Home General Discussion

Best way for a self-taught Blender/Maya modeler to get into the industry?

Hi all!

For the past 2 years in my own time, I've self-taught from Youtube and forums all around the internet. I feel like I'm at a point where I want 'work' to build my own experience whether that be paid or unpaid. But I'm unclear where to go or where to start.

At the start of this year I started a general ICT degree for 6 months (programming and server management ect) I hated it moved on. Now I'm at a private institution I'm 3 weeks into the course and I feel like 90% of the time I'm teaching the tutor the institution is badly organized has poor facilities and $17,000 for 6 months. All of that has led me to the decision today that I would not be completing my studies there.

So I'm stuck. I've got all my own personal experience that I feel like amount to nothing as job listings (in Australia at least) all say that I must complete some sort of studies. I understand that by completing studies it gives the employer greater background into the individual their hiring. But I feel as though there is little point for me to complete studies when I could just go freelance and prove my own abilities to an employer through a great portfolio.

So I guess I'm asking for advice on where I should go and to what I should do.

Here are some pictures of work I've completed.

Mailbox (Maya - Renderman)

Forest Scene (Blender Cycles render engine)

Snow Scene (Blender Cycles render engine)

Replies

• Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Work on an indie game. Whether you start your own project or join an existing one. I know people frown upon working for free, but as a beginner, it's a great way to get relevant production experience and create some more portfolio art as well. And of course, there's the potential of being part of a successful indie game.
  • CursiveCardinal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost said:
    Work on an indie game. Whether you start your own project or join an existing one. I know people frown upon working for free, but as a beginner, it's a great way to get relevant production experience and create some more portfolio art as well. And of course, there's the potential of being part of a successful indie game.
    Yeah, I thought about that. Would you happen to know any forums or websites that indie developers are looking for people on?

• Joost
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter

Your first step is to define what you mean by "the industry". It's an global term that means pretty much nothing ...

Do you want to  :

Create realtime game art ?
    Do digital sculpts and nothing else ?
    Create assets for pre-rendered cinematics ?

Once you pick one, study it and strive to become the absolute best at it ! I know that it sounds somewhat reductive but that's pretty much all there is to it. Luckily enough if the goal is game art the path is somewhat straightforward since you have access to hundreds of existing games that you can easily study, extract models from, and learn good asset creation practices from by looking closely at the content (meshes, textures, and so on).
  • kanga
  • CursiveCardinal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior said:

Your first step is to define what you mean by "the industry". It's an global term that means pretty much nothing ...

Do you want to  :

Create realtime game art ?
    Do digital sculpts and nothing else ?
    Create assets for pre-rendered cinematics ?

Once you pick one, study it and strive to become the absolute best at it ! I know that it sounds somewhat reductive but that's pretty much all there is to it. Luckily enough if the goal is game art the path is somewhat straightforward since you have access to hundreds of existing games that you can easily study, extract models from, and learn good asset creation practices from by looking closely at the content (meshes, textures, and so on).
    Alright, thanks for that. At the moment I've kind of an all rounder I can animate, create characters and create textures. So I guess I need to stick to one area of expertise. My preference is to one day end up in the film industry but I don't mind game development aside from the fact I need to watch my polycount. 
  • CursiveCardinal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga said:
    Thanks for the links very insightful! 
  • ferrettank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ferrettank polycounter lvl 2
    I am a full time Blender freelancer. It is all about your skill and how many people you show your artwork to. You need to play the numbers game. Show enough people and someone will have a job for you.  To get into the industry, you need to meet EVERYONE. Go to public gatherings, even if it isn't 3D specific. Heck, I meet ton potential clients at race tracks or mountain bike downhill parks. Get good at causally mentioning that you do 3D art and have a portfolio on your phone to show them on the spot. (luckily us 3D artists always do cool stuff, so most people are interested). From there it is a chance game. Also post on social media and forums. This will give you valuable critique and it puts your artwork in front of potential employers. Search job sites and apply to many jobs (have an online portfolio for this).  AS far as a degree goes, It is up to you. If you can keep focused and teach yourself, then go that route. I know many people who got into the industry by being self taught. 
  • CursiveCardinal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am a full time Blender freelancer. It is all about your skill and how many people you show your artwork to. You need to play the numbers game. Show enough people and someone will have a job for you.  To get into the industry, you need to meet EVERYONE. Go to public gatherings, even if it isn't 3D specific. Heck, I meet ton potential clients at race tracks or mountain bike downhill parks. Get good at causally mentioning that you do 3D art and have a portfolio on your phone to show them on the spot. (luckily us 3D artists always do cool stuff, so most people are interested). From there it is a chance game. Also post on social media and forums. This will give you valuable critique and it puts your artwork in front of potential employers. Search job sites and apply to many jobs (have an online portfolio for this).  AS far as a degree goes, It is up to you. If you can keep focused and teach yourself, then go that route. I know many people who got into the industry by being self taught. 
    Thanks for the reply!

At the moment I've just emailed a bunch of YouTubers and other small companies who might want a simple intro animation or a 3D company logo. I'll diffidently bring up that I'm a 3D artist more often at public gatherings. 

As for the degree, I want to move into professional animation at any studio I can. That being said I feel as though a degree is the best pathway forward as it might allow me to get an internship through the university.
  • beccatherose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beccatherose ngon master
    Seconding to work on a freelance game, and also that your skill level is the bottom line to get interviews!
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    I'm absolutely positive that it's going to be harder for you because your portofolio is more or less a colllection of tutorial results..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkAuK-WBmcU