Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Akash

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Akash283 polycounter lvl 7
Hey all, thought I'd use this space to throw around process stuff and progress on various projects.

Here's one I just polished up. It's a UE4 scene with a bunch of sci-fi props that I concepted in 3d and then brought into the engine. 

This is mostly using tiling textures, with a few Substance Painter based procedurally textured.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    This looks neat!

I think the blue/yellow pipes/wires are a bit too colorful, pulls the eyes away from everything else. Same with the blue straps on each bundle.

Your images are very slow to load, which makes your post or thread very slow. Besides being impolite to others (making people wait, wasting mobile data caps, etc.), this reduces the likelihood of you getting good feedback. Probably because you're using PNGs instead of JPGs (see PNGs Suck on Polycount). We would appreciate it if you could fix your existing images, but of course this is up to you. Please see the sticky Information About Polycount & New Member Introductions, specifically the section "Make Your Artwork Easy to View". 
  • Akash283
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks neat!

I think the blue/yellow pipes/wires are a bit too colorful, pulls the eyes away from everything else. Same with the blue straps on each bundle.

Your images are very slow to load, which makes your post or thread very slow. Besides being impolite to others (making people wait, wasting mobile data caps, etc.), this reduces the likelihood of you getting good feedback. Probably because you're using PNGs instead of JPGs (see PNGs Suck on Polycount). We would appreciate it if you could fix your existing images, but of course this is up to you. Please see the sticky Information About Polycount & New Member Introductions, specifically the section "Make Your Artwork Easy to View". 
    Thanks for the feedback, Eric! I'll take a look into the post process or maybe deal with the textures directly. 

Didn't know that about the forum, you are correct they are PNGs. Will fix that.
  • Akash283
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a zoo file of the pieces I used.

• Akash283
    Offline / Send Message

Dead Space Pod Bay

Here's a dirty test render of a project I'm working on for school:

This is based on a concept from Dead Space (1st game), a pod bay which appears before the captain's cabin in the bridge area. Rendered in Vray. Trying to get the mood/lighting, hiding all the models and textures well enough while still showing the hard surface detail to give a feeling of cold machinery.

Here's the concept:

The current render is definitely diverting from the feel of the concept. I wanted to add in some of my own flare (especially as far as the models go) and it was also partly me interpreting what the pod looks like based on their inconsistent appearance. The sterile feel of the concept is broken up by that pus-like splatter on the floor, I want to try to capture that in what I have now, but it's still a little ways off. 

I redid the assets from a previous hard surface project. Here are what the original models looked like:

I think the models have come a long way. Previously, no significant thought was given to the mood being evoked by the shapes. Also the lighting was too diffuse. Tried to go with harsher angles and gloomier overall feel for the current render.

The main textures were established early on; here are the shaderball tests:

These were rendered in Substance Painter using iRay. This project was textured entirely in Painter, so a big part of the challenge was trying to achieve a 1 to 1 look from Painter to Vray, which for most people appears to be difficult to say the least. I ended up making a simple Painter to Vray output (the vray UDIM, and Vray presets. I used  Boardertron's tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu9q_FLxnbA 
    and tweaked the preset a little bit.

Moving on towards the final stretch now, it's due in two weeks. Focusing on lighting mostly and finishing the textures on minor props. Comments and critique welcome, still have a ways to get this to a desirable level.