Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Expert in a year - 3D artist

Replies

• emomobile
    Offline / Send Message
    emomobile polycounter lvl 9
    Try an outdoor scene. If you want a real challenge do something with lots of plants.
  • PattyWhacker
    Offline / Send Message
    PattyWhacker polycounter lvl 8
    How about something you'd see outside like a building. 
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Delighted to see so much progress in so little time :) Keep it up!
  • The Rizzler
    Offline / Send Message
    The Rizzler polycounter lvl 9
    I'm going to go against the grain and suggest that trying to punch up some of the props/texturing in this scene would be a better move than starting something else - there's nothing profoundly wrong with your modelling, it's just your textures don't go very far beyond a 'base layer'. Seeing as you already have a completed environment, it would be much easier to practice texturing on the props in this scene than starting everything from scratch in the next one, in my opinion. Still, it's amazing to see how much progress you've made in such a short time. Perhaps work on a single prop next but something more complex and really push the details in the texture?
  • mobkon
    Offline / Send Message
    mobkon polycounter lvl 6
    I'm going to go against the grain and suggest that trying to punch up some of the props/texturing in this scene would be a better move than starting something else - there's nothing profoundly wrong with your modelling, it's just your textures don't go very far beyond a 'base layer'. Seeing as you already have a completed environment, it would be much easier to practice texturing on the props in this scene than starting everything from scratch in the next one, in my opinion. Still, it's amazing to see how much progress you've made in such a short time. Perhaps work on a single prop next but something more complex and really push the details in the texture?
    I second this. Textures can be pushed much further. Doesn't seem like these are even PBR? What are you using for maps?
  • spexel
    Offline / Send Message
    spexel polycounter lvl 2
    Thanks for the suggestion! I already am trying to model a car right now and will probably try an outdoor environment after. As for the texture I completely agree with you guys that I could push it more. I am using Substance Painter&designer at the moment so I guess I am already working with a PBR workflow? After the car is done I will try to create every material for my outdoor scene to really understand the whole process.
  • spexel
    Offline / Send Message
    spexel polycounter lvl 2
    So here's the progress on the Audi R8 I'm modeling right now. This is the most challenging thing I had to model so far, fortunately I'm following a tutorial. 

• spexel
    Offline / Send Message
    spexel polycounter lvl 2
    I don't know if this is good practice but when I'm messing up placing my vertices I sometimes use the smooth tool in sculpting to prevent my smooth model to have dents in it?
  • Nerono
    Offline / Send Message
    Nerono polycounter lvl 5
    spexel said:
    I don't know if this is good practice but when I'm messing up placing my vertices I sometimes use the smooth tool in sculpting to prevent my smooth model to have dents in it?
    Hello, great start on your vehicle, first of all, I won't recommend using the smooth tool because when modeling a vehicle you are going for a specific surface shape and the smooth tool is quite random when it comes to the way it smooths, it does smooth your surface but it will make it lose its volume, in order to get a smooth shape which has the desired volume keep in mind that even spacing of vertices is key.
    The second thing is, it seems you split up the car too early to seperate pieces, take your time and finish the whole blockout of the car, than you should separate the object, splitting the car too early may result in unexpected and unwanted results, realizing you should have done something a little bit differently earlier (have another edge on the surface for example).
    Good luck, your will power is absolutely awesome!
  • spexel
    Offline / Send Message
    spexel polycounter lvl 2
    from now on I will have to improvise since the r8 I'm modeling is not the same model as in the tutorial. Wish me luck!

• spexel
    Offline / Send Message
    spexel polycounter lvl 2
  • purplekami
    Offline / Send Message
    purplekami polycounter lvl 2
    I think you're ready to tackle something mechanical that has some odd shapes and forms to it in order to really push on those modelling skills. For example at my school in order to get better at modelling you have to make either a drill or a digital camera, and you'll learn a ton by making either of those.
  • spexel
    Offline / Send Message
    spexel polycounter lvl 2
    I think you're ready to tackle something mechanical that has some odd shapes and forms to it in order to really push on those modelling skills. For example at my school in order to get better at modelling you have to make either a drill or a digital camera, and you'll learn a ton by making either of those.

Well so far I learned a lot modeling that car. But once it's finish i'll try to model something even more complex. So far the toughest object I had to model were the Audi r8, a telephone and a toilet. A digital camera is a great idea tho, maybe i'll try that next!
  • spexel
    Offline / Send Message
    spexel polycounter lvl 2
    slow progress, I had a busy week.

• spexel
    Offline / Send Message
    spexel polycounter lvl 2
    Fixed the front bumper, added mirrors and headlights

• DKeymer3d
    Offline / Send Message
    DKeymer3d polycounter lvl 5
    What you've got here is good. You've come quite a way for someone just starting out and you've shown you have the drive. However I wouldn't advise going onto another project just yet as I feel you could take what you have already and push it to the next level. Use this as an opportunity to try out new things, improve the quality of your art and show of what you can do. 

I'll start by saying that the thing that sticks out the most is the armchair. Yes, you've got the basic shape down but its lacks any surface definition. Basically it needs to show clearly what its made of and how. Look at examples of arm chairs and you will see that they have edges where pieces of material have been sew together. Even brand new armchairs will also have tiny folds, wrinkles or areas where the material is stretching. Right now it has nothing that tells the viewer what its made of. Use this as an opportunity to play around with zbrush. Just that little bit extra can take this a long way.

Looking back at what you have done over the last few months, I think the most important lesson you need to take away from this is when you come to model or texture anything, always ALWAYS look at real life examples to reference and draw inspiration from. Don't just work from your imagination and what you think something looks like.

Hope this has been helpful ;)
  • Noth
    Offline / Send Message
    Noth polycounter lvl 14
    You've really shown you have drive with this latest model. ;) Thanks DKeymer3d, lol

In all seriousness though, good progress. My main suggestion would be to think about your dream project, and make something from that. Not only will the designs be the most appealing to you and other people, you'll likely be more excited to work on it. You'll end up creating something better and if other people are fans of the project too, they'll be more likely to stop by and offer some advice, or even just keep tabs on your work. Plus, the best measure to see if you're employable is to reach for that quality bar set in current media - games/movies.

Goodluck, keep on keepin' on.
  • spexel
    Offline / Send Message
    spexel polycounter lvl 2
    finally had some time to work on my model, here's some updates!

• pixelpatron
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Seems too clean, like the style of the room skews older, like from the 90's (mainly due to the television and phone...etc.) I wouldn't expect the room to be so pristine. I'd expect it'd have carpet stains, patches, ding'd and scratched up walls. (not crazy "The Last of Us" level of grunge....but maybe 15% in that direction).

You have the bed messed up a bit, but you could still tell a story with your scene......Where are the suitcases? Clothes? Clothes/bathing suits on the floor/condoms? Half eaten Pizza? Drug deal gone bad? Money all over the floor, crime scene? It's a bit safe atm, you could do a lot of things with it to make it more interesting. 

I mean look at this....I can tell this guy is probly here on a trip to see his fav baseball team. His nice shirt is laid out ready for going out later that night, There are two hats, and two beds so probly two people. His phone's chargin, so they're gonna go out soon. Bathroom light is on...possibly someone in there, yep wallet is there by the pizza so someone def there. (shoes could be by door to take a step further.) 

Extra credit for the grease stain on the top of the pizza lid, you'd be surprised how many people forget to add that. Naughty Dog are masters at telling stories with just their environments. It's a subtle thing to learn, yet is the key to take an environment from just being a space....to becoming a part of the story/experience.

Good luck.
  • spexel
    Offline / Send Message
    spexel polycounter lvl 2
    Thanks for the tips, I might revisit the motel room later on, the goal of this project was more to create a couple assets and understand the workflow from Maya to unreal. My goal with the car now is to create a more complex model and learn how to render in Maya. My next project will be another environment and I will focus on creating all the materials and focus on details as well.
  • Tomiajayi
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomiajayi polycounter lvl 2
    great start!
    i received advice that you should work on something small and make it REALLY good vs large complex scenes.
    but heck, give yourself a year to master something, you're off to a great start.
    I'd say you're definitely not one of those guys that should go back to his "day job"
  • yukonwanderer
    Offline / Send Message
    yukonwanderer polygon
    Looking forward to seeing more progress on this thread!
  • Sajeet
    Offline / Send Message
    Sajeet polycounter lvl 7
    good stuff.. dont know what you should do next.. what do you want to do? im missing maybe a electrical outlet and maybe a power cord in this room.. just for the details you easy forget :)

• spexel
    Offline / Send Message
    spexel polycounter lvl 2
    Sajeet said:
    good stuff.. dont know what you should do next.. what do you want to do? im missing maybe a electrical outlet and maybe a power cord in this room.. just for the details you easy forget :)

As soon as I'm done with the car I think I will follow the advises I received here and do something small and make sure it is very well done. I thought about doing the busted sword from FF7 or maybe something dragon ball related.
  • Mossbros
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossbros polycounter lvl 9
    spexel said:
    Thanks for the suggestion! I already am trying to model a car right now and will probably try an outdoor environment after. As for the texture I completely agree with you guys that I could push it more. I am using Substance Painter&designer at the moment so I guess I am already working with a PBR workflow? After the car is done I will try to create every material for my outdoor scene to really understand the whole process.
    Just because you are using the right applications for PBR doesn't mean you are using the correct physical attributes of the said object. 
    You have to assign the right values to materials in the roughness/gloss and albedo still, or you will be using Physically based rendering with objects that aren't physically based.

Looking at your environment and the textures you've used on them, I can see a lot of the values are incorrect. I would also advise going back to refinese the textures, or learn from the mistakes. As the textures you made don't match real world ones. 
    Make sure to look at reference images A LOT when texturing, it's easy to think something looks like it should. But seeing the comparison of a real life object side by side, you really notice the mistakes. 
  • spexel
    Offline / Send Message
    spexel polycounter lvl 2
    Modeling done! I might tweak some stuff if I see things I don't like but it is pretty much done. Learned a lot in the process, now it's time for me to render this car and have a nice piece to add to my portfolio. Comments are welcome, as always!

• spexel
    Offline / Send Message
    spexel polycounter lvl 2
    Done for today! Tried a couple basic render, still trying to understand all the settings.

• Doxturtle
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
    Wow this looks really good, you've made a ton of progress really quickly in this thread :) 

The weakest part of the render IMO is the windows, did you model an interior?
  • The Rizzler
    Offline / Send Message
    The Rizzler polycounter lvl 9
    You're showing some serious drive getting things done like this, good job
    Definitely spend some time getting the render right, could end up looking really good.  
  • spexel
    Offline / Send Message
    spexel polycounter lvl 2
    Doxturtle said:
    Wow this looks really good, you've made a ton of progress really quickly in this thread :) 

The weakest part of the render IMO is the windows, did you model an interior?
    I didn't do the interior so the window need to be opaque or close to. This is my first render though, still lot to do. Thanks for the feedbacks :)
  • spexel
    Offline / Send Message
    spexel polycounter lvl 2
    You're showing some serious drive getting things done like this, good job
    Definitely spend some time getting the render right, could end up looking really good.  
    Thanks! :) I will definetly try to get the best render i can. 
  • amirabd2130
    Offline / Send Message
    amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
    looking forward to this
  • spexel
    Offline / Send Message
    spexel polycounter lvl 2
    I decided to go with the look found in car ads but I get a strange shadows under the car and I can't figure out how to fix it. Any ideas? This is a very low res render but I still get the same result on a more intense render. I use Maya 2016

I followed this tutorial for this render: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvvs50Kpo3E

• spexel
  • spexel
    Offline / Send Message
    spexel polycounter lvl 2
    What should I do beside adding something on the front plate?
  • spexel
    Offline / Send Message
    spexel polycounter lvl 2

Alright I'm calling this done!

On to the next project!

• spexel
    Offline / Send Message
    spexel polycounter lvl 2
    A lot of you told me I should do something small next and focus on details and texture. I found a good tutorial for an AKM. I'll keep you posted on my progress!
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    you car turned out nice. i think you might want to take some time, render it from different angles, try different lighting and FOVs. presentation goes a very long way. your render is good but it almost seems like if someone took an iphone pic of a car from standing height. what about a lower angle? what about a different aperture? tinkering with rendering has big payoffs, you can make the same model look great or shabby based on how you present it.

anyway, go for it with the AKM tutorial if you want. but also consider doing smaller props, things you can find around the house. a hammer, a drill, maybe a phone or a desk. these things are smaller in scope. and real life reference objects will be very helpful in learning texturing. just 2 cents
  • spexel
    Offline / Send Message
    spexel polycounter lvl 2
    you car turned out nice. i think you might want to take some time, render it from different angles, try different lighting and FOVs. presentation goes a very long way. your render is good but it almost seems like if someone took an iphone pic of a car from standing height. what about a lower angle? what about a different aperture? tinkering with rendering has big payoffs, you can make the same model look great or shabby based on how you present it.

anyway, go for it with the AKM tutorial if you want. but also consider doing smaller props, things you can find around the house. a hammer, a drill, maybe a phone or a desk. these things are smaller in scope. and real life reference objects will be very helpful in learning texturing. just 2 cents
    I agree with you, I guess I was just a bit tired of working on the R8. As for the AKM I approach it with the idea of really pushing the details and the render just like you said about small props and it shouldn't take forever to model (I hope). 
  • Nerdicon3000
    Offline / Send Message
    Nerdicon3000 polycounter lvl 8
    If you think your ready I would try something small like the others said but also go for some high poly to low poly baking. It might be a bit of a jump this early on but just watch a couple of tutorials and see if you want to try it. You have made heaps of progress so far, keep it up!
  • spexel
    Offline / Send Message
    spexel polycounter lvl 2
    If you think your ready I would try something small like the others said but also go for some high poly to low poly baking. It might be a bit of a jump this early on but just watch a couple of tutorials and see if you want to try it. You have made heaps of progress so far, keep it up!
    Almost everything in the first room I modeled was high poly to low poly so I already tried that. Baking with substance painter isn't really that hard but I guess the more complex the model the less this is true.
  • Nerdicon3000
    Offline / Send Message
    Nerdicon3000 polycounter lvl 8
    Sorry I meant modeling in the high poly detail. The first objects in your room would be considered very high poly for what they are. You need to avoid using all those edge loops. I will use your remote as an example. Here is a model I just made for you to see how the buttons and usual kind of inserts do not need to be modeled in your low poly, they can be baked down to your normal map. That way your UV's will be really simple and this took me about 7 mins to model and bake. I am telling you all this because to become employable, it's all about efficiency and speed. 

Oh and This is the high poly, Pretty terrible but it was nice and quick!

• spexel
    Offline / Send Message
    spexel polycounter lvl 2
    Alright so I decided to only work (play poker) 3 times a week to focus more on 3D. My goal is to be able to get my first paid contract in 6 months. Do you guys think this is a reasonable time line? If not what would be a good one?
  • spexel
    Offline / Send Message
    spexel polycounter lvl 2
    some progress on the AKM, magazine is done!

• spexel
    Offline / Send Message
    spexel polycounter lvl 2
    Some progress on the AKM:

• samwoodart
    Offline / Send Message
    samwoodart polycounter lvl 7
    Dude this is some incredibly inspirational work.  :p
  • spexel
    Offline / Send Message
    spexel polycounter lvl 2
    Dude this is some incredibly inspirational work.  :p
    Thanks a lot!
  • spexel
    Offline / Send Message
    spexel polycounter lvl 2
    decided to stop the AK47 as I messed up a couple of things and didn't feel like redoing most of the stuff since the goal was to do a small asset to begin with. I started working on a knife instead. Almost done with the high poly, I didn't planned well enough, I should have duplicated some piece before beveling, now I'm gonna have to do more work than needed for the low poly. Anyways. here is the high poly almost completed, C&C welcome as always.

• dlinzp
    Offline / Send Message
    dlinzp polycounter lvl 3
    great progress! I think you had better choose a specialization. Like character artist or environment artist. And push forward in that way. Because it is better to be very good specialist in one area of 3d than just specialist in 2-3 areas. It is just my opinion. Wish you all the best. I will keep an eye on you :)
  • spexel
    Offline / Send Message
    spexel polycounter lvl 2
    Still have to fix some baking issues but I threw in some smart material just to see how it look so far.