Home General Discussion

looking for a career advice

monkey_T
null
Offline / Send Message
monkey_T null
Hello. 
I am a software programmer, but i always wanted to work in something that involves some creativity. not even sure what, anything that involves manipulating shape and color, basically.
also game development is something i just started exploring and i find very exciting. 
this is some of the stuff i have done so far.  https://www.behance.net/odedwolff
i hope this doesn't disturb your eyes too much. i obviously i have so much to learn, so i was playing with the idea to take half a year off (i have saved some money), and work intensively on my skills. i am mostly self taught, maybe i'd take some courses, but not a full study program. 
 would it be realistic to train myself in 6 months to be able to apply to any entry level job in graphics, design or game dev? or maybe i am being very naive, given there are many arts and design graduates that are having hard time finding employment?
i appreciate your advice and tips  

Replies

• Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakob Gavelli interpolator
    Heya @monkey_T
    I think programming is one of the most creative jobs there is, so don't put yourself down man ^^ Anything that requires problem solving over such a broad area is super creative. I have a very bad grasp when it comes to programming for games, but that sounds like a better option than doing a full 180 and become someone who does Art for a living. 

I think it would be great, if not necessary, to have a programmer on the team that can also do a bit of art or atleast understand the whole workflow. Same goes for artists who should know some basic scripting imo! That said I don't think 6 months seems realistic for where you're at at the moment. Here's my portfolio with which I started looking for jobs : https://jakobgavelli.carbonmade.com/ 
    I'm proud of it, but I would never be able to get any AAA-entry level job at Blizzard or Insomniac, etc, at this point. 

It's great but I don't think it's realistic to do a sudden switch over 6 months like that. I'd recommend looking for game developing jobs with your current skillset and be hungry to learn more about art from other artists on the job and work on a portfolio or a solo-project during your spare time, where you can use both your programming and art knowledge! =)

I'm still relatively new to the industry, so, grain of salt an all that ofc!
  • monkey_T
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkey_T null
    hi @Jakob Gavelli
    thanks for the feedback - it sounds very reasonable, if i can get a game development job i'd certainly go for it  
  • Macebo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macebo hero character
    Don't underestimate yourself. If you are really interested in something art related, go on, imerse yourself into the subject, experiment and see if it is really what you want to learn for the next 6 months. I myself, for instance, started learning 3d (with no art background whatsoever, only some oil painting here and there when i was younger) mid 2015. Later that year i modeled my first game ready asset, a lowpoly mustang. But i went head on into the subject, trying to learn every aspect i could, never giving up, with a mindset that i could reach the place into the industry. I'm still on that search, but i believe i made a significant progress.

3d modeling is more about sensibility for shapes, proportions, your observations skills (which you aprimorate as you observe and try to reproduce, it's not something inate)... So don't be fooled by a suposed lack of artistic skill.

Literally follow your dream, and foremost LIVE it. You will be surprised with the results.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkey_T said:
    naive, given there are many arts and design graduates that are having hard time finding employment?
    i appreciate your advice and tips  

You should consider working as a technical artist. 

A good technical artist needs engineering skills, art skills and communication skills.  Most tech artists start strong in one skill, ok in another skill and weak in the third skill. 

It's easier to find employment as a technical artist because almost nobody wants to do it and it requires a broad range of skills and interests.  We do things like vfx, physics simulations, shader writing, optimization of art, technical animation, rigging, etc.  The ability to write code to solve problems in any of these areas is extremely valuable. 
  • Mateus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mateus interpolator
    I work as a web programmer and have a similar idea to yours, but I haven't made up my mind yet.

IMHO you could keep saving money and playing more with art, letting to make this decision later. Try to do more characters or environments ( whatever interests you the most) before you jump into your 6 months of full time training.
  • MalloryW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MalloryW polycounter lvl 14
    How is your current job? Decent pay and good hours?

I would say if it's not terrible then definitely stick with your current job and take some fundamental art classes on the side until you figure out what you really want to focus on. Then keep sticking with your current job while you do your creative thing in your free time. Even if you take 6 months off it will still probably be a year or two before you land something in games. 

(Edit) huh, it posted an older draft... Oh well close enough :/ only other main point was "yes tech artists look into that"
  • monkey_T
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkey_T null
    @Mateus interestingly, i began to move into web development, thinking i'd get more chance to work with more visual aspects. but at the moment i only have realistic options to work as server side programmer. 
    as far as characters etc goes, i actually work quite a lot about it, mostly drawing, but should definitely start to model it more...
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Just because art is more "creative" doesn't mean it's a better or more fulfilling job. Don't let your job define your life. Life is long and goals change -as you're experiencing now.- Sometimes you just need to be pragmatic. The grass is always greener on the other side...
    Why not create game prototypes in your spare time while working as a programmer? Or save up for a few years and then work on your own projects full time? Can't get more creative than that.

Just looking at wages of programmers versus game artists, you'd have to be insane to want to switch. Tech art is an option but then you might as well be a game programmer? 

For a long time, my goal in life was to work on big game projects. When I got my first job at a game studio it was extremely anticlimactic. I realized I didn't actually want to just be a cog in a machine working on my own insignificant little slice of a project for the next 40 years.
    Oh well, these are just my jaded ramblings. 
  • monkey_T
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkey_T null
    Joost said:
    For a long time, my goal in life was to work on big game projects. When I got my first job at a game studio it was extremely anticlimactic. I realized I didn't actually want to just be a cog in a machine working on my own insignificant little slice of a project for the next 40 years.

@Joost funny, this is pretty much how i feel about software development :) the money is ok, but i am not sure it makes up for it
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Joost said:
    Just because art is more "creative" doesn't mean it's a better or more fulfilling job. Don't let your job define your life. Life is long and goals change -as you're experiencing now.- Sometimes you just need to be pragmatic. The grass is always greener on the other side...
    Why not create game prototypes in your spare time while working as a programmer? Or save up for a few years and then work on your own projects full time? Can't get more creative than that.

Just looking at wages of programmers versus game artists, you'd have to be insane to want to switch. Tech art is an option but then you might as well be a game programmer? 

Oh well, these are just my jaded ramblings. 
    very true. I liked the creative part of being an artist, but now as a tech artist I help artists to get their work done. Seeing projects and people succeed, increasing people's productivity and helping them is something I find much more rewarding.

The main difference between tech-artist and programmer is that tech-artists are in many cases support personnel. Unless you create shaders, substances, vfx or rigs, your work will not end up in the game. It's not a job where you can load up the game, point at something and say "I did that!". For me that was cool the first few times, but the satisfaction from this doesn't last very long. For me, seeing people use better tools and workflows every day is much more rewarding.
  • GeorgeCrudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeorgeCrudo interpolator
    I'm in a similar boat @monkey_T. I studied Computer Science in school and currently work developing apps for military simulations. Logically I think @Joost is totally right but I can't help but feel like I'd rather be working a job that is more art focused. Even if I stay in the simulation industry and I'm not necessarily creating art I'm super stoked about, (and with less pay!) I think it's just something I feel more comfortable in. I'm able to figure out a lot of programming concepts and understand things if I spend enough time with them. It just doesn't seem to come as naturally to me as it does to some of the other people I went to school with or work with. They study and are passionate about programming like I'm passionate about art. I don't really want to think about programming outside of work but I'm excited to get home and start doing 3D.

Then again, I know a job is just a job and I wonder if making art your job takes the passion out of you. I know it's not all fun and games there either. I really don't know man. But either way don't discard programming as it is a valuable skill set. As others have pointed out, definitely consider something like technical art as a blending between the two. It's something that I've been noodling for a little bit. And lastly, don't jump ship from something secure you have just to pursue the art unless you know it's something stable and you're certain about it. I think it's a slow process and you have to dedicate yourself to it while also still paying the bills and all that until you can safely pick a new path. Idk if any of this helped any but it was just some of my thoughts as I'm going through this as well lol I'm still trying to figure it all out as well. Hopefully we both do :)
  • monkey_T
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkey_T null
    @GeorgeCrudo thanks for your thoughts. i agree it is probably smart to be careful not to throw away programming so fast. my outlook, however, is that i often think i'd much rather be a janitor than go on writing more mind numbing code. i realize that i am possibly a little strange :) and if i can get a job with some visual aspect to it, i'd consider that a bonus. 
    Programming actually comes very naturally and easy for me. it feels to me something like stacking up clothes neatly in a closet. it is satisfying to some extent, but there must be something more to life than that. now i do realize that the grass on the other side might be much less green once you actually get there, but from my current point of view, the world of graphics seems much richer and deeper, and i definitely have more hunger to learn new stuff that is related to graphics than another language, framework or library, which are all pretty much the same for me. 
    I have also taken the approach of not expecting too much from work and do the things i care about when it's done, but there is just some inner voice that keeps telling me i really need to get away and stay away from that industry. but that is just me, i know a lot of people who couldn't imagine be doing anything else 
  • GeorgeCrudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeorgeCrudo interpolator
    @monkey_T  That's a pretty interesting perspective. I guess it comes down to if you're okay with your job or if it's making you miserable. Programming does have it's satisfying elements but I agree that graphics are much more captivating and interesting to learn. Then again when you look at salary comparisons between software guys and art guys it can really be depressing which pushes me more to the "not expecting much from work and do the things you care about when it's done category" but that doesn't get rid of the itch to do a job that's more fulfilling. It's a hard choice to make man haha. I really am starting to think a more technical art position might be the best route though. Just to get that right balance.

• Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    Just wanted to drop by. I studied Computer Science - was 3d and a designer for years and now came back to Frontend Development. Its very cool, because its programming but more visual than backend. 
    Im super happy with it - also when i left the game industry. Carrier wise - was the best choice ever - and who knows, maybe i come back.  As the other mentioned - You already have a creative job - solving problems is super creative! 
    I can encourage everyone here to seek for things thats awaking passion. Try different roles - try differend things - move on! 
  • monkey_T
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkey_T null
    @Alphavader web development does sound like a very interesting direction. i think also that web is changing so fast, and i think maybe 3d will become a more integral part of it, so maybe to overlap between the fields will be bigger in the future. 
  • zetheros
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    @monkey_T already happening I think; there's been a trend towards in-browser games. Would really like to work on one of those in the future.
  • beccatherose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beccatherose ngon master
    There's a lotta great wisdom in here, but here's my tidbit: 
    "i hope this doesn't disturb your eyes too much."
    Don't do that to yourself, my dude. Literally all of us started from nothing, so 90% of the people on these forums are going to be completely sympathetic. Don't degrade yourself to validate a realistic perspective. If you want to do this, then freakin' chase it. The road ahead doesn't diminish the journey behind you. You got this, just pursue what you love to do.