Home Technical Talk

[Photoshop Extension] Normally Panel

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
TooLzor polycounter lvl 10
Heyo Me again, 

So @malcolm was wanting some Normal Map related scripts and I made some. Since there was more than 1 or 2 and they can all kind of come in handy I bundled them into an extension. Currently it is available for CS6 and CC (14/15 known to work so far)

Feature Run down so far is 8 buttons that do the following:

Normally Blue (NM Blue)
This is the first version of Normally Blue which toggles the selected layers blending mode to 
Overlay (or Normal if Overlay is already active) and toggles the blue channel on/off

Normally Blue (NM Blue 2)
Second Version of Normally Blue which was requested to be updated by Malcolm again. 
This will toggle selected layers will be set to Linear Light with a 50% fill
with the Layer Style of Color Overlay (color of 255,255,128) blendmode of Linear Burn

90Clockwise
Rotate the selected Normal Map layers by 90 degrees clockwise

90 Counter Clockwise
Rotate the selected Normal Map layers by 90 degrees Counter clockwise.

90Clockwise invert Y
Rotate the selected Normal Map layers by 90 degrees clockwise and invert the Y

90 Counter Clockwise invert Y
Rotate the selected Normal Map layers by 90 degrees Counter clockwise and invert the Y

180 Rotate
Rotate the selected Normal Map layers by 180 degrees.

Invert
Just inverts the Y of the normal map layer.

Gif of it in action.

Like Layer Cake you can select groups and it will work on all of the visible child paint layers within groups and their child groups. You can also select any non grouped layers or combo's of groups. 
It also only creates 1 history state regardless of how many layers you throw at it. 

You can grab the script at 
http://www.travisevashkevich.com/NormallyPanel.html
As always, I'd be super happy if people that use it and like it could give me some "testimonials" of some sort.

I hope you guys enjoy it and that it comes in handy. 

Versions:
V1.3
-----
June 5/2016
CS6 version had 180 filp on the invert button. Fixed to actually be the invert button.
Fixed issue where if you scaled non universally (or moved a scaled univerisally) map, rotations would give you a strip of corruption. (Paste in Place instead of Paste)

V1.2
-----
June 2/2016
Missed an important function in Normally Blue script so it wouldn't work on groups.

V1.1
-----
May 27/2016
Fixed bugs in CC version. Was unusual behaviour which has been fixed.

V 1.0
-----
May 26/2016
Released into the wild.

Replies

• cmc444
    Offline / Send Message
    cmc444 polycounter lvl 11
    This is so awesome! Thanks for sharing. Ill have to give it a go tonight.
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    cmc444 said:
    This is so awesome! Thanks for sharing. Ill have to give it a go tonight.
    No problem, let me know how it goes :)
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated because I missed a vital function to make Normally Blue 1 work on grouped layers. Works now.
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Toolzor, hey just downloaded latest from your website and tried it, found some bugs.
    1. Clicking the normally blue 2 button literally does nothing for me. The button animates and nothing happens to the ps doc.
    2. Clicking the invert button behaves unexpectedly, it literally inverts the image, rather than inverting the normal map y up direction, it appears to be doing the same thing as rotating the layer 180 degrees using your rotation button. I think most artists would expect the invert button to swap the y channel or whatever so the bump goes down instead of up.
    3. When rotating a layer the resulting rotation creates a corrupted looking stripe on the normal map, no matter what way you rotate it always adds a thick line of broken to the edge of that layer. Perhaps because I have a layer that has transparency in it? Try making a normal map layer that is just a box shape with transparency on all sides.
    4. Is there a way to map a hotkey for the normally blue script rather than having to open the toolbox each time? I'd like to use that one frequently.

By the way, this is a great idea, once you've got the kinks sorted out I think these little extension widgets are a really nice way to get this stuff into Photoshop.
  • malcolm
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm said:
    Toolzor, hey just downloaded latest from your website and tried it, found some bugs.
    1. Clicking the normally blue 2 button literally does nothing for me. The button animates and nothing happens to the ps doc.
    2. Clicking the invert button behaves unexpectedly, it literally inverts the image, rather than inverting the normal map y up direction, it appears to be doing the same thing as rotating the layer 180 degrees using your rotation button. I think most artists would expect the invert button to swap the y channel or whatever so the bump goes down instead of up.
    3. When rotating a layer the resulting rotation creates a corrupted looking stripe on the normal map, no matter what way you rotate it always adds a thick line of broken to the edge of that layer. Perhaps because I have a layer that has transparency in it? Try making a normal map layer that is just a box shape with transparency on all sides.
    4. Is there a way to map a hotkey for the normally blue script rather than having to open the toolbox each time? I'd like to use that one frequently.

By the way, this is a great idea, once you've got the kinks sorted out I think these little extension widgets are a really nice way to get this stuff into Photoshop.
    1. No idea. Works for me. Can someone else confirm it broken?
    2. Yeah I zigged when I shoulda zagged (aka I copy pasted and forgot to update the script it should run lol)
    3. The reason it happens is because if you use a non square layer, and the way I "was" pasting the channels around (Should have been Paste in Place(which I thought it was, but it wasn't). GG Adobe.
    It's now fixed in V 1.3

4. If you wanted to you could grab the NormallyBlue2.jsx from the NormallyPanelCC/jsx/ folder and then put in you scripts folder and hotkey that.
  • CreativeSheep
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    I had an old dummy Photoshop Script and it doesn't work anymore in 2015.5 it has to be signed; unlike 2015.  

Adobe is always taking stuff out of the program; for example, Adobe Sync this feature was great for migrating from one version of Photoshop to another, now you must manually re-custom your UI lucky in my case I know exactly how I like to work so setup may only take up to twenty minutes but extensions must be updated.
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    @CreativeSheep are you getting a signing error with this or?
  • CreativeSheep
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    ToolZor - Another sample extension I created; I have to dig into this. Any problems with any of your extensions from users on 2015.5 ?
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    @CreativeSheep none that have been reported. Just 2015.0.0 for me.
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    Normally Panel has been updated to 1.3.1 and also put on Gumroad
    It, like the other 2 extensions have received new icons to make them more appealing looking
    CC versions also have the same treatment as others where they now use a hosted online page for the panel
    when users don't have net connection, they will be loading an offline packaged page that way they can still continue to use the extension

I also updated NM Blue 2 at the request of @malcolm (since we apparently forgot a checkbox :tongue:

So hopefully this is all good and I don't need to update it for a while :expressionless:
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    Version 1.3.3 is up on Gumroad. 
    Adds a fallback for the CC version in the case of my website going down it will use the offline page that is packed with it
    Also removes the 2 90 invert Y rotate buttons as I received feedback that it was confusing (as these are the buttons most people want to use but thought the regular 90 were instead) The invert Y have been put on the regular buttons to now help avoid confusion in the future :)
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Just want to quickly say thanks for making this, works great and simple to use, just like I like it! :)