a goggles-less Holodeck than VR goggles that pretty much nobody but enthusiasts wear.

Anyways, still interesting data, particularly for asset markets.  I have rather noticed how well low-poly models fare, compared to other content.  Seems like mobile game developers esp. appreciate that niche, though there seems to be growing increase among illustrators and designers, too.
    I bet you don't have tried the VIVE yet. The Lab, Dota 2 - VR mode, rec room, Raw Data and many more shows that VR Have found a place in entertainment today, and the place is just growing. 
  • beccatherose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beccatherose ngon master
    Monkzoren said:
    Macrow said:

I bet you don't have tried the VIVE yet. The Lab, Dota 2 - VR mode, rec room, Raw Data and many more shows that VR Have found a place in entertainment today, and the place is just growing. 
    I agree. I think that folks expected a VERY sudden boom with the arrival of consumer VR, but I think it's going to take a little more time to accelerate than people imagined. After briefly playing with the Vive, Oculus, and HoloLens, I can definitely see this seeping more and more into mainstream media. Honestly, I'm starting to get the idea that AR is going to be more widespread than VR. The HoloLens feels pretty early along, but is super neat. The applications for it go way beyond entertainment, too.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Thanks for the chart. Great info.
  • SpaceRogue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpaceRogue polycounter lvl 3
    Impressive, great chart ty for sharing. 
  • LuisCherubini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LuisCherubini interpolator
    Thanks for sharing!
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Why are we excited over AR or VR ?? Does it make that much difference to us artists ? I mean, we still gonna be making props, characters, buildings in 3d in about the same way, of about the same quality, no ??  Yes, we can walk around and look around it, but that's just almost like running around in UE4 or stuff.

AR or VR doesn't suddenly make games great or fun, or any easier to make. How would the launch of AR/VR be any difference from the launch of Unity/UE4 ?

Am I missing something here ??
  • Gina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gina null
    Hi guys, thanks for all the comments and appreciation. We are thinking of developing another infographic - any ideas or suggestions on what angles we could take a look at?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    AR and VR break normal maps, billboards, and a lot of particle effects. Normal maps are still great for adding small details and variation, like texture to a painted wall. But you don't want to use normal maps as a substitute for actual depth, because it will look flat, fake, and wrong. 

AR experiences are less often about a first person gaming experience, and instead, more of a 3d board game experience. This isn't true of all AR content, but seems to be the trend and easier. VR experiences are often more traditional first person experiences, the difference in experiences will create differences in content. Some rules will cross apply, but in AR you aren't going to be building massive environments, more likely environments you can sit in front of. 

Players in VR games will be able to get much closer to and inspect assets and textures. It seems likely that AAA games will want super high quality, and super optimized assets. 
  • Sk0LLiE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sk0LLiE polycounter
    Interesting stuff. Cheers!
  • Macrow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macrow polycounter lvl 8
    Monkzoren said:
    • Those examples have shown that VR (VR goggles) have found a niche in entertainment today.  Not examples of VR becoming more mainstream.

VR goggles has enthusiasts.  Many flock to what allows them to use their investment.  Many game companies hop on that trend.  I think everyone's confusing a bonfire as a forest fire.

I don't say that VR goggle units haven't seen big sales, or that games aren't seeing more implementation (albeit, minor implementation).  Just that it's not becoming a new mainstream.

• I'm particularly aware of Raw Data.  It's a $40 glorified tech demo.  This will be the trend with most VR games.  In months to come, more and more people will realize that Raw Data, along with Rec Room, The Lab, etc., are the Wii Sports of VR goggles.

Right now, people are prisoners of the moment.  They take every new game as a sign of victory, and think high sales indicate stabilization of the market.  All major retailers are betting on a huge jump in VR tech sales this holidays season.

I don't expect new tech to see a "sudden boom" necessarily, but I do expect that, after about 4 years of huge hype, you'd better start getting to the meatier examples pretty soon.

Because the more folks experience glorified tech demos, the more the buzz will suffer.  Months after holidays 2016, you'll likely see a comedown that hurts the VR trend.

• I know of studios out there working in haste to boost VR gaming.  First-person RPGs.  First-person stealth games.  First-person sports games.  Scarcely a week goes by where you don't see "VR" news on UE4's blog site.

But how soon?  And will enough of them push for innovation, or just largely rush for being the next Raw Data?  If the sea of indie clones on Steam are any indication, my money's on the latter.

Most take the path of least resistance.  Few will try for meatier gaming experiences.  Most will rush for tacking on VR features to otherwise sub-par games.

• No, I've not tried the Vive.  I have tried Rift.  I get the gist.  I got it 20 years ago.  It's not a bad idea.  I see what people hope for with it.

After about 20 minutes, I stop wanting to move around so much.  just buckle down with a controller.  It's neat to show off to friends.  You'll find an excuse to use them.  It's not a mainstay way to game.  Not yet.  Not until haptic-feedback goggle-less VR arrives, I think.

They will see a similar route that the Wii and Kinect saw--a huge wave of popularity, but games that fail to reach higher than gimmicks, and gear that makes you spend more energy than desired for regular gaming.